IN IN - Burger Chef murders, Speedway, 17 Nov 1978

cnmccarthy

Reaction score
The whole thing is peculiar, but what i find especially strange is that each of the victims were murdered in a different fashion, almost like the victims were used as experimental guinea pigs to see which is the best way to kill somebody. Rehearsal?
speculation, imo.

Next In Line: The Burger Chef Murders – Indianapolis Monthly
"There also didn’t seem to be a clear reason why someone would want to murder one or all of these young people. Indeed, the fact that the kidnappers had murdered them in three different ways seemed to suggest they hadn’t planned on murdering anyone in the first place. The kidnappers had shot Davis and Shelton multiple times in the head, neck and shoulders, and stabbed Friedt twice in the heart with a hunting knife whose handle had broken off and was now missing.

What happened to Flemmonds was a little harder to figure out. “There were contusions on his face, but that’s not what killed him,” Young says. “He died of asphyxiation; he choked on his own blood.” One theory was that Flemmonds had escaped from the kidnappers and accidentally knocked himself out by running into a tree. Another was that the kidnappers had beat him and he fell down in the woods from his injuries and died. “But bottom line is, if he would’ve fallen any other way, it’s possible they would’ve had a living witness,” she says.

Investigators wondered if the kidnappers had only meant to rob the store and had taken the employees hostage when one recognized them. Because Flemmonds was covering another employee’s shift that night, investigators speculated the kidnappers hadn’t planned on him being there, and he was the one who recognized them. This could explain why the kidnappers singled him out to beat him, if that’s what happened. Flemmonds was also the only black employee working that night (the three others were white), but the police didn’t investigate this as a racially motivated crime."
It’s definitely possible they were murdered different ways due to curiosity. I grew up with and knew the killers of a fellow high schooler and they killed her due to “morbid curiosity” so it is definitely something that happens from time to time.

Onaliv

Reaction score
It’s definitely possible they were murdered different ways due to curiosity. I grew up with and knew the killers of a fellow high schooler and they killed her due to “morbid curiosity” so it is definitely something that happens from time to time.

Good points - also not sure if Indy had gang activity in 1978 but that’s also a possibility as they often have no rhyme or reason as to the “why”, they just kill.

Onaliv

Reaction score
Does anybody know if Jayne’s Vega was actually witnessed at the BC parking lot “before” the event?

ColyH

Reaction score
I believe the robbery at the Burger Chef that night was done by newbies who panicked and made some stupid choices that led to the four Burger Chef employees being murdered. They got away because the cops botched the investigation at the crime scene and it wasn't until two days later the bodies of the four murder victims was discovered.

Earth

Reaction score
This might be a long shot, but is it possible that this case might have been committed by Harry Greenwell, the recently identified I-65 killer?

meanmaryjean

Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)
Reaction score
This might be a long shot, but is it possible that this case might have been committed by Harry Greenwell, the recently identified I-65 killer?
That Burger Chef is a couple of miles through fairly dense development from I-65. So doubtful- I think he might be responsible for Victoria Harshman at the Lebanon, IN Holiday Inn in 1987.

dotr

Reaction score
May 15 2022
1652669684917.png
The four victims of the unsolved Burger Chef murders: Jayne Friedt, 20, Ruth Shelton, 18, Daniel Davis, 16, and Mark Flemmonds, 16.INDIANA STATE POLICE

“One of the things every department could do is allow outside eyes to look at the files,” he said.

In the U.S., the Murder Accountability Project (Arntfield is a member) has pushed what’s called the Family Rights Act, which calls for a second agency or a peer review to go over the files after a certain amount of time. The bill has bipartisan approval.''

One particularly grisly homicide where this law would be applicable would be the Nov. 17, 1978 Burger Chef murders in Speedway, Ind. Four young workers were taken from the restaurant and shot to death.

“There’s a lawyer in Indiana who wants the Burger Chef files unsealed. He’s fighting tooth and nail for this. The murders were 44 years ago, why the resistance?” Arntfield said.

Retired detectives and the famed Vidocq Society can be those fresh eyes in horrific murders like the Burger Chef massacre.''

Satch

Reaction score
Does this Burger Chef location still exist? I don't think so, but want to be sure. What is there now?

Satch

meanmaryjean

Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)
Reaction score
Does this Burger Chef location still exist? I don't think so, but want to be sure. What is there now?

Satch
I think it is the parking lot of a strip mall now. Burger Chef became Hardee's and the nearest one is 2525 N High School Road - Google street view of the N Crawfordsville RD address of the crime shows a vacant structure which might have been the old BC building.

Last edited: