IN IN - Burger Chef murders, Speedway, 17 Nov 1978

The whole thing is peculiar, but what i find especially strange is that each of the victims were murdered in a different fashion, almost like the victims were used as experimental guinea pigs to see which is the best way to kill somebody. Rehearsal?
speculation, imo.

Next In Line: The Burger Chef Murders – Indianapolis Monthly
"There also didn’t seem to be a clear reason why someone would want to murder one or all of these young people. Indeed, the fact that the kidnappers had murdered them in three different ways seemed to suggest they hadn’t planned on murdering anyone in the first place. The kidnappers had shot Davis and Shelton multiple times in the head, neck and shoulders, and stabbed Friedt twice in the heart with a hunting knife whose handle had broken off and was now missing.

What happened to Flemmonds was a little harder to figure out. “There were contusions on his face, but that’s not what killed him,” Young says. “He died of asphyxiation; he choked on his own blood.” One theory was that Flemmonds had escaped from the kidnappers and accidentally knocked himself out by running into a tree. Another was that the kidnappers had beat him and he fell down in the woods from his injuries and died. “But bottom line is, if he would’ve fallen any other way, it’s possible they would’ve had a living witness,” she says.

Investigators wondered if the kidnappers had only meant to rob the store and had taken the employees hostage when one recognized them. Because Flemmonds was covering another employee’s shift that night, investigators speculated the kidnappers hadn’t planned on him being there, and he was the one who recognized them. This could explain why the kidnappers singled him out to beat him, if that’s what happened. Flemmonds was also the only black employee working that night (the three others were white), but the police didn’t investigate this as a racially motivated crime."
It’s definitely possible they were murdered different ways due to curiosity. I grew up with and knew the killers of a fellow high schooler and they killed her due to “morbid curiosity” so it is definitely something that happens from time to time.

It’s definitely possible they were murdered different ways due to curiosity. I grew up with and knew the killers of a fellow high schooler and they killed her due to “morbid curiosity” so it is definitely something that happens from time to time.

Good points - also not sure if Indy had gang activity in 1978 but that’s also a possibility as they often have no rhyme or reason as to the “why”, they just kill.

Does anybody know if Jayne’s Vega was actually witnessed at the BC parking lot “before” the event?

I believe the robbery at the Burger Chef that night was done by newbies who panicked and made some stupid choices that led to the four Burger Chef employees being murdered. They got away because the cops botched the investigation at the crime scene and it wasn't until two days later the bodies of the four murder victims was discovered.

This might be a long shot, but is it possible that this case might have been committed by Harry Greenwell, the recently identified I-65 killer?

This might be a long shot, but is it possible that this case might have been committed by Harry Greenwell, the recently identified I-65 killer?
That Burger Chef is a couple of miles through fairly dense development from I-65. So doubtful- I think he might be responsible for Victoria Harshman at the Lebanon, IN Holiday Inn in 1987.

May 15 2022
1652669684917.png
The four victims of the unsolved Burger Chef murders: Jayne Friedt, 20, Ruth Shelton, 18, Daniel Davis, 16, and Mark Flemmonds, 16.INDIANA STATE POLICE

“One of the things every department could do is allow outside eyes to look at the files,” he said.

In the U.S., the Murder Accountability Project (Arntfield is a member) has pushed what’s called the Family Rights Act, which calls for a second agency or a peer review to go over the files after a certain amount of time. The bill has bipartisan approval.''

One particularly grisly homicide where this law would be applicable would be the Nov. 17, 1978 Burger Chef murders in Speedway, Ind. Four young workers were taken from the restaurant and shot to death.

“There’s a lawyer in Indiana who wants the Burger Chef files unsealed. He’s fighting tooth and nail for this. The murders were 44 years ago, why the resistance?” Arntfield said.

Retired detectives and the famed Vidocq Society can be those fresh eyes in horrific murders like the Burger Chef massacre.''

Does this Burger Chef location still exist? I don't think so, but want to be sure. What is there now?

Satch
I think it is the parking lot of a strip mall now. Burger Chef became Hardee's and the nearest one is 2525 N High School Road - Google street view of the N Crawfordsville RD address of the crime shows a vacant structure which might have been the old BC building.

Last edited:
I think it is the parking lot of a strip mall now. Burger Chef became Hardee's and the nearest one is 2525 N High School Road - Google street view of the N Crawfordsville RD address of the crime shows a vacant structure which might have been the old BC building.
The location is currently an abandoned building. It has been various things, but currently vacant. Ashely Flower's podcast Red Ball goes by it in the second episode.

I just spoke to an acquaintance about the Delphi murders case, and he mentioned he’d been watching the show on the Burger Chef murders. Get this—he was at a friend’s house 200 feet behind the Burger Chef, playing pool and loud music in the basement during the kidnapping. They didn’t see or hear anything. He went to school with one of the boys killed. He said he’ll never forget this case.

He personally doesn’t think it can be solved because the store was cleaned. Did the police still try to obtain prints, at least from the cash drawers? I can’t imagine they’d clean the cash drawers (even though they should since money is so dirty).

I just spoke to an acquaintance about the Delphi murders case, and he mentioned he’d been watching the show on the Burger Chef murders. Get this—he was at a friend’s house 200 feet behind the Burger Chef, playing pool and loud music in the basement during the kidnapping. They didn’t see or hear anything. He went to school with one of the boys killed. He said he’ll never forget this case.

He personally doesn’t think it can be solved because the store was cleaned. Did the police still try to obtain prints, at least from the cash drawers? I can’t imagine they’d clean the cash drawers (even though they should since money is so dirty).

TY, from link..
1703809847722.png
''Cain and Greenlee hope this latest chapter in the saga of the Burger Chef murders can create some movement in the case

”Any time people hear about this case it has the chance of awakening someone’s memory about something,” Greenlee said. ”So many people when this happened were just kids, they were teens. They may have been involved in something that seemed bad at the time, like drugs, and they were embarrassed to talk about or they may have seen something at the time that they didn’t realize was important.”

A spokesperson for the ISP said it has no updates on the case and asked if anyone has any information to reach out to ISP or CrimeStoppers at 317-262-TIPS.''

@CourtTV

45 years ago, four young fast-food employees were kidnapped and murdered in one of Indiana's most notorious and confounding unsolved crimes.

1709669397494.png

SPEEDWAY, Ind. (Scripps News Indianapolis) — 45 years ago, four young fast-food employees were kidnapped and murdered. The cold-case, which remains unsolved, is the subject of an upcoming true crime documentary.

“The Speedway Murders” tells the story of four Burger Chef employees who were kidnapped from a restaurant in Speedway, Indiana, on Nov. 17, 1978.

The bodies of Jayne Friedt, 20, Ruth Shelton, 17, Mark Flemmonds, 17, and Daniel Davis, 16, were discovered two days later in a remote area of Johnson County.

FBI files: A link to the full FBI file on the Burger Chef murders is available below:

Page 3 of FBI files Burger Chef Murders

View attachment 488161
New documentary explores 1978 Burger Chef murders
last updated 1:56 PM, Mar 04, 2024
Looking through the file, only two of the victims' addresses were censored. Wondering why, I looked up Ruth's address, 3040 Lupine Drive, Indianapolis, which appears to be one of the homes demolished in 2007 during the widening of I-465. I guess that emphasizes just how long this case has remained unsolved.

Addition: The July 16, 1978 murder of six Steakhouse workers in Oklahoma City was referenced by Jane's mother to investigators as something Jane told her that the Burger Chef employees had discussed. At this point in November 1978 the six murders were still unsolved, and it seems like that case could have easily gone cold like the Burger Chef murders if this didn't happen:

"Roger Dale Stafford caused his own demise with a drunken phone call to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation on Jan. 3, 1979.

The day before, the OSBI had released composite sketches of three people wanted for questioning about all nine murders [he killed a family of 3 the month before the Steakhouse murders]. Stafford, whose wife had left him by then, identified himself as a trucker and said he recognized two of the people as Harold and Verna Stafford.

Two months later, Linville and another investigator flew to Chicago and arrested Verna Stafford, who quickly snitched on her estranged husband. Three days later, he was captured in a YMCA lobby in Chicago."

Last edited:
Description of the two men seen behind Burger Chef shortly before the time of the robbery, from the FBI file:

1) WHITE; MALE; 35 YEARS OLD; 5'10"; STOCKY BUILD; VERY DARK BROWN OR BLACK HAIR, SLIGHTLY CURLY, PARTED IN MIDDLE; FULL BEARD AND MUSTACHE, NOT TRIMMED; WEARING BLUE QUILTED HEAVY WAIST LENGTH JACKET AND BLUE JEANS; SPOKE WITH RASPY VOICE AND HELD BLUE BANDANA WITH WHITE DESIGN OVER MOUTH.

2) WHITE; MALE; 30 YEARS OLD; 5'7-9"; MEDIUM BUILD; DARK HAIR, LIGHTER THAN UNSUB #1, CUT SHORT, PARTED LEFT SIDE; NARROW FACE, SLIGHTLY HIGH FOREHEAD; CLEAN SHAVEN; WEARING DARK COLORED PILE-LINED COAT, BLUE JEANS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back