IN IN - Dr. Promila Mehta-Paul, 70, Munster, 21 March 2011 *Guilty plea to amended charges*

Any news from da' Region?

I've been thinking about this case - wondering if anything has happened lately......

Any news from da' Region?

I've been thinking about this case - wondering if anything has happened lately......

This hasn't been featured on the morning or evening news in quite some time.

I haven't been on WS for a while and recently came back. I was thinking about this case this morning and was trying to find new info in the paper. All of the articles are at least a month old.

Too bad for her family who might not get closure.

The silence on this case has been absolutely deafening. I have been trying to gather information on this case since I joined the site, and the media reports are limited to the few articles that have already been posted, plus one dude's blog detailing just how much animosity there was between the two doctors Mehta-Paul.

One thing that's really bothering me about this case is the fact that no one in the community--and by "community" I mean specifically the Indian/Indian-American community--has said a word about this. Usually if there's a missing person I can find their cases on one of the Indian-American papers or blogs I read, or my mom tells me about them after reading papers written in India or talking to her friends in the community. The only other road I can possibly take is perhaps asking a family friend if she's heard about this case; both she and Dr. Mehta-Paul are Indian physicians of about the same age. There's a chance that they might have crossed paths at a seminar out of state.

Oh, and should I submit this story as a tip to the Sepia Mutiny blog? They're a blog about desis in America, and they've run stories about missing NRIs before.

The silence on this case has been absolutely deafening. I have been trying to gather information on this case since I joined the site, and the media reports are limited to the few articles that have already been posted, plus one dude's blog detailing just how much animosity there was between the two doctors Mehta-Paul.

One thing that's really bothering me about this case is the fact that no one in the community--and by "community" I mean specifically the Indian/Indian-American community--has said a word about this. Usually if there's a missing person I can find their cases on one of the Indian-American papers or blogs I read, or my mom tells me about them after reading papers written in India or talking to her friends in the community. The only other road I can possibly take is perhaps asking a family friend if she's heard about this case; both she and Dr. Mehta-Paul are Indian physicians of about the same age. There's a chance that they might have crossed paths at a seminar out of state.

Oh, and should I submit this story as a tip to the Sepia Mutiny blog? They're a blog about desis in America, and they've run stories about missing NRIs before.

nickel:
I don't know what NRI's are, but I can guess. I also don't know what the
Sepia Mutiny blog is, but if it what I think it is, then go for it.
My opinion: Whatever or whoever could help get the word out is a good thing.

"Desi" is a term that refers to a person of South Asian origin, primarily from Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. It comes from a Sanskrit word that means "homeland".

NRI means "non-resident Indian". It is a term that applies to those of Indian origin that live in other countries (emigres).

I am interested to know how in some articles they found out if Dr. M-P traveled to India. I'm a US citizen with a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) passport, which means I'm entitled to leave the US without having to go through the visa process enter India. If Dr. M-P is a US citizen, I think that she, like my parents, also has a PIO passport and would therefore be more difficult to trace because there's only a record of her passports and not a visa application process.

"Desi" is a term that refers to a person of South Asian origin, primarily from Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. It comes from a Sanskrit word that means "homeland".

NRI means "non-resident Indian". It is a term that applies to those of Indian origin that live in other countries (emigres).

I am interested to know how in some articles they found out if Dr. M-P traveled to India. I'm a US citizen with a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) passport, which means I'm entitled to leave the US without having to go through the visa process enter India. If Dr. M-P is a US citizen, I think that she, like my parents, also has a PIO passport and would therefore be more difficult to trace because there's only a record of her passports and not a visa application process.

Thank you for this information. It shows how little I know about other communities/cultures.
Nickel, we need you here on WS.

Okay guys, I sent in the news tip! I'll let you all know if it gets posted as a featured story.

So this is going to turn into one of those cases that never gets closure, eh? I sure hope not. I was home last week and did not see any type of poster/billboard/story about this doctor's disappearance. Nothing. And when I asked the folks I was with- the answer was "You mean she never came back yet?"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...octors-disappearance-20110908,0,6831096.story

"Police now believe that a northwest Indiana eye doctor missing since March is dead and they have named her 38-year-old son as a "person of interest" who may have been involved in her disappearance."

Finally. A 'person of interest' in her disappearance.
I can't imagine what it would take for him to tell what really happened to his mother and where she is located, but I hope he does.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back