Found Deceased IN - Emma, 2 mos, (mom Rachel McAfee, 36, fnd alive), Indianapolis, 4 Mar 2019 *mother arrested*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Mar 5, 2019.

1. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Police say 36-year-old Rachel McAfee is being treated at Eskenazi Hospital for frostbite after being found in her car, in a north side neighborhood, with her two-month-old daughter, Emma. The mom is in stable condition, but the two-month-old was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to police, she's been battling postpartum depression and might have been suicidal.

Missing Indianapolis baby found dead, mother in hospital

2. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

Maybe they didn't really choose or decide to get pregnant. It looks like it was a big gap in ages between the oldest. No birth control other than sterilization is fool proof. It could be that they just chose not to abort after unintentionally getting pregnant.

3. sloane7777

sloane7777 Well-Known Member

I don't know why postpartum is not taken more seriously

4. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

5. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

How many years does that carry?

6. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

Can we not wait for an autopsy, cause of death, charges (or none) from the DA before we all act like we know the outcome and the personal thoughts of everyone involved in the investigation?

7. BrownRice

BrownRice Well-Known Member

So since this is a neglect charge, I think she got plastered drunk and passed out all day. It’s been really cold this week. Monday was in the teens (high) and sure of the windchill. No way an infant could survive that for long. Of course I’m just guessing.

I think there is some merit to her being a white, middle class (and attractive) woman. How is this any different than someone leaving a baby in a hot car? Some of those parents get arrested for murder or manslaughter.

Regardless it’s very sad. Can’t imag the agony the little baby suffered.

8. meanmaryjean

I will say this- the media is going with the picture they have. The mom is still in the hospital so there IS no mug shot. I am local and would be uber curious as to where the vehicle was found.

9. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

10. wary

wary Well-Known Member

I believe that this would be the equivalent of locking yourself and the baby in a hot car. That’s a situation that I haven’t come across before, and one that would seriously make me wonder about mental illness.

11. sloane7777

sloane7777 Well-Known Member

If she has frostbite she truly must have been out of her mind or really drunk either way it is an illness , so I will be surprised if they just lock her up.

12. meanmaryjean

I will say from where the vehicle was found Eskenazi is NOT the closest hospital. But is IS the only one with an adult burn unit. Cold injuries to tissue are in deed "burns" or more correctly thermal injuries. So the fact that she was kept overnight indicates to me she had some serious cold-related issues.

13. doodles1211

doodles1211 Well-Known Member

That was my thought, when I heard she was only being charged with neglect. Was she sitting in the car getting drunk, while the baby froze to death?

14. PajamaSleuth

PajamaSleuth Active Member

How do we “know” she is an alcoholic? From the father? The one who left his child with her?

Post Partum Depression/Anxiety/etc is real. There is not a lot of support or education about it. It’s tragic.

15. lark75

lark75 Active Member

I’m local and a long time websleuths lurker and signed up just to follow this case. It just reminds you that you never know what someone is going through.

16. Medstudies

Medstudies Well-Known Member

Mother arrested on neglect charge after death of 3-month-old infant

...”Rachel’s husband says his wife and daughter left their home on Creekstone drive on Indy’s far east side Monday morning before Rachel suddenly stopped answering her phone.”...

...”She’s drank since I’ve known her, but it’s gotten out of control the last couple of years. That’s kind of when all this started spiraling,” said John McAfee.”

Anyway, I’m local too and it’s been heavily covered. If she had left the baby I’d be crying white privilege, but she didn’t. I’m going to wait for updates before I go down roads that can’t be walked back.

And Grrr... flashbacks of Andrea Yates. The poor children trapped and let down. Because post-partum depression is not properly acknowledged and treated. (Snap out of it! :rolleyes:)
    Idk, I still have unkind thoughts about players in the AY case)

17. lark75

lark75 Active Member

The husband just seems so off putting.

PajamaSleuth, abr, Medstudies and 4 others like this.
  18. Hope32

Hope32 Mainly Lurker Sometimes Sleuther

I’m very local to this. Actually just looked a house down the street from where the car was found. It makes me sad if the police would’ve gone to the media Monday there is a chande they would’ve been found. It was so cold Monday that I was trying to scrape my car off and my hands literally burned after a second from the cold. I also wonder if there is a possibility she overdosed on medication or something that knocked her out?

19. lark75

lark75 Active Member

Me too. Her husband’s affcect upsets me. Why was she alone with the baby if they knew she had a problem?

20. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Posts have been removed. Next person to introduce race/racism into this discussion gets a 1 week thread reply ban. Please post accordingly.

Thanks.

Doghairrules, jpo74, Jsizzle and 12 others like this.