IN - Emma Sweet, 2, (died), Dad and truck found, Bartholomew Co, 24 Nov 2021 *arrest*

BrownBear

Reaction score
a9392a36-92af-4fd8-984c-225aa63baa53_750x422.jpg

Bartholomew County deputies responded to the 1700 block of Blessing Road around 6 a.m. Friday for a truck that was in the White River. Duck hunters found the truck, which had one person in it. That person was transported to Columbus Regional Hospital for hypothermia.

Deputies discovered the man — along with his 2-year-old daughter, Emma — were reported missing Thursday. It's unclear if Emma was in the truck with her dad when duck hunters found it Friday.

Man found in truck in White River, 2-year-old daughter missing | wthr.com

Emma should have been in a child carseat if she is only 2. So that makes it hard for me to think that she could have been ejected from the vehicle. Although some people take their children out of carseats way too early I suppose…

Do they live in that area?Google Maps

The submerged truck had one occupant, who was transported by EMS to Columbus Regional Hospital where he is being treated for exposure of hypothermia. During the course of the investigation, it was learned that the individual had his 2-year-old daughter with him.

They were reported as missing on Thursday, but it is unknown if she was in the vehicle at the time of the location by the duck hunters. The vehicle was actually located at a farm lane at the end of Beatty Lane. Both individuals were last seen on Wednesday, Nov. 24 at noon. If you have had contact with either of them since then, please contact emergency personnel immediately.

Deputies now searching for missing 2-year-old in relation to truck found in river - The Republic News

FOLLOW UP ON MISSING TWO YEAR OLD
Emma Sweet’s father is Jeremy Sweet of Columbus, Indiana. He was transported to the hospital to be treated for hypothermia.
He is currently out on bond for unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon as well as possession of methamphetamine.
Again, if you have any information or had any contact with him since Wednesday, please contact emergency personnel immediately.

COLUMBUS, Ind. – The Bartholomew County Sheriff’s Office (BCSO) was dispatched to the east fork of the White River, off of State Road 11 South, on Friday at 6 a.m., in regards to a truck that had been located by duck hunters.

The vehicle was actually submerged in the water with one occupant near a farm lane at the end of Beatty Lane. The man was taken by EMS to Columbus Regional Health where he is being treated for exposure to hypothermia.

https://www.localnewsdigital.com/2021/11/26/law-enforcement-searches-for-missing-2-year-old-girl/

Bartholomew County Sheriff - Sheriff Matt Myers

MISSING TWO YEAR OLD – Emma Sweet
On November 26, 2021 at approximately 5:59 a.m., Bartholomew County Deputies were dispatched to the 1700 block of Blessing Road in regards to a truck that had been located in the east fork of the White River by duck hunters.

The duck hunters located a truck in the White River that was submerged with one occupant. The occupant was transported by EMS to Columbus Regional Hospital where he is being treated for exposure of hypothermia. During the course of the investigation, it was learned that the individual had his two year old daughter with him.

They were reported as missing the day prior, but it is unknown if she was in the vehicle at the time of the location by the duck hunters. The vehicle was actually located at a farm lane at the end of Beatty Lane. Both individuals were last seen on Wednesday, November 24 at 12:00 p.m. If you have had contact with either of them since then, please contact emergency personnel immediately.

Information on Emma:
• She is two years old
• Brown hair
• Brown eyes
• She was last seen wearing all black with a cream colored jacket with butterflies on it

Again, if you have seen Emma, please contact authorities immediately. If you have any additional information, no matter how seemingly insignificant, contact us.
We have the Indiana State Police, DNR, Wayne Township, Columbus Township, 31 Wrecker, CRH EMS, CFD, BCSO all out here looking for Emma.

“We want to thank all of the agencies out here helping us find Emma. It’s important that the community comes together to help,” said Chief Deputy Chris Lane.

See comments on this post

submerged-truck.jpg

A view of the black Ford F-150 submerged in the East Fork White River today. Photo provided by the Bartholomew County Sheriff's Department.

3:20 P.M. UPDATE

Bartholomew County Sheriff deputies have been told two different stories about what happened to 2-year-old Emma Sweet, who disappeared with her father on Wednesday and is still missing.

Sweet, who is now in the Columbus Regional Hospital intensive care unit, first told investigators that he had dropped off Emma at “Casey’s” although investigators do not know if that means the convenience stores, or if it is the name of a friend. Indiana State Police are pursuing leads about anyone named “Casey” that could be associated with the Sweet family, pursuing possibilities in Jeffersonville and Jackson County, said Sheriff Matt Myers.

The second story Sweet has told investigators was that he had placed Emma on the hood of the truck because she was wet, and he took her coat off, and then she was swept away in the current of the river, Myers said.

Deputies now searching for missing 2-year-old in relation to truck found in river - The Republic News

Last edited:
Myers did say that a syringe was found on Sweet when he was at the hospital, and investigators are looking into whether he was under the influence of drugs when this incident occurred.

Investigators are also puzzled as to how the truck got into the river, whether it was deliberate. Myers said divers did find a child’s car seat in the truck and the last time the father and daughter were seen, on Wednesday, was in the truck.

Sweet did on occasion drive off-road in the area near the river where the truck was found and was familiar with the terrain, Myers said. However, the location where the truck went into the river is estimated at a 15-foot drop into the 4- to 5-foot deep water, leading investigators to question whether it was deliberate.

Divers at the scene have told investigators the water in the area ranges from 4 to 5 feet deep to 12 feet in nearby locations.

I'm very confused by this story. How submerged is submerged? I'm imagining them finding him sitting in the truck with water up to his waist or something. I assume it wasn't completely underwater, but none of this bodes well for Emma...

ETA: Whoops, should have refreshed one more time before posting! That answers my questions, but definitely doesn't look good for Emma. :(

I'm very confused by this story. How submerged is submerged? I'm imagining them finding him sitting in the truck with water up to his waist or something. I assume it wasn't completely underwater, but none of this bodes well for Emma...

ETA: Whoops, should have refreshed one more time before posting! That answers my questions, but definitely doesn't look good for Emma. :(
I was glad to find a picture of the vehicle, I had the same question.

Sounds like Sweet was under the influence as the one story he told doesn't make sense. How could he have taken her out of the truck, put her on the hood where she was swept away. But then be found in the truck suffering from hypothermia this morning? When did this accident happen?

• Sweet was found by duck hunters on Nov 26, 2021 at approximately 5:59 a.m.
  • Sweet & Emma were reported missing Thursday, Nov 25th.
  • Sweet & Emma last seen Wednesday, Nov 24th at noon.

Man found in truck in White River, 2-year-old daughter missing | wthr.com

Some highlights (no pun intended . . . ;)) from the article:

"Police said Jeremy was out on bond after being charged with unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon in May. He was also charged with possession of meth. It's unclear if Emma was in the truck with her dad when duck hunters found it Friday, but there was a car seat inside."

"Police believe the father was familiar with the area. They said the truck went off a 15-foot embankment and into the water. When they found him, there was a needle on him, but it's not clear if the needle was related to drugs or medicine."
[BBM=bolded by me]

Let’s hope dad really did drop Emma off with someone safe before this incident happened, and maybe that someone just hasn’t heard about what happened yet.

The felony charges and meth make me suspicious of the entire thing. Could something have happened to Emma before this incident, that caused dad to enter the water on purpose…

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back