IN - Grace Ross, 6, found dead; Boy, 14, taken into custody, New Carlisle, 12 Mar 2021

Discussion in 'Currently Awaiting Trial' started by GuyfromCanada, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Yemelyan

Yemelyan Well-Known Member

This article explains some of the legal maneuvering that is taking place right now in the case:

At a Monday hearing, a probate judge ordered the boy to be detained until his next hearing in one week according to the St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s Office. The prosecutor’s office received a preliminary inquiry from the juvenile probation department Monday and will review the report before making a determination in the filing of a petition of delinquency. With juvenile court documents not currently publicly available, the circumstances surrounding Grace’s death remain unclear. When contacted by a reporter about viewing the agency’s log entries for Friday and Saturday, New Carlisle Police Chief Thomas Baker said the agency was “not releasing any information at this time,” citing the ongoing investigation. While certain investigatory records are exempt from disclosure under Indiana law, state code requires law enforcement agencies to create and maintain a daily log of incidents officers respond to that includes information about the time and location of the incident, the name of any victims and the nature of the agency’s response.

Source: Questions remain in death of 6-year-old New Carlisle girl

2. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

3. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

Yes, prayers for all who love precious Grace who've had their lives changed forever because of this teen murderer.

Sadly, I'm not shocked anymore that another innocent child has senseless been taken nor am I shocked at the age of the perpetrator either.

In the past few years alone we've seen horrific murders carried out by teen killers of both genders.

May God be with all of Grace's family, and community as they come together to mourn.

Jmho

4. Doghairrules

Doghairrules Well-Known Member

Yes. Thanks.

5. realanastasia

realanastasia Well-Known Member

6. Jsizzle

Jsizzle Well-Known Member

Horrific :(

Marg from Oz, abr, misgrn and 3 others like this.
  7. oceanblueeyes

This is only my opinion at this time, but I believe this will turnout to be another case of a sexually motivated murder of a defenseless little child.

Imo, once he had sexually assaulted her he then murdered her to make sure she was unable to tell anyone what he had done to her.

Jmho and nothing more.

8. Jsizzle

Jsizzle Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think so as well :(

9. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

What is interesting about this crime, is that 45 years ago, I did a college thesis on criminal activity and juveniles. There wasn't much. I also worked in juvenile detention facilities, back then...mostly it was runaways, petty theft, pyromania, vandalism, hardcore violence was pretty rare. Nothing like what we have now, on a routine and daily basis.

Not sure what the cause is...but maybe tv shows like "Andy Griffith" and "Leave it to Beaver" were better options than the plethora of media available for anyone now. Some really scary stuff is right there...

10. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Mickey2942...with respect..domestic violence and child abuse...45 years ago..was fairly acceptable. Moo.. not much has changed. But it is less accepted these days.

Iona, cvaldez1975, Vern and 6 others like this.
  11. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

True. But I am talking about violent criminal youth offenders. Believe me, what we have now, is staggering, compared to what we had 45 years ago.

12. oceanblueeyes

Ita!

The last stats I recall reading about three years ago stated while overall violent crimes had declined, but what had changed was a three percent rise in violent crimes being committed by youthful offenders of both genders.

Since then I'm sure its climbed even higher for teen offenders since violent crime in many cities across the nation have skyrocketed to levels they haven't seen in many years..with some even topping the 1990s record in some cities when homicides were at an all time high. It takes the DOJ a couple of years I believe to compile all the data before releasing the latest.

I believe teen killers or teen offenders who are doing other violent crimes will continue to rise. Jmoo.

Sadly, through the years here we have discussed quite a few. Its shocking how cruel they were too to their victims.

And I'm sure we aren't aware of all the violent crimes they are doing either because not all cases makes the news, and some of the cases stay sealed if they were handled in juvie court from the very beginning. Those will not be reported, and not all PDs send criminal records to the DOJ.

Also I did read an article that stated the offenders are getting younger, and younger... with some not even in their teens yet. Iirc it was from the DOJ statistics website.

That's why I'm no longer shocked when the offender is another teen doing the most unbelivable heinous violent acts.

Jmho

13. imstilla.grandma

The 14-year-old who is facing charges in connection with the death of 6-year-old Grace Ross was in juvenile court Monday.

The teen is facing a delinquency petition on charges that would be murder and child molestation if presented in adult court.

The suspect will be in court on May 13 for a hearing to determine if he is competent to stand trial.
    Initial hearing held for juvenile facing charges in death of 6-year-old Grace Ross

14. imstilla.grandma

I agree ocean. I realize some may think it unimaginable. It’s not. I used to work for a private freestanding psychiatric hospital. We had a specialized unit called ASAP. Adolescent Sexual Abusers Program. Patients were court adjudicated juveniles (all male) usually sent to us from other states. Mostly Illinois. I don’t know why that was. The counselors and techs couldn’t keep with the kids trying to find a way to have sex with one another. Seeking closets or playing “feely meely” under blankets or towels. I say kids, some were younger; also some nearing the age of 18 where they would be managed through a continuum of care. I have nightmares from working there. Some of them were vicious. Psychological disorders commingled with rage and sexual confusion. I had one guy jumped over a counter to come at me. The case files were heartbreaking and frightening as hell. Sex between himself and his mother created a baby. I can’t remember how old the baby was, she was very young. The guy raped his baby daughter, I don’t know what happened to his mother. Don’t let his age fool you, you and I be both shocked how some kids are raised. Incredibly sad. Poor little Grace.

15. Yemelyan

Yemelyan Well-Known Member

Snipped by me.....I had a feeling this was the situation. It had all the hallmarks.

Sunny123, Luckyzmom, misgrn and 4 others like this.
  16. imstilla.grandma

Yes. What you say is true. My mama called the police so many times for help as he was beating her so bad. We tried to yell and scream at him, then he would go after us. Mama would beg us to be quiet, that we were making it worse. I fought back as hard as I could. So did my little brother. The policemen would come in and just tell him to settle down. That he was scaring his kids. Tell him to quit arguing with his wife. How could they just leave us there alone with him? My mom had her hair pulled out, it was laying on the couch one time and they didn’t even care, We would hide behind the couch, there were five us back then 55+ years ago. Gosh, triggers...

17. PaulaDC

PaulaDC Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you went through such a horrible ordeal as a child.

18. Marysmith

Marysmith Well-Known Member

What a nightmare. I am so sorry for you, your siblings and your mother.

19. imstilla.grandma

The boy is still under the purview of the juvenile court. To move the case to superior court, a judge must grant a waiver submitted by the state to transfer the case. In general, the state’s decision to transfer the case to superior court is based on a number of factors, including the alleged offense and the juvenile’s history and age, according to a spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office.

Fronk said the state will also take into account the results of a psychological and competency evaluation before making a decision whether to waive the case to superior court.

“In juvenile court there are a lot of options that aren’t available in adult court. We want to make sure whatever course we take is well-thought out, well-reasoned and the best course to ensure we are seeking justice and protecting the community,” Fronk said.
    Teen charged with murder, child molestation in case involving New Carlisle 6-year-old

Indiana law states the juvenile court shall waive jurisdiction to superior court in cases that would involve felonies if committed by an adult, “unless it would be in the best interests of the child and the safety and welfare of the community for the child to remain within the juvenile justice system.”

Bradley Q. and misgrn like this.
  20. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

Oh dear God, I am so sorry as well. What horrific memories for u.