IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #3

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

And I think they need to start allowing windows which can be opened on high rise buildings. Makes me mad that I can't enjoy the fresh air.

2. LietKynes

LietKynes For Gannon

Denial 'ain't just a river in Egypt.

3. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

You need to stay in ones that have balconies. When I first discovered that some multi-level hotels have sealed plate-glass windows, I started staying in ones that have balconies.
    I find the windows that are above waist height and smaller in hotels/motels (like on this cruise ship) can be opened.
    I like fresh air as well.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  4. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

I should have been more clear in my post. I was intending to compare the people who think the grandfather has suffered enough, why charge him criminally? Many people say the same about parents whose babies or toddlers die when parents forget them in hot cars. The parents have suffered enough, don’t charge them.

Babies and toddlers are (or should be) the most important and precious things parents have, they are not to be handled carelessly or forgotten in hot cars.

Some parents take better care of their cell phones than they do their children. Would he have held his cell phone in such a careless manner as he held Chloe?

5. IceIce9

They need to do a re-creation of the incident using a big floppy dol the same size and weight as Chloe.

6. IceIce9

The difference here is that the lady who was scalded by hot coffee was not doing anything negligent or risky, she was simply holding a coffee cup that was dangerously, unexpectedly, and unnecessarily hot.

7. Area52

Area52 Well-Known Member

Where is the 18" coming from. I must have missed it. I was on that ship recently, and looked out those windows, and I recall the railing being closer. I will be anxious to see your official report! Have a great trip!

8. Kittybunny

Kittybunny Well-Known Member

Great post! Very well-thought out and supported. I totally agree!

9. Montrealaise

Montrealaise Well-Known Member

The article and the safety tips it provides all assume that when a child falls out of window, they got to that window on their own. I suppose that the author didn't include "don't lift children up to windows and sit them on the window sill" because it's beyond obvious - I mean, who would be foolish enough and reckless enough to do such a thing?

10. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

Video shows girl's final moments with grandfather before cruise ship death
    This one says about a foot- I believe it’s in the complaint but I can’t access anything beyond page 2
    Complaint - Wiegand vs Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD - LMAW, PA
    I think the 18” was posted upthread but I can’t find it - will keep looking as I know I saw it
    JMO

11. GoneGoldfishin'

GoneGoldfishin' Well-Known Member

12. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

18 Inches? <--- Peeps, Read Carefully. And Pane but No Pane?
    @oviedo :) Complaint, page 7, paragraph 18:
    "Due to the distance between Mr. Anello standing at the wooden rail and the glass pane 18 inches in front of him, it was not apparent to Mr. Anello that the glass pane in front of him was, in fact, a window that had been slid all the way open so that there was no glass at all in the single frame in front of him." bbm

Wait a second. What's that again, Mr Winkleman?
    Q1) "...Mr. Anello standing at the wooden rail and the glass pane 18 inches in front of him..."

Does it say that railing-to-glass distance is 18 inches?
    Or SA-to-glass distance is 18 inches?
    Imo, looks like measuring two different distances.
    If nothing else, this changes distance by width of rail.
    Is this an attempt to makes it seem G'pa did not have Chloe so close to window?

Q2) "...glass pane in front of him...there was not glass at all in the single pane in front of him..."

Hmmm.
    ETA: Sorry, link was already posted. @GoneGoldfishin' Thx

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  13. LietKynes

LietKynes For Gannon

It has to be frustrating for Winkleman and others to struggle to keep their story straight and keep coming up with more excuses to blame RCCL.

Stinalyn, TRB, justice4allnow and 5 others like this.
  14. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 Well-Known Member

The distance of one foot plus the width of the railing, 4-6 inches added to the width of the window ledge with track equals 1.5 ft give or take a few inches. Measure from out of window, across tracks, towards interior of ship until interior edge of railing. Inside of ship facing deck, not window.
    He was standing outside of the railing in the room. Start measuring from there. To fall, she had to be on the outside of the window. Measure to exterior of ship.
    So he had to BEND OVER 18 inches to get her outside of the window. Or a big part of 18 in. And then more distance bc majority of her body had to be leaning out of the exterior of the window to fall out and down. Otherwise, she’d have fallen in between window and room. Either between window and railing or railing and room.
    Incredible.
    Not taking breathalyzer tells me why his senses might have been impaired. Reaction time is slowed with every ounce of alcohol. Thinking. Driving. Talking. Seeing. Holding on to Chloe had loosened and when she started to tilt forward, getting ready to fall, the two seconds he was slowed in reacting to her movement was the two seconds between catching or letting her drop.
    Or however many seconds it took. Like you rear end someone. Bahm. “What happened? It happened so fast!”

15. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 Well-Known Member

“There’s his side of the story. There’s her side of the story. And the truth is somewhere in the middle.”
    Legal logic.

16. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

1B3695C5-0801-4037-B0C5-0752C782C3C3.jpeg
    I agree he had to lean way over (consider his size when thinking of this effort) to have her in a position to drop her - I think the video will show him bending way over
    IMO

Attached Files:

17. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit Happy Times in Cactus Land

I will never understand why SA had to lean over that far. I just cannot wrap my mind around this case. :confused:o_O:mad:

neesaki, abr, sl222 and 6 others like this.
  18. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the 18” may be the upper part of the window. The bottom opening would be less because of the tilt. MOO

NoSI, LietKynes and SaguaroSpirit like this.
  19. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

I guess I see the last point "Supervise children and train them to not play near windows, balconies or patio doors" as pertaining to this case.

Chloe was not being shown the dangers of windows when she was picked up and sat and loosely held on a safety rail that is designed to protect people from an open window.

I actually don't think she was being taught the dangers of windows either when she was allowed to bang on windows. There is no way a child can understand that some windows are more sturdy than others.

Midwestmom2019, Seattle1, byo and 7 others like this.
  20. vallie

vallie Registered Rollerblader

Lawyers, I suppose, coach you to never confess, in public, but they also tell you never to talk about your case or do tv interviews or appearances. IN THIS CASE, the lawyers and family of law people are doing the exact opposite. Running a public campaign in the media . ? sympathy garnering has backfired since the beginning and it continues. They better be carful, they may be tainting a jury so that may bite them but how do you back pedal such a proclamation " fix the boat". I have a feeling the lawyers are getting ideas from comments online. When the internet comments blew up with "windows are tinted" the next press conference "i'm colorblind" for example..... JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.