IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #6

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreee

Andreee Well-Known Member

I sympathize with the family's loss just as much and especially the parents. They have lost a child in a horrific way and although they may not be handling it the best way, this is the way they are dealing with the loss and their grief. I don't agree with it, but they are up against a big business of a cruise line and I'm sure the cruise line will be able to handle it just fine in court. It won't really ease the parents suffering in the long run, and I do hope they realize that the cruise line isn't at fault, and back away from the added stress of pursuing this.

2. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

bbm
    Ita.
    The PR courts are considering all options.
    RCCL also would have security camera footage that we haven't seen.
    So there will be evidence if intentional.
    The criminal justice system will be obliged to check all medical and insurance histories as well.

3. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

Agreed.
    The rabid pursuit of money has to make the PR justice system looking askance.

4. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

5. Lawsmygame2

Lawsmygame2 Well-Known Member

It was a link to a case filed in court of behalf of the estate of Chloe to appoint the parents as personal representatives to administer Chloe’s estate. An order granted by the court was titled, “Order appointing personal representatives for the sole purpose of filing a wrongful death suit.”

This case was opened on July 16, 2019.

6. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Why would he deliberately throw his grandchild out the window in a public place in full view of dozens of witnesses and with surveillance cameras everywhere? Why take such a risk if he truly wanted to get away with it?

He's not the brightest bulb but even an idiot could come up with a better plan than that.

LE stated at the very beginning that they would be considering various charges before they began the investigation. After a thorough investigation they charged him with negligent homicide, a misdemeanor. We don't know what evidence they have but they must know a lot more than we do.

I don't know of any evidence that that will be coming out in the court case very soon, but if there is, then why would they offer him a plea deal with no sentence if they believed it was intentional?
    It doesn't make sense.

I would think the moment investigators find solid evidence that he committed murder, they would arrest him and charge him with it instead of waiting to bring it up in court.
    And if they do find evidence that points to murder, wouldn't they have to present that to the defense ahead of time?

They already have all the evidence. What else could there be? They can't just assume he murdered her because he wanted the money. They have direct evidence and that is what led them to charge him with negligent homicide.

Imo

7. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

One thing I find troubling about this case, is how the family left without talking to the prosecutors.

When a child dies under questionable circumstances here in the states, is the family allowed to ignore and flee the area in order to avoid LE?

And when that kind of thing happens don’t most people, including us Websleuths go into the “uh, huh, something’s hinky ” mode of thinking?

I was just reading this PR news article that came out right after the tragedy, and it struck me... they didn’t just leave, they fled. I understand the horror of the situation, but aren’t other people in similar required to talk to LE? If anyone else in the states did this involving the violent death of a child, they highly likely would have had LE show up at their front door within a day. Am I wrong?

Here’s the link to article which can be translated.
    Vídeo será determinante en investigación sobre muerte de niña en crucero
    Excerpt (translated) from article:

8. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

MOD NOTE:
    This thread will close in 5 minutes.
    NEW thread is ready for discussion here.
    Please remember the TOS.
    Please DO NOT reply to posts that obviously violate the TOS. Please report them instead.

Faithfully,
    CocoChanel

9. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Do you have a link that states they are still considering all options?
    I thought that was a statement made in the beginning of the investigation.
    It just doesn't seem like they would offer a deal if they were not confident of the charges.
    Thanks in advance.

MeadowMuffin and Lawsmygame2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.