IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #6

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Didn't Chloe's parents consider filing a lawsuit right away?
    I think that may be one reason why he has never actually admitted fault.
    If he does, his daughter might consider it a betrayal or think it will hurt their case.
    I think things would have been much different if they had never blamed the company.

Imo

2. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit Happy Halloween

It seems like they were screaming "lawsuit" before that baby was even cold...JMOO

Montrealaise, Snoods, TRB and 18 others like this.
  3. they'll get you

they'll get you CHRIS. P. BACON

Was it mum who said SA was banging on the windows saying ‘I thought there was glass, I thought there was glass!’?

We know differently now.
    Damage control at its best.

4. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I thought.
    They seem to be a close, loving family and are probably loyal to one another.
    The Grandpa probably feels limited in what he can say.
    I thought during his last interview he said something like, "I see what I did wrong," when he was talking about how he took one hand away from her to adjust his hold on her.
    Then he followed up with, "Fix the ship!"
    I'm sure he is being advised in what to say and what not to say.

I think he will likely feel the guilt and remorse for the rest of his life.
    How could he not? He held her over the railing and lost his grip, and as a result he dropped her. He will probably always blame himself even though he can't admit it right now.

Imo

MsMarple, whatsnext, al66pine and 6 others like this.
  5. In vino veritas

In vino veritas Well-Known Member

So how do you account for the fact that modifications have NOT been made to balconies and open deck railings, where people HAVE gone overboard????

Snoods, TDoc72, sassyblue and 12 others like this.
  6. Jewels53

Jewels53 Well-Known Member

Maritime Law

II. The general maritime law of the United States applies.

When an injury occurs on navigable waters, federal maritime law governs the substantive legal issues. See Everett v. Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc., 912 F.2d 1355, 1358 (11th Cir. 1990);

Case 1:19-cv-25100-DLG Document 7 Entered on FLSD Docket 01/08/2020 Page 8 of 20

Keefe v. Bahama Cruise Line, Inc., 867 F.2d 1318, 1320-21 (11th Cir. 1989); Kornberg v. Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc., 741 F.2d 1332, 1334 (11th Cir. 1984). Maritime law governs passenger suits against cruise lines and exclusively sets substantive liability standards, superseding state substantive liability standards. See Keefe, 867 F.2d 1318; Kermarec v. Compagnie Generale Transatlantique, 358 U.S. 625, 628 (1959). Because this incident occurred while Plaintiffs were passengers aboard RCL’s cruise vessel, the general maritime law must be applied.

This is from page 7 and 8 of the motion to dismiss from RCCL. I don't have a link as this is saved on my computer. I think it is somewhere in this thread. Unless someone else has it handy. tia

TRB, sassyblue, MsMarple and 8 others like this.
  7. they'll get you

Say for example in Aust we have laws on pool fencing, height, width of rungs and self-closing gates. Etc.

Say if a neighbour’s child gets in and drowns.

If the poolowner has all these safety features installed should the pool owner be held responsible?

If RCC was cleared safe by whoever writes the codes, how can they be held responsible?
    If RCC were told to fix them and they didn’t then, yes, let them hang.

8. they'll get you

Yes a triviality like ‘he was still able to place a child there’.

9. MassGuy

MassGuy On Time Out

Exactly. And if this child died as a result of something inherently unsafe (a low open window or something), I’d be all for a lawsuit.

That’s not what happened though. For her to find herself in danger, some idiot had to put her in that position.

Someone had to (recklessly) go out of their way to kill her. How about some personal responsibility?

10. they'll get you

A crew member told me it was for window cleaning and maintanance and he could’ve been pulling my leg.

11. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

Freedom of the Seas Refurbishment/Amping Up. Return to Service Date?
    JulieBEMT :) Thanks for the link to Fleet Guide. Amping Up is good term. More than a facelift. IIRC, in Mar 2018 RCL publicly announced Fr/Seas refurb.

Also ~ a mo. ago, IIRC, I saw last cruise ended Jan 20 and would return to service ~ 8 weeks later. Sounded like a fast turn around for the extensive changes.

Looking now for the date of first cruise/return to service this spring. Not finding it. Anyone?

12. Pigey

Pigey Active Member

Perhaps little CW was tired of the water activity and SA was overheated. In which case he should have sat down at the tables. Babies that age can be distracted with anything. The contents of a wallet a key fob.

13. they'll get you

Confronting but possibly true.

al66pine and SaguaroSpirit like this.
  14. they'll get you

Personal responsibility bbm.

If America is like Aust we are now living in an nanny state where the great unwashed can’t think for themselves and there are laws EVERYWHERE to protect us from ourselves.

15. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit Happy Halloween

BBM I didn't see a lot of guilt and/or remorse from SA in the David Begnaud interview. I saw an evasive person being evasive. JMOO

16. mheido67

mheido67 Well-Known Member

My understanding from the RCCL motion to dismiss is their argument is that they can not be considered negligent if they did not have notification of a dangerous condition existing. They laid out this out in detail. Someone claiming after the fact of an injury/death that a condition which did not violate any codes/regulations should have been understood to be dangerous does not open the owner to negligence claims if there was no due notification of such dangerous condition existing. My less than perfect paraphrase anyway.

abr, WhatDidYouDo, JulieBEMT and 7 others like this.
  17. mheido67

mheido67 Well-Known Member

"...he almost flops onto it, and allows the railing to support him."

My interpretation of that was that he was leaning over to look down at CW between the railing and the window frame. SA watches her in that position for several seconds and then squats down, lifts her up and puts her on the railing where he holds her in various positions before he falls backwards reacting to having dropped her. One thing I have found very odd is that in interviews SA claimed that they could not easily reach the glass at the lower window level. He offered that as a reason for why he lifted CW onto the railing. But this makes no sense since, as is clearly evident in the recreation images with Winkelman, it is harder to reach the glass at the middle panes (because of the wood railings presence) than at the lower. CW could easily have banged on the glass "like at the hockey games" standing at the lower window. There was no need to raise her up and doing so actually made it harder to bang on the glass. I also find it hard to believe SA could have stood before an open window for 34 seconds looking out and not realized it was in fact open unless he was paying zero attention to what he was doing.

JediChick, abr, Montrealaise and 13 others like this.
  18. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Somewhat tedious reading, but here is the passenger contract to which all ticketed passengers agree when they book a cruise with RCCL. The cruise ticket contract outlines the legal liability limits of the cruise line. I think it's safe to say that SA probably didn't read the passenger contract, and, if he did, he doesn't think that rules apply to him.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cruise-ticket-contract.pdf

OT: DH and I are packed and ready to leave tomorrow for our cruise onboard Sky Princess. I've been busy with last minute errands and packing but have kept up with the discussion. I will follow the thread while I'm away. Bon Voyage!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  19. JulieBEMT

JulieBEMT Well-Known Member

As of now, Freedom is scheduled to resume revenue sailings on March 1st. In the past, however, a number of ships have been late in returning to service. Usually between one and four weeks.

Correction: I just looked to see the March 1st sailing is closed to bookings. So, as of now it looks like March 8th.

20. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

If Chloe wanted to bang the glass she could have simply banged the glass. There would be no reason to pick her up for that.

Simple. Easy. Completely destroys SA's ridiculous excuse.

abr, Montrealaise, sassyblue and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.