IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #6

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

okay good people- i know you all mean well, but honestly, I think some are watching too many crime shows ( i know i do!!): I 100% believe this was a horrible reckless and negligent act on the part of grand pa: there is nothing, and i mean nothing, nada, nothing to suggest that there was evil intent here. Mom going on TV and the parents filing a lawsuit so quickly are surely not indicative that anyone in the family intentionally harmed the child. My hope is that the cruise ship prevails in this case and that grandpa is shown to be the negligent reckless person he was in this instance, that caused the death of this lovely child.

Kerbily, abr, CalmSeas and 18 others like this.
  2. justbreathe

justbreathe Well-Known Member

What SA did was so unbelievable, so beyond even the most basic common sense one can’t help but wonder what else was at play here.

JulieBEMT, abr, TRB and 11 others like this.
  3. Forever Young

Forever Young Well-Known Member

Isn't this what the Wiegands' response to RCCL's motion to dismiss says? I thought their response said it was a physical impossibility for SA to put his entire upper body out through the window without his feet leaving the floor. RCCL's motion to dismiss said he had his entire upper body out through the window.

fabvab and they'll get you like this.
  4. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit Happy Halloween

Exactly. Looks like the truth is starting to dawn on more and more people. Things are coming together, and fast. I for one can't wait to hear about the other security cam vids and even more importantly, what the eyewitnesses have to say.

JulieBEMT, abr, angelainwi and 9 others like this.
  5. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

The always capable BetteDavisEyes linked in her comments that the ship was docked and there would've been zero motion.
    So much for the family claiming otherwise ; lol.
    Chalk that up with the pretended color blindness and thinking the window was a "wall of glass with hidden holes" --according to the step grandpa, S.A.

JulieBEMT, Stinalyn, abr and 8 others like this.
  6. KR72

KR72 Well-Known Member

I agree, and many, many child deaths are caused by reckless idiots (parents, grandparents, babysitters etc...) who are engaging in risky behaviour. I'll again mention the case in Newfoundland of the 10 year old who died while out on an ATV with his father as an example of recklessness on behalf of the parent leading to the death of a child. Children die in all sorts of manners, car accidents for example, because parents weren't driving for conditions in inclement weather or speeding. Those sorts of deaths are more common than holding a child out an 11 story window and dropping him or her and they don't grab the headlines as much as a story like this one.

The gruesome nature of Chloe's death, the setting (on a cruise ship), the now released video, and the strange behaviour of the family make this case high profile. I could be wrong, but I don't think SA intentionally murdered Chloe but he needs to be held accountable for his actions regardless.

redabby, abr, CalmSeas and 16 others like this.
  7. Forever Young

I was not there. My response was to a question about the possibility of a real skinny kid being able to pass through a 4 inch gap.

al66pine and justbreathe like this.
  8. justbreathe

This is it! Thank you!! I am glad it exists but not quite as I remembered.

The man seems to just turn away after showing how SA (might have) held Chloe.

I think it strange that this and the MW “reenactment” seem to show SA holding her with his hands on her waist.

Maybe SA was not even holding her with his arm around her waist, but just had his hands on her, then took one away...

MsMarple, neesaki, LietKynes and 4 others like this.
  9. justbreathe

Water is clear. He thought there was water there. Duh.

al66pine, LietKynes and SaguaroSpirit like this.
  10. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

I can't read the article but I have yet to meet a parent who doesn't allow screentime at all and very few who limit it to an hour or two a day. We have never had tv in our house but if we did my daughter would have probably wanted to watch shows everyday too when she was a toddler. Whenever she went to playdates they always seemed to have the tv on.

When my daughter went to kindergarten almost everyone in her class had a DS. I didn't even know what they were until she started school. Even at a young age children want to be entertained all the time and many parents seem to cater to them by allowing them to do this.

So I don't think it's out of the ordinary that Chloe watched movies over and over.
    Although I wouldn't choose to do it, I don't judge the parents for allowing their kids to watch alot of tv. If that's what they did. Maybe Chloe just watched movies.

Either way I don't think that or the fact that Chloe was watched by other people have anything to do with what happened.

Imo

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    mheido67 and al66pine like this.
  11. Forever Young

Yes, but bending from the neck and shoulders will not put your upper body out and through the window.

they'll get you likes this.
  12. Forever Young

This was my point also. Not at all saying it was a good idea. Just that that may have been why he did not let her stay on the floor, down around his knees.

13. Forever Young

It has not been shown that he reached his hand out the window, and he denies doing that.

they'll get you likes this.
  14. justbreathe

Reading this, this entire story sounds ridiculous.

So ridiculous I can help but think, or SA was leaning out knowing what he was about to do, and hesitating before just dropping her.

Stinalyn, abr, Area52 and 7 others like this.
  15. justbreathe

No need to put it all out there in a prelim motion. They will keep their cards hidden and hope SA keeps sounding like a fool.

This motion to dismiss is based more on technical points about how they filed.

They added the other items as a way to counter the info MW keeps putting out there.

16. Forever Young

If she straightened up, the railing would be directly against her stomach. If she stays straight, that wooden bar will press against her stomach area and be very uncomfortable, prompting her to back up. If she continues leaning forward with the bar against her stomach, her feet will leave the ground. IMO

they'll get you and justbreathe like this.
  17. LietKynes

The msm news articles have referenced the 34 second moment of dangling before he dropped her -- so you are right.
    The cameras will bear proof and I don't think we've seen every angle that RCCL has !

Excellent points.

JulieBEMT, abr, Area52 and 7 others like this.
  18. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

That's an excellent point. With Chloe on the railing beside him he bent fully over the railing a second time. The excuse that he was looking down at Chloe cannot apply in that case.

abr, they'll get you, neesaki and 3 others like this.
  19. justbreathe

He doesn’t say that - MW says his head could not go outside.

SA days he was trying to reach forward to touch the glass. That wasn’t there.

And thought, “If my long arm can’t reach it, she can’t, let’s get closer...”

But never clued in to the fact that he wasn’t touching the glass because there was no glass to touch.

How far did he reach out and not touch anything? Yet he still was trying to put Chloe even farther out.

And he still didn’t realize there was no glass
    there?

JulieBEMT, abr, neesaki and 6 others like this.
  20. LietKynes

bbm

The reenactment was ridiculous.
    The man holding the doll was shorter and thinner than S.A.
    No beer belly either.
    And yet the reenactment person had his arms close to his side-- all he had to do was to extend his arms, lean forwards, and his arms and shoulders/upper body would be out the window !
    It's so clear from the photos.
    Why couldn't Winkleman find an accurate body double or just ask SA to reenact it ?
    We all know why.

JulieBEMT, abr, fabvab and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.