IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #7

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

If I was the prosecution I would get somebody 5'11 and see if they can stick their head out the window. If so, have them do so while filming from the position of the rear surveillance video and see if it matches up. On that video it looks like his head does go out the window, but it could potentially be a trick of the viewing angle. I'd do a recreation just to be sure.

2. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

True, but that is not the point the OP was making, if I understand correctly. The point was that the family fled the country, before meeting with the prosecutors.

Would we allow that to happen if a child died in our country, under questionable circumstances?

3. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Do you have a link or do you remember the source for the speeding tickets? This is the second time I've heard he's had speeding tickets but so far I have not seen anything to verify this.
    I would also like to know when they were issued if anyone knows.
    Thanks in advance.

4. Lawnguylander1964

Lawnguylander1964 Well-Known Member

re DUI claims

South Bend Indiana is 5 miles from the Michigan border. The DUI could be in Michigan.

Kindred, Stinalyn, Chikkamma and 6 others like this.
  5. Lawnguylander1964

re court reenactment

If SA is going to claim he lost his balance and the measurements are going to be a key factor, I don't see how the court can avoid going on the ship.

I don't think you can bring the windows and the railing into court because you won't get the same feeling that people are referring to when you are close to the window. And certainly not know if the ship is moving enough to lose your balance. Eye witnesses can only help so much.

I think it they go to the ship, docked, they can see it and feel it and SA can stand there and reenact the events, just like they do in other cases where they go to the murder scene.

6. Lawnguylander1964

They may only be referring to RCCL video cameras. That's not to say they don't have video from cameras they don't own or witness cell phone cameras.

7. justice4allnow

justice4allnow Well-Known Member

There was a post in the last thread that stated that the Wiegands' case is to decide whether the open windows in the middle row were an unsafe, negligent condition. Consider this scenario: a car is paused at a railroad crossing and the occupants of one of the cars, an adult and a toddler, leave their car and walk hand-in-hand under the bar that has been lowered to keep cars safely back. Upon the pair arriving on the tracks, an oncoming train kills the toddler. The family of the toddler then sues to have more signage and a mass of impenetrable bars placed at railroad crossings. This is how I see what Sam Anello did when he breached the safety railing. The open windows are not the problem, IMO.

8. justice4allnow

Not awful, but can’t help but notice all his past tickets for failure to wear a seatbelt
    MedStudies posted these back in Thread#1
    note: the first link is time sensitive. The second is a blank search - enter name.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

edit: clarifying links

9. TDoc72

TDoc72 Well-Known Member

Or any cameras that may have been on the dock.

10. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

Access IN Ct Records
    Here: Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

In "Person" blanks, type his name ....Anello... Salvatore.....
    (Do not select or complete anything else)

Click "Search."
    12 results.

11. Pigey

Pigey Active Member

The La Comay says that the Winkleman reenactment did not depict SA with arms extended while holding Chloe. The video seems to show SA with his arms and body extended.

12. al66pine

Other Tickets?
    @Lawnguylander1964 :) ^^^Excellent point.^^^
    IIRC, a personal info aggregator/background check website (similar to 'BeenVerified' ) showed 20+ addresses for SA, some in IN, MI, and IL, plus one in OH. Yes, some duplicates and possibly some for a different SA, but may be worthwhile checking further in these other states.

Also possible while traveling in other states, SA received various traffic citations.jmo

13. Lawnguylander1964

There was an early article that referred to SA as living in IL and it struck me that it was odd that Chloe could be his best friend when he didn't live close by. He's also referred to as living in Niles, Indiana, which is 2.5 hours from South Bend. But then we read he works in St Joe County, so who knows?

14. justbreathe

justbreathe Well-Known Member

I am extremely sensitive to motion and felt queasy standing on a dock once, haha!

But I don’t think it would very much, unless there was storm coming through?

15. justbreathe

justbreathe Well-Known Member

PR is the United States, and unless they had probable cause to detain the family (including SA) can leave at any time and do not have to speak to anyone.

KW is a prosecutor and AW is a cop. They know exactly what they can and can’t do and chose very early on to circle the wagons and not give official statements (that can be used against them).

This is what KW and AW would advise any friend to do. Since AW was taking his own pictures it seems they were doing all they could to protect SA and themselves from any legal consequences.

16. Pigey

Pigey Active Member

I don't understand why KW and AW went into protection mode regarding SA. They reacted like they were his parents. I couldn't forgive my beloved mother if she was so reckless.

redabby, abr, Montrealaise and 14 others like this.
  17. al66pine

A Loooooong Commute? No.
    @Lawnguylander1964. bbm Lotsa room for confusion w geographic names.

IIRC, SA's home is shown in obit link below in as Niles, MI, which is ~ 15 mi from S. Bend, St. Joseph County, IN, so is commute-able.
    St Joseph County MI, and Niles MI is more or less commute-able distance to it. 30 mi +/- ?

{{{ETA: SA is/was employed by St. Joseph County, IN.
    His boss was quoted in MSM, and I verified boss' name county website}}}

-----------------------------------------------------------
    In obit, found it: Salvatore and Patti Anello, of Niles, Michigan.
    ^ View Chloe Wiegand's Obituary on kpcnews.com and share memories

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  18. justice4allnow

La Comay and his very attractive(!) co-host are saying that the re-enactment used an actor and a doll who are not the sizes of Chloe and Sam and that the actor portraying Sam did not bend over nor extend his arms as Sam did. They also address that some news reports are reporting information given to them by Winkleman, information that these two do not consider accurate. La Comay points out the Sam had Chloe out the window (the same thing reported by the paper La Vocera, immediately after the incident.) They are looking forward to everything coming out in court.

Kindred, sl222, abr and 16 others like this.
  19. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

Agreed.
    You're not the only one to question that.
    Something else may be at play.
    And not just risking the lawsuit and the much hoped-for payout.

Kindred, abr, Montrealaise and 11 others like this.
  20. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit Happy Halloween

I don't understand it either, but IMHO it has much to do with the lawsuit the family is fighting tooth and nail for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.