IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #7

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

On July 12 or date of the article, I don’t think MW had received the video.

I believe the allegation in the complaint was video from 12 additional cameras omitted.

I think the plaintiffs lost their argument that video speed was edited when they waived on the video motion and objected after the fact.

Moo

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Thanks @needsaki

My question would be the same as MW already filed wrongful death suit. Don’t understand what other suit he could file??

MsBetsy, neesaki and SaguaroSpirit like this.
  3. mheido67

mheido67 Well-Known Member

Regarding the colorblind issue;

Say SA was legally blind. Not completely blind, just with limited enough vision to be declared legally blind. He and the rest of the W family get on board FotS and he does exactly the same thing he did with CW. He lifts her up to bang on the glass he thinks is there and she falls because there isn’t glass there. Would anyone believe that RCCL had any liability? Would anyone argue that RCCL had an obligation to warn SA of the open window? Of course not. If he knew he had a visual impairment it would be incumbent on him, or CW’s guardians, to ensure that he didn’t place himself or CW in an open and obviously dangerous situation. How is that any different if he knows he is colorblind?

sl222, fabvab, justbreathe and 16 others like this.
  4. JulieBEMT

JulieBEMT Well-Known Member

They are not referring to the CW case. They are saying that MW must be excited about all of the people on the ships quarantined in Asia because they can bring him more cases/suits.

5. In vino veritas

In vino veritas Well-Known Member

To all you actual legal eagles on WS: do the plaintiffs now have an opportunity to respond to RCL’s amended motion? Or can the judge go ahead and dismiss without further input from the plaintiff?

6. Fidobell

Fidobell Well-Known Member

This is something that never occurred to me and you are right . Instinct would have you grabbing at thin air but thats not what we see by SA s actions .

7. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I would really like an answer to this as well. Thank you very much for bringing it up, In Vino!

8. TDoc72

TDoc72 Well-Known Member

Snipped and bolded by me
    Besides sweat, it could also be water from playing at the splash pad or sunscreen. All could be slippery.

9. HRH Phoebe Cat

HRH Phoebe Cat Well-Known Member

I’ve been going through the links in the media thread (a million thanks @oviedo ).

From this link https://nypost.com/2019/11/22/video...grandfather-thought-window-was-closed-lawyer/
    A snipped quote of Winkleman: “He thought this window was closed … this is a wall of windows with one random window that was open. The whole thing happens in less than 30 seconds. And the amount of time he has her on the railing is about five seconds. So all this happens like that.”

So what I am wondering is if external camera footage is available would it show Chloe falling almost immediately (“about five seconds”) and, thus, demonstrating SA waited a significantly longer period of before falling to floor, etc? Just my own thoughts based on direct quote of Winkleman and, as many have pointed out, SA would not have been able to see the fall from the window at floor level.

'I saw her fall': Grandfather describes harrowing moment he dropped granddaughter to her death
    SA clearly states he saw the entire fall.

10. HRH Phoebe Cat

From this link 'We all sit here broken': Family of girl who fell to her death prepares for court battle

At 5:00 SA makes a very brief statement referencing a sheet of paper. Several things stood out to me:
    1) SA does not mention Chloe by name or even make a reference to her.
    2) SA does not mention Chloe and how much he misses her.
    3) SA does not clearly state anything such as “it was an accident.”

Later during the Q&A period, a reporter specifically asks if the parents have seen the video (15:30). KSW says to MW that she does not want to answer. MW states “they don’t want to see the video.” That is not the same as a clear and direct, “No, they have not watched the video.”

Apologies if these points have already been discussed, but they just really stood out to me looking at these links again.

MsMarple, sl222, MerBeach and 11 others like this.
  11. mheido67

Not a lawyer but I have to think that plaintiffs would have the opportunity to reply again to the new motion. Almost with 100% certainty.

12. mheido67

That entire quote from MW is filled with inaccuracies. 1) As is clearly obvious in the cctv footage it was not a random window, every other window in the second row is operable. 2) Also clearly visible that the very next operable window to the right was also open. 3) The cctv footage proves the whole thing did not happen in less than 30 seconds. 4) The video from behind clearly shows CW was on the railing for much longer than 5 seconds.

The behind video clearly shows the moment CW moves forward, whether still in the grip of SA or already loose from it, and that occurs only seconds before he falls to the deck. So I think the suggestion that he stood there for any longer than the 3 seconds it would have taken for her to fall is probably not accurate. A person leaning over the wood railing would definitely be able to see the whole way down to the pier. There are photos that show this. I believe what SA described was looking down for her thinking she had fallen between the glass and the railing and then realizing she was outside when he saw her falling to the pier. Remember, this all happened in just 3 seconds from the time she left his grip. Probably seemed like longer to SA. Especially in retrospect as it replayed in his mind.

13. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit Happy Times in Cactus Land

Instinct would have had someone else watch CW. Instinct would not be supporting who caused the death of your precious child, ESPECIALLY if the "accident" was so senseless and avoidable. JMOO.

14. HRH Phoebe Cat

Thank you for your thoughtful response.
    I must admit it wasn’t after I had posted that I remembered the witnesses and “act of games.” However, I cannot help but being quite interested in the time lapse between when little Chloe did fall and SA’s dramatic collapse on the floor.
    In the side view SA’s right arm/hand movements bother me.
    Hoping there is other/external camera footage that would help clarify this question.

15. Safetybug

Safetybug Well-Known Member

@HRH Phoebe Cat ~ thanks for sharing link and expounding bcuz I hadn’t ever seen that 17 minute Dec 11 press conference. Very enlightening as I had only read excerpts here and there.

The part that jumped out at me was where MW describes SA during those final 15 or so minutes as being a doting grandfather, helicopter grandparenting etc giving exactly the kind of care the lawyer expects his own grandparents would give! Really?!?

So apparently nobody on the panel sees the elephant in the room which is SA’s lifting her 4 feet off the ground and doing a mostly one handed balancing act on railing that is forbidden to be sat or stood on. I think that behind closed doors they really do blame him but hey, he is financially broke and there’s no “unlimited” financial pay out there.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  16. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit Happy Times in Cactus Land

Also, AFAIK, helicopter parents/grandparents do not let toddlers run SO FAR ahead of them as SA did in that video. That visual really stood out to me. But then I thought, "well, he knows what's going to happens, so he really does not care about her safety at that point"...

fabvab, La Louve, justbreathe and 8 others like this.
  17. mheido67

RCCL has already stated in there court filings that only the two cameras from which the footage was leaked captured any of the events involved in CW's death. I highly doubt they would do so if there was additional footage. Unless there is footage from some other source which I find doubtful seeing as no one has made any mention of any third party footage to date.

al66pine, neesaki, JulieBEMT and 3 others like this.
  18. Safetybug

Safetybug Well-Known Member

Agreed; Maybe I’m jaded ~ too often lawyers gloss over/omit facts, confabulate their spin and repeat it often with pseudo conviction into a “false narrative” So for MW to claim PR LE embraces a false narrative makes my skin burn :mad:

19. Kittybunny

Kittybunny Well-Known Member

Just checking in to see if the insanity has worn off yet and SA and his supporters have come to their senses and taken a plea. I see the answer, is no, no they have not.

20. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

As to the bolded, I agree. I would add that it will also come down to whether a reasonable person would ever put 18 month 0ld child up over the guard rail, and prop her up into a narrow window ledge, and hold her with one arm, when you have not even checked to see if there was glass yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.