IN IN - Greenwood, Male Skeletal UP1828, 14-30, sternum anomaly, Apr'93

AFAIK, they don't have an admission of guilt, they have no body, and the primary POI (i.e., the husband) isn't talking, so any stories they have are just that - stories - until they are corroborated.

They say that they check out every female body with the right age, and size. These female remains are the right age, and size, and they can't be bothered because it doesn't fit into their uncorroborated theories.

Go figure.

One would think that even if the Kokomo people don't want to follow up on leads, at least they would cooperate with another LE agency (i.e., Greenwood) that does.

That's terrible.

Is Klinkowski indicating Kokomo won't at least run DNA to see if these two can be ruled in our out?

I hope Klinkowski pushes it if he feels these are a strong possibility. IMO, it is not up to the detective to rule out, but rather the coroner or medical examiner to look and see if old scars which can be dated or other info makes these two not comparable or not worth comparing DNA.

jmo

Is Klinkowski indicating Kokomo won't at least run DNA to see if these two can be ruled in our out?

I hope Klinkowski pushes it if he feels these are a strong possibility. IMO, it is not up to the detective to rule out, but rather the coroner or medical examiner to look and see if old scars which can be dated or other info makes these two not comparable or not worth comparing DNA.

jmo

It appears that this is what he is saying - that they have statements from various individuals and they believe those statements, and they are not interested in seeing if additional information would contradict their assumptions.

I agree that Klinkowski should continue to push. I will contact him next week to see if he intends to pursue it further. If nothing else, they should put the DNA profiles for JDJ and the UID in CODIS. As I understand it, they are in the process of creating a DNA profile for the skeletal remains, but have not yet completed the process.

Kokomo PD just returned my call from a couple of weeks ago. I had mentioned that Det. Klinkowski had told me that the Kokomo authorities had decided that the two cases were not related without mentioning what led them to conclude that.

He said that he was surprised that Greenwood PD would disclose such information to the public.

I noted that it is not uncommon for various law enforcement agencies to provide exclusion lists to the public, even on open cases. Throughout the country, agencies have no problem with telling a tipster not only if the possible match was excluded, but also on what basis the exclusion was made. He replied that this was not their practice.

He did say that if it did turn out to be a match, he would notify me, but he does not notify tipsters of non-matches.

that stinks. I wonder what the premise for them not providing exclusions is?

it sounds very promising...the sternum defect is something that she or her family may not have even known about, but if she ever had an xray? it's probably not something that would cause symptoms. If someone knew about that, it would be a good way to connect her. The fact that they were linked by one single highway. Someone knows something, that's for sure.

I just received an e-mail from Eric Klinkowski:

Our subject's DNA analysis is complete, and its revealed that contrary to the anthropological report, our skeletal remains are a MALE.

D/Sgt Klinkowski

So that pretty conclusively rules out Julie Dalton Johnson :) I am glad that I didn't have to leave this case on my open submissions list in perpetuity.

I just received an e-mail from Eric Klinkowski:

So that pretty conclusively rules out Julie Dalton Johnson :) I am glad that I didn't have to leave this case on my open submissions list in perpetuity.

To state the obvious, I guess that changes things.

But this is good. We can focus on males now and maybe get a hit.

Thank you for your push, CarlK.

Is it possible for us to get mods to retitle this thread to indicate that the UID is male?

Wow...that was a shocker. So did they mention if they would be updating the age or any of the other information? I was thinking with such a short stature if it was possibly a young adult or child. I would think that they could surely tell that from the teeth.

I suppose they might not have found the skull in that 70%.

Wow...that was a shocker. So did they mention if they would be updating the age or any of the other information? I was thinking with such a short stature if it was possibly a young adult or child. I would think that they could surely tell that from the teeth.

I suppose they might not have found the skull in that 70%.

They had pieces of the skull, and only 8 teeth.

He sent me a follow-up saying that he contacted DoeNet, requesting a revision

I asked him in a follow-up e-mail whether he thought any other assumptions should be revised, given that 4'10" to 5'3" is small for an adult male. He replied that it is not too small if it is a child.

I did not follow up with the response that if it is possibly a child, then the age estimate would need to be revised.

I think since they are obviously not telling the truth when they said they check into each uid that has matches, you should send this to the same newspaper that quoted him in their article.
Something stinks here

I think since they are obviously not telling the truth when they said they check into each uid that has matches, you should send this to the same newspaper that quoted him in their article.
Something stinks here

There is not much traction to the narrative that they didn't bother to look, but it didn't turn out to be a match anyway.

It would only be newsworthy if a good match was left un-pursued.

Something stinks here

Meh. I don't think there's deliberate lies going on. Possible incompetence but more likely overwork and distraction...

The updated doenetwork file:

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on April 17, 1993 in Greenwood, Johnson County, Indiana
* Estimated Date of Death: 1 1/2-3 years prior
* Cause of Death: Foul play suspected
* State of Remains: Partial Skeleton - 70% recovered at the scene.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 14-30 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 4'10"-5'3".
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Detectives found the sternum with two holes rather than the more common single hole. The trait is shared by only 5 percent of the population.
* Fingerprints: Not available
* Dentals: Available
* DNA: Available

Case History
A few bones were found by three boys while playing in a rear field at 1095 Vicksburg Drive in Greenwood, Indiana on April 17, 1993. The subdivision is about 300 to 400 yards west of I-65, and about a quarter-mile south of the Greenwood interchange.

What followed was a complete search of the farm field. Greenwood detectives worked shifts, digging dirt and looking for other bones. One bone was found here, another yards away.
Over the next month, detectives found about 150 bones - 70 percent of a human skeleton. The only whole bones were femurs. Many of the bones had cut marks. Detectives theorized that farming equipment plowing the field had cut the bones and moved them around. Detectives walked the field with metal detectors but couldn't find a purse, personal belongings or a weapon such as gun, knife or spent cartridges.

The lack of personal items heightened the theory that the victim died as a result of foul play.
Most of the bones were found about 50 yards off I-65, leading detectives to suspect he had been murdered and the body dumped in the field where corn and soybeans were grown.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Detective Sgt. Eric Klinkowski
Greenwood Police Department
317-859-4484
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
93-4071

NCIC Number:
U-648105051
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Greenwood Police Department
NamUs

http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1791.html

Two missing small-statured 14 to 30 males from that time frame:

James Michael Baker
baker_james.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/baker_james.html
He was hitchhiking across the country when he disappeared, so he could be just about anywhere.
BTW, he kind of reminds me of the Grateful Dead fan UID, but he is too short.

Joshua Jerome Mahaffey
mahaffey_joshua.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mahaffey_joshua.html
Centralia IL is almost a straight shot up I-70 about 200 miles to Greenwood IN

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members