Found Deceased IN - Jacob Cole McCarty, 14, with his dog, Corydon, 21 Sep 2021

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Pepper6564, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Trumpet

Trumpet New Member

The Corydon Central High School Homecoming was the weekend of Sept 17. It can be hard for those kids who don't have friends to go with or a date. Also, social media is slammed with "hoco" pictures in the days following the dance.

This may have nothing to do with Jacob. It was just one of the first things I thought of that could affect the mental health of a high school student.

2. Valiant

Valiant Well-Known Member

A boy his age could be quite familiar with guns. I was at his age.

He was also in a wooded area. There may have been no one close to hear a gun shot (thick trees do muffle noise) or no one may have thought twice about hearing a gun where hunting and target practice may be common.

3. JurassicParker

JurassicParker WS Newb

I had to stop reading the comments bc I was starting to look a bit unstable sobbing at my work desk. This breaks my heart. I was hoping they had gotten lost and would be found...tired and hungry but alive. I cant see this child involving the dog if he had planned on hurting himself. I hope they release more information soon.

4. Vail

Vail Justice for Kara & Jessica

Sometimes a case jumps out and just twists the heart and this is one of them.

It never gets easier.

I am so sorry for Jacob's father, his family and friends. He represents a growing number of struggling young people facing increasingly tough lives with very little support. I can only hope there is something better that comes next for him and for all of us.

5. Gardenkeep

Gardenkeep Former Member

Thank you. I didn't see that information and was honestly confused how the gun had come into the situation. :)

Marg from Oz and Noemia like this.
  6. lizzied

lizzied Well-Known Member

ugh....i can't find another response. the poor family, dad.

7. lizzied

'meeting someone you met on the internet" is never ever a good sign when you are 14.

Marg from Oz likes this.
  8. legalmomma

legalmomma Well-Known Member

Especially when it was stated he met some one online.

9. lizzied

BBM

Hmmmm..because maybe the parents had the tracking app to find him by phone....so maybe he didn't want to be found so soon. JMO. He was 5'4" and 200 pounds at 14. Was he a victim of teasing, was he involved with weirdos on the WWW? I found it odd that the communicating thing.....because if you are just going for a walk, you generally don't need to communicate to someone, you just come home . Dad's 'bad feeling' is the worst. . . like he felt it, that parent thing. But tell me did the LE really state he was not at risk? Just for my own clarification. Thanks.
    All JMO

Marg from Oz and WillieMac like this.
  10. lizzied

About familiarity with guns. . ..we have a lot of people with guns where I live, when i first got here I was alarmed. But the thing is, most of the people with guns, tell me the first thing they do when kids are old enough, is teach them gun safety. I still find it unsettling that they got a gun for protection and put it in a closet and it was the first thing the dad looked for.

11. Pepper6564

Pepper6564 Well-Known Member

According to my grand he had a girlfriend the three of them had that FaceTime and they talked almost every night together 3 way call thing you can do.

Helloyou, lizzied, momsof3 and 4 others like this.
  12. Pepper6564

Pepper6564 Well-Known Member

I wish nick smith the LE had let the dad talk more during the interview.

Marg from Oz and hawkeyefan51 like this.
  13. thepinkdragon

thepinkdragon Verified US Army Veteran/Certified Veteran's Menta

If this turns out to be a suicide I’ll be even more heartbroken. I cannot even fathom how his father must be feeling, knowing that a weapon was left unsecured in his residence. My son has many issues and I have two secured firearms that he cannot access. One has a bolt lock and the other is in a locked pelican case. Only I know where the keys are. I also don’t keep ammunition in the same place. Not a good situation for an intruder, but I have an alarm system. My son’s safety is more important to me. I feel so awful for this family.

Helloyou, stygianowl, momsof3 and 6 others like this.
  14. Sweet Tooth

Sweet Tooth Well-Known Member

I am just heartbroken at the outcome of this story. I thought for sure this would end differently simply because the dog was with him if for no other reason.:(

15. Valiant

Valiant Well-Known Member

I am sure the father is devastated and will likely blame himself for two reasons: 1) The gun, 2) Not seeing warning signs.
    <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2021
    momsof3, haraS, WillieMac and 2 others like this.
  16. Soulmagent

Soulmagent Well-Known Member

I hope it was misguided judgement leading them to think it was acceptable. They are probably trying to handle it softly for the family.

MajorHoople and Marg from Oz like this.