IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #2

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K.jill

K.jill Well-Known Member

2. 155etta

155etta Well, well, well.....

I can see the Hispanic in this picture more than the others I've seen. MOO.
    Google Maps

3. waterslyd

waterslyd Active Member

I think he bought them as engagement rings and is too embarrassed to say it didnt work out-twice.

4. everybodhi

everybodhi Well-Known Member

Seems like some astute neighbors had spoken with him, were suspicious and initially alerted police to him upon their arrival.
    I think she felt safe because he was right next door.
    BBM
    After getting past the chain lock on the door to the basement, they found her further restrained in some manner when they went downstairs.
    Next door neighbor locks 9-year-old girl in basement, cops interrupt rape & MURDER in progress: Police

5. everybodhi

everybodhi Well-Known Member

Can I communicate with an offender over the internet?

6. Sugarsnap56

Sugarsnap56 Active Member

7. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

8. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Credit: WTHR
    The Lafayette Police Department said the 9-year-old girl was found in the home of James Chadwell II.

source

714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 | Zillow
    (Map, Photo, & Streetview at link)

*There are 3 schools within an .8 of a mile (Elementary, Middle and High School)

“This is a 912 square foot, 1.0 bathroom, single family home. This home is located at 714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904.”

Zestimate
    $127,062

Interior details

Bedrooms and bathrooms

• Bathrooms: 1
    Basement
    • Basement: Unfinished
    Heating
    • Heating features: Other
    Cooling
    • Cooling features: Central
    Other interior features
    • Total interior livable area: 912 sqft

Property details

Parking

• Parking features: Garage - Attached
    Lot
    • Lot size: 5,998 sqft
    Other property information
    • Parcel number: 790728432004000004

Construction details

Type and style

• Home type: SingleFamily
    Material information
    • Construction materials: Frame
    • Foundation: Crawl/Raised
    • Roof: Asphalt
    Condition
    • Year built: 1943

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  9. margarita25

So, re: the above post, does the house have a crawl space then?

(Ugh, flashbacks of Jessica Ridgeway)

10. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

It could be this data has been edited since the time of the crime. The basement is not totally unfinished. It is partially finished. The original listing stated the basement could be finished out in order to have an extra living space.

After reading the property's description a few days ago, I posted here by asking if he had a sofa in the basement. jmho

11. margarita25

Bringing forward Knife / Artwork / Voice video:

* Noting Nirvana & other Hard Rock/Metal music in background

* Also, someone had mentioned “Nightmare Before Christmas” art work, not sure if this is the video.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Seenit, Deerrun and DeDee like this.
  12. margarita25

Lafayette man charged with attempted murder and child molestation

“The girl was found naked, with her clothing on the floor beside her.
    She told police that Chadwell tried to kill her. She'd gone to Chadwell's to pet his dog but once she was inside, he attacked her and hit her in the head several times because she was fighting back.
    She told police that Chadwell was choking her and putting her into a headlock before she passed out.
    When she regained consciousness, she says Chadwell took her into the basement, where she said Chadwell tried to rape her, before sexually assaulting her another way. Chadwell got dressed at some point, to answer the door for the police.

Prosecutors also say the victim had lateral strangulation marks across her neck, she had broken blood vessels with black eyes, bruising to her head, arms, and legs, and bite marks.””

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2021
  13. mpnola

mpnola Well-Known Member

Do we know how to get the probable cause affidavit? Sounds like the media has them.

Medstudies, Seenit, Deerrun and 7 others like this.
  14. BrownRice

BrownRice Well-Known Member

30 minutes is pretty quick to call the police. Thank god the parents did. I think often we assume we are overreacting (trying not to panic because we know the kid will show up!) and precious time is wasted by not acting quickly.

This case reminds me of Ariel Castro who kidnapped 3 young women and kept them in his locked basement. There’s NO reason to have a padlock on your basement door....

15. FBEye

FBEye Active Member

Jumping off DeDee's response to Margarita25's post-

Yes, DeDee! I believe the data online has been edited recently.

If you look carefully at Margarita25's original source link going to the WTHR article, focus on the 714 Park Ave house in the video and photo. It was confusing deciphering the front and back of the house.
    Then look at the house views on Zillow.com and realtor.com "listings".
    The attached garage is in the back accessed by a partial block alley that backs up to the Main St. backyards. Yikes!!
    And you can see the fenced back yard (and shed!!) we were wondering about.......
    On the Tippecanoe County real estate tax site there are 5 views of the property as well..... It shows the house changed hands last summer, but no inside pictures were retained. I believe they were scrubbed from the Internet.
    Mapping out a hypothetical 2400 (24??) block address to 714 Park Ave on Bing (choose aerial or road view) or Google Maps (choose map or satellite view) it helps to clarify even further.

Now that we know so much more as of yesterday, this little comparison clearly shows how easily and quickly this happened and the proximity from a geographical perspective.

Frightening, horrific, opportunistic, so many adjectives come to mind. She must have been beyond terrified, I can't even imagine.

This poor little angel, her family, the neighborhood, this city, etc. will never be the same.
    Thank you to all the WSers, you nailed it and certainly are Rockstar investigators!

Links repeated for clarity:
    Man charged with attempted murder after missing girl rescued from his Lafayette home | wthr.com
    714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 | Zillow
    714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 - realtor.com®
    Property Tax Payments | Tippecanoe County, IN (click on Property Info at the top to access and plug in the address at Beacon - Tippecanoe County, IN - Search (schneidercorp.com)
    2400 main st to 714 park ave lafayette in - Bing Maps (change A to 2401 Main St for a hypothetical 2400 block address)
    2401 Main St, Lafayette, IN 47904 to 714 Park Ave, Lafayette, IN 47904 - Google Maps

IMO, MOO, and the rest of the alphabet

16. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

Thank you, FBEye. Frankly, if I owned the Park Ave. property, I'd change whatever I felt best suited my future financial interests. I'd read where the home was 'updated' in FEB 2021.

I believe the reason wthr.com showed an image with crime scene tape at the back of the 714 Park Ave residence, as opposed to the front facing Park Ave., was because it shows the entry point of the victim.

If true, she entered via the alleyway which, as you noted, contains the backyards of the homes on the 2400 block of Main Street, near the bus stop on the map you provided, where the missing person's report to police was made.

17. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

From the Suzanne Morphew missing case in Colorado, I learned there are 1400 missing persons as of Jan 2021 in the state.

Indiana currently has appx 1175 missing persons. These are astounding numbers.
    ISP: Missing Person Bulletin

18. Marg from Oz

Marg from Oz Well-Known Member

How lucky this little girl was to be found by LE. With all those injuries and the black eyes, he was never going to let her go home. Whether he was going to keep her for his sadistic enjoyment or kill her he was never going to let her go alive.
    I can't believe this is his first rodeos. What were his plans? MOO

19. FBEye

FBEye Active Member

SBM
    Found naked, just makes me sicker. What a monster!!

Pre-trial three months from now???? That seems like forever.

".......He is set to have a pre-trial hearing on July 16th. His bond is set for $500,000 Surety and $50,000 Cash..........."

20. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

Wonder. Does he rent or own? 50k to a bondsman seems too little. What is up with Indiana?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.