IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great catch! It looks like a whole hidden identity. In some places, you see him use his middle name which helps avoid felony detection, plus create a false identity.
Many men with the same name as their father use their middle name, it seems this was the case here. I don't believe he was trying to create a false identity or avoid anyone.
moo

And is it common for LE to track down and question all local RSO’s in a child murder case, if SA was not involved?

Snipped by me...
IMO, yes it is common, for two reasons. One is that child abduction murders, if not related to familial violence, are overwhelmingly sexually motivated.

And two, a sexually motivated crime often does not include physical evidence of sexual assault.

Source: Child Abduction Murder Research | Washington State

Reading this article from 14 months ago...brought chills and .. Just listening to her words, her despair, her hopes and how this tragedy changed her lives. This article would have been lost in the garbage in the past... but we can relive it by rereading it.

And now, we can read that article that would have been lost years ago...so we can cheer her on.
And maybe now, 14 months later, we can maybe sortof consider a thrill if the perp is caught.......

I looked into that too, he had a check in in California two days after she went missing.

ETA: JBC seems like an impulsive predator, if he comes across a child that’s alone he takes advantage. Like the neighbor child, if Libby & Abby are his victims it seems like he just took advantage of them being alone.

What does this actually mean...... "he had a check in in CA"
sorry, but i just don't know

Did I hear correctly that JBC approached LE to say the girl had been there earlier!?

If I recall correctly, as LEO was going door to door, a neighbor reported seeing the little girl at JBC's. So they went to his house, I suppose telling him she'd been seen there, and asking JBC if he knew where she was. It was in response to whatever they said to him that he replied something like, "She was here, but isn't here anymore." I don't think he approached LEO on his own and volunteered this info. I can't find the source so my opinion only.

What does this actually mean...... "he had a check in in CA"
sorry, but i just don't know

It's a feature on FB that allows a user to announce their location or places that they've been. FB will use location data from your phone to suggest nearby places to you. But you can also input them yourself so you don't really need to be close to Disney world, let's say, to "check in" there.

Reading this article from 14 months ago...brought chills and .. Just listening to her words, her despair, her hopes and how this tragedy changed her lives. This article would have been lost in the garbage in the past... but we can relive it by rereading it.

And now, we can read that article that would have been lost years ago...so we can cheer her on.
And maybe now, 14 months later, we can maybe sortof consider a thrill if the perp is caught.......

Creepy....The article was published Feb 11, 2020
Libby German's sister studying at Purdue so tragedy doesn't happen to another family
His photo at Perdu was May 16, 2020
Brian Chadwell

She also states in the article: "I've listened to that audio clip about a million times. I think the voice is just so familiar to all of us," said Kesli. "After we heard that he was local, it became more of an idea that I might have talked to him. Maybe I met him at Dairy Queen or the gas station.

If I recall correctly, as LEO was going door to door, a neighbor reported seeing the little girl at JBC's. So they went to his house, I suppose telling him she'd been seen there, and asking JBC if he knew where she was. It was in response to whatever they said to him that he replied something like, "She was here, but isn't here anymore." I don't think he approached LEO on his own and volunteered this info. I can't find the source so my opinion only.
While questioning neighbors, several of them told officers that the child’s next-door neighbor, James Brian Chadwell II, said he saw the girl after she disappeared. When the officers arrived at Chadwell’s house, he denied knowing the victim’s whereabouts but said she’d been by his home earlier and left.

Chadwell gave the officers permission to search his home. According to the Journal & Courier, authorities searched throughout the home, including the basement, which had a chain lock on the door. Officers got the door open and heard a child crying from the bottom of the basement stairs.

A little girl, locked up at the bottom of the stairs, told the officers that Chadwell tried to kill her. She reportedly had bruises all over her body, strangulation marks on her neck, and dog bites on her leg.
Next door neighbor locks 9-year-old girl in basement, cops interrupt rape & MURDER in progress: Police

The more time passes without him being ruled out by our excellent sleuthers for Abby/Libby's crimes, the closer I inch to the possibility that he could be responsible. But since this is his thread and focused on the current crime, I am also curious about whether he has ever acted on impulse to attack/sexually assault another, be it grown woman or child. Obviously, nothing was reported since it doesn't show up on his record, but as many have pointed out, it doesn't mean he hasn't done it. I'm also really curious about his periods of sobriety vs periods of drinking, and how that might play into the timing and nature of his crimes. To me it seems that his previous criminal history is very linked to typical alcohol-fueled crimes - stealing liquor, assault, stuff like that. Kinda rebellious, immature, and violent stuff - but not anything like he did to this poor child.

So question for those who have been analyzing his social media - I would be interested to know if he was sober in the days/on the day of when this SA of the neighbor happened, and whether he was in a period of sobriety/binging when Abby/Libby's murder took place. (@margarita25?)

The two crimes/MO seem pretty different to me, but could be explained if alcohol was a factor in one but not another ?. I don't believe the underlying twistedness/rage/sadism changes since that's fundamental, but the impulse to act and the sloppiness/care of the crime could, I think. (Based on my experiences as a recovered alcoholic).

@Yemelan - curious if you have stats/studies how alcohol or substance abuse impacts or not the MO of serial offenders or if it plays a role.

While questioning neighbors, several of them told officers that the child’s next-door neighbor, James Brian Chadwell II, said he saw the girl after she disappeared. When the officers arrived at Chadwell’s house, he denied knowing the victim’s whereabouts but said she’d been by his home earlier and left.

Chadwell gave the officers permission to search his home. According to the Journal & Courier, authorities searched throughout the home, including the basement, which had a chain lock on the door. Officers got the door open and heard a child crying from the bottom of the basement stairs.

A little girl, locked up at the bottom of the stairs, told the officers that Chadwell tried to kill her. She reportedly had bruises all over her body, strangulation marks on her neck, and dog bites on her leg.
Next door neighbor locks 9-year-old girl in basement, cops interrupt rape & MURDER in progress: Police

It could be that this is part of his thinking. He inserts himself into conversations, etc. then attempts to play it off as cool...
It seems (JMO) He inserted himself into the search for the girl saying he had seen her and while the search was still in its early phase did the horrendous things he did until she was found.
Then tried to play it cool again per the article above by giving them permission to search his home.
Nah - JMO- This isn’t his first evil crime....

What kind of traits do serial killers have?

Alcohol and/or Substance Abuse
Children in the womb that are exposed to alcohol and other substances can cause them to have serious birth defects such as, small eye openings, small heart or brain, central nervous system issues and mental disabilities.

Children growing up in a home with substance and or alcohol abuse can develop, ADHD, feelings of inadequacy, attachments disorders, behavioral problems and depression.

These characteristics can be evident at a young age. According to the FBI, 70% of serial killers’ homes had experienced problems related to substance abuse. But there are very few serial killers that have been addicted to alcohol and substances.

Psychological Abuse During Childhood
Of all the interviews with known serial killers, 50% of them say that they had been suffered some type of abuse during their childhood.

This caused them to feel humiliated, and when parents would “discipline” their child it would happen unexpectedly and was detrimental to the child, which could lead to developmental issues in the child.

This can cause the child to desensitize and not have any empathy for others.

Sexually Stressful Events in Childhood
Violent sexual events during childhood can have serious effects on a person’s development. The most damaging type of event for a child is either witnessing the event or experiencing the event.

This lead teenagers to develop venereal diseases, or were sexually abused by parents and/or family members. Such abuse would often create violent fantasies and would resonate with them until adulthood. Sexual abuse can also lead to learning disabilities, social isolation, seizures and self-control problems.

Bed Wetting
Bedwetting has been said not to be an indicator of a serial killer, but there is a definite correlation between bed wetting and serial killers.

Researchers say that bedwetting past the age of five can be very demeaning for a child, especially if the child is mocked by their parents or siblings. This can cause the child to abuse animals to channel their anger.

About 60% of serial killers were still wetting their beds after the age of five..

Growing Up Lonely and Isolated
Children that have grown up isolated and lonely usually have siblings that are always fighting with them or who have mentally disowned them. These relationship problems can lead to not being able to forge meaningful relationships later in life and end up as a loner. They are usually not regarded by most people; they are frequently bullied, and they can develop antisocial disorders at a very young age. This can lead to arson, theft, aggression, hostility, and eventually can lead to murder.

Fantasies
The fantasies of serial killers are usually about violations and control. During a research study, it was apparent that every serial killer could not remember a positive fantasy as a child. They would fantasize about traumatic situations where they are the assailant. Thoughts of fulfilling their fantasies will cause them to focus on committing murder and after their first murder they focus on committing more murders with greater efficiency.

Developing voyeurism and fetishism in adulthood
Many serial killers are overly interested in fetishism and of paraphilia and these usually begin at an early age. Many start out as peeping-toms, but then move onto breaking into houses, rape and murder.

Acting Out Fantasies on Animals
99 percent of serial killers admit to acting out their violent fantasies on animals before moving onto humans. Due to dysfunctional families that most serial killers come from, most parents do not notice the violent acts their child is committing. These acts of animal mutilation are a huge source of pleasure for the young killer and use the animals to practice their “art”, and later move on to humans.
https://www.henry.k12.va.us/cms/lib/VA01000023/Centricity/Domain/421/Serial Killers.pptx

I don't find it that creepy that Libby's sister attends Purdue and that JBC liked to scope it out (I mean, I find his behavior creepy but not the coincidence that she attends there). She transferred from Ball State in order to study forensics and to be closer to family in the wake of the murders. Purdue is close to Delphi as we know. JBC lives in Lafayette so Purdue's the closest large university for what he wanted to do (check out young people and indulge his immaturity). There are over 40,000 students at Purdue IIRC. I don't think it necessarily means he was stalking her in particular. JMO

@Yemelan - curious if you have stats/studies how alcohol or substance abuse impacts or not the MO of serial offenders or if it plays a role.

Snipped by me.

I have studied this, or maybe I should say topics tangential to this. I know more about this as it relates to child murderers and serial child murderers than offenders in general. All of this is MOO.

There is a link between substance abuse and violent offending that has been well-established by many studies. One issue is that many of these use self-reporting by inmates so there may be some bias (as they try to find excuses for their crimes) but it appears that many violent criminals (of all kinds) used alcohol or drugs the day that they committed the acts that landed them in custody. And it makes sense because, while studies have not found that people are "driven mad by drugs" and have no choice other than to offend, substance use does lower inhibitions and depress the decision making that leads to proper impulse control. So if you already had a compulsion to offend, by and large the use of substances is not going to help you resist that urge.

Speaking more specifically about those offenders who perpetrate the abduction and murder of children, I will tell you a little about their characteristics. This information comes from a huge study (over 800 cases) of child abduction killers. About one-fourth of people who abducted and killed a child were already on probation or parole for another offense on the day they committed their crime. A large proportion of child abduction killers had a history of prior violent offenses, particularly against children but often against adults as well. Most of these had previous crimes of sex assault or rape against children, but a large number had "regular" kidnap or assault charges with no history of sexual offenses as well.

About one-fourth of the child abduction killers studied have alcohol abuse problems. About one-fifth were judged to have serious drug-related problems. These child killers, as a group, were more likely to experience personal behavior problems than the "average" killer. One-third of them had previously exhibited sexual problems - ten times more likely to exhibit this than a non-child abduction killer. They were slightly more likely to be substance abusers or have diagnosed mental problems than a non-child abduction killer. Offenders who have crimes against children in series are more likely to have sexual, substance abuse, and mental problems than one-off killers of children.

In all respects, the person who abducts and kills a child is more like a serial killer of adults than any other type of criminal in their personal characteristics. Sexual motivation exists for the majority of child abduction/murder crimes.

I'm unaware of anything linking choice of MO to substance abuse but I will make two comments. A weapon is much less likely to be found as a piece of evidence in child abduction murders than other types of crimes. That's because child abduction killers more often kill by human physical agency (strangling, beating, etc.) than by a weapon. Not every case, obviously, but more often. Child abduction murderers are also more likely to use bindings as part of the fantasy of the crime than other types of killers (except serial killers of adults). In fact, use of bindings is the one statistically significant finding that can predict whether investigators are dealing with a serial offender or not. The majority of child abduction murderers use physical force or threats of force to attack their victims (over grooming).

Again, all MOO but for details on the statistics I quoted, again, they can be found here: Child Abduction Murder Research | Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1