IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OverTheRhine

OverTheRhine Well-Known Member

Alright, alright, alright.

2. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

It didn't strike me as a hidden identity. He certainly lies a lot and many of his remarks have...um, interesting potential double interpretations, but I don't think he's trying to hide his identity. He appears to go by Brian most of the time, probably to distinguish himself from his father who has the same name.

ETA: Not saying he hasn't used other identities as you suggest. Only that I didn't see evidence of it in the photo captions on Facebook.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  3. Stephen2016

Stephen2016 Well-Known Member

I'm leaning on he has done this before... there are some girls in Iowa that were murdered in 2012 which some are wondering if he was involved in that. His victim I guess this time was a next door neighbor. How brazen of him to do that. Was it on impulse or did he think he wouldn't be caught ?

The Evansdale Murders — Unresolved

4. Tnsmith0712

Tnsmith0712 Former Member

Could be. I specialize in white-collar crime and the manipulation of names is often a sign of a changed or hidden background for one reason or another. This is especially so with medical licensures. I will often be involved in cases that start off straightforward then start to unravel in other crime areas. Absolutely fascinating work but like most cases it is the small things that give criminals away. Most people with felonies have major reasons to need to hide them. I think this person fits that profile. We do get involved with financial-based crimes then leads to death investigations. This case caught my personal attention for two reasons 1) it is shocking to see potentially two brutal attackers so geographically close unless they are one and the same. 2) it seems obvious to me the perp has to know the area well. Both cases appear to be high impulse, high risk of some level of detection. So now, we have two people that are impulsive, geographically close, with similar traits.

IHAVENOCLUE, bbbd4u, mompalm and 44 others like this.
  5. Yemelyan

Yemelyan Well-Known Member

It is shocking but there are more than two people who are impulsive, geographically close, and with similar traits. Neighboring Howard County, IN, which has one of the bigger cities (Kokomo) in that area near Lafayette where JBC was living, had a child rapist residing there in 2017 who had served his time for attempted rape, criminal confinement, and attempted criminal deviate conduct. This is what his court document says he did (name redacted because it is unrelated to this case):

The victim, XX, was eleven (11) years old at the time of this incident. [THE OFFENDER] posed as a police officer to gain the confidence of XX and, after getting her in his automobile, detained her there for a period of three and one-half (3 1/2) hours. He used a knife to threaten her and induce her to do what he wished. He admitted he tried to have sexual intercourse with her. He also inflicted cuts on her throat, stomach, and wrists. The record of the guilty plea hearing revealed that [THE OFFENDER] had committed similar acts four months prior to the present incident, was convicted of the crime of confinement and was placed on probation. He was still on probation for the confinement conviction at the time he committed the attempted rape in the instant cause.

Had Chadwell managed to put off the police who returned to his door that evening, and had he ended up killing his victim, LE might be right now looking into the whereabouts of the above individual instead in order to find out what happened to her.

6. ReadySet

ReadySet Well-Known Member

It is shocking that there would be more than one person with those traits and behaviors so close geograpically, I think someone else brought that up last week as an example of why it must be the same person.

I immediately thought of 9 year old Daralyn Johnson in Nampa, Idaho, who was abducted and found murdered in 1982.

Only nine months later, 30 minutes away in Boise, 14 year old Lisa Chambers was abducted and found murdered.

It must have been the same killer, right? Only nine months apart! And Nampa only had a population of 25,000 at the time; Boise was about 130,000 . The Boise Valley didn't even have proximity to any large metropolitan area, like Delphi and Lafayette do.

It took decades to solve both these cases. These were two separate killers, who had nothing to do with each other. They were strangers to each of the girls. They did both live in the girls' general neighborhoods.

7. Kittybunny

Kittybunny Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for all this enlightening information - as always you bring such a thoughtful factual perspective to these discussions. Lots to think about.

8. Sillybilly

Sillybilly Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I highly doubt he was in California, and another little FB goody seems to allow members to fake your checkin locations :rolleyes:

<self snipped because I think I may have misunderstood something .. not hard to do in this case>

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  9. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Super interesting.

Welcome to WS. Stick around! We could use your contributions and insights.

jmo

10. max99

max99 Well-Known Member

I remember that case. Don't remember where I saw it (probably here) but I remember reading about this. No defendant name?

I hope like hell this all ties into JBC....if anything for peace for the families

11. Tiff23fr

Tiff23fr Verified Expert - Cultural & Behavioral Dynamics Staff Member Moderator

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Case: 79D02-2104-F1-000010
    05/04/2021
    Motion for Continuance Filed

05/04/2021
    Order Issued
    Granting Motion to Continue Omnibus Date

07/16/2021
    Pretrial Conference
    Session:
    07/16/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

08/10/2021
    Jury Trial
    Session:
    08/10/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

12. Deerrun

Deerrun Well-Known Member

I had to look up what the word omnibus means in this context. If I understand correctly the pros. needs more time to obtain evidence. Is this correct and is this usual?

13. Tiff23fr

Tiff23fr Verified Expert - Cultural & Behavioral Dynamics Staff Member Moderator

Below is the google version I found for Indiana:
     1 . (a) This subsection applies to persons charged with a felony.  A date, known as the omnibus date:
    (1) must be set by the judicial officer at the initial hearing;  and
    (2) must be no earlier than forty-five (45) days and no later than seventy-five (75) days after the completion of the initial hearing, unless the prosecuting attorney and the defendant agree to a different date.

(b) The purpose of the omnibus date is to establish a point in time from which various deadlines under this article are established.  The court shall direct the clerk to notify the defendant and all counsel of record of the omnibus date.

Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-36-8-1 | FindLaw

14. Deerrun

Deerrun Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Marg from Oz and catch_22 like this.
  15. Yemelyan

Yemelyan Well-Known Member

The perpetrator for the crime I quoted in this article went to jail for it. He was out of jail by 2017. His identity is known; I didn't include it because the important thing isn't to say his name in this thread but to illustrate that there are more offenders like JBC in that tri-county area than most people realize.

16. JDough

JDough Well-Known Member

I wonder if JBC was sightseeing at Purdue in September 2017?

Woman: I was grabbed, dragged by a masked man near Purdue University

[...] She got out of her car and when she started walking, a man immediately grabbed her by her arms and put his hand over her mouth, Mann said. He told her to stay quiet and not to make any noise. He then allegedly started to drag her toward a dumpster near a wooded area. [...]

She described the man as white, between 30 to 40 years old, dressed in all black and wearing a ski mask.

17. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

Family of man being eyed by cops over 2017 Delphi railtrack murders speak out | Daily Mail Online

A man being eyed over the unsolved unsolved murders of two teenage girls in Delphi, Indiana is 'absolutely capable' of having committed the horrific crimes, his own brother says.

Ashley Chadwell said his brother 'should be locked up and never let loose again, because he’s a monster'.

Meanwhile, Chadwell's own stepfather also told Inside Edition that his stepson could be responsible for the double murders.

'Is he capable? Probably. And you know, should they let him back out on the street? Not ever. Throw away the key this time,' he stated.

18. Stephen2016

I was wondering where he was in 2012 and if he could of been responsible for the The Evansdale Murders — Unresolved / Evansdale Murders. I saw this It was posted in regards to a marriage license in March of 2012 but in Indiana not Iowa.

upload_2021-5-5_4-43-18.png

19. Stephen2016

upload_2021-5-5_4-46-13.png

Looks like he was Married in Indiana on March 29th, 2012. Someone else had posted this info.

July 13th 2012 was the Evansdale murders in Iowa. The Evansdale Murders — Unresolved.

20. nhmemorymaker

nhmemorymaker Well-Known Member

I agree.... After now reading many of JBC's exchanges with friends on his facebook page over the years..... I don't see him as the stereotypical "loser" that I jumped to in the beginning.... He made friends, and had lots of cousin exchanges that normal people have. He had lots of respect as a tat artist. Some felt they knew him well, and just "couldn't believe" what they had found out about him...

He posted an emotional post of himself as a baby, being held by him mom (also practically a baby), and another woman who was probably his grandmother. His comments were "two of the best women in the world".

I am actually thinking he really could be the smart secret serial killer type.

just rambling....moo, moo moo....

Last edited: May 5, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.