IN IN - Kristy Kelley, 27, Boonville, 15 Aug 2014 #3

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by los2188, Aug 16, 2014.

1. concernedmother

concernedmother Active Member

http://www.tristatehomepage.com/story/d/story/-/Mq0jxvmIwEuA_tTOWBF2WA
    A Warrick County teenager is alive tonight, possibly thanks to a guard rail built in January. His father says the death of Kristy Kelley allowed his son to survive a similar accident.
    It happened last week just south of Boonville – in the same spot Kelley drove her car into a pond. But a the recent addition to the intersection may have saved a life.

2. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for posting.

3. heartgoesout

heartgoesout Well-Known Member

goosebumps. thank you for sharing

4. texasgirl2

texasgirl2 Verified Insider in Hannah Thomas Garner case

LOVE this! :) Makes me very happy that something good could come out of the loss of KK. I still think about her every day!

5. foxtrotromeo

foxtrotromeo New Member

Wondering why we haven't heard of the toxicology report findings? Anybody hear anything?

6. jessarox

jessarox Well-Known Member

2+ years since you asked but I just stumbled upon an article from a month ago that says that they were unable to determine the amount of alcohol in her system.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2017/09/21/mysterious-death-kristy-kelley/479043001/

There's also an interview with her father there. I never realized before that there were parts of her vehicle found down the road from where she was found. Definitely seems like there's more to the story but the police won't reopen the case. :(

7. heartgoesout

That's more info than I remember. Indeed odd circumstances.

8. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

Crime Watch Daily is doing a segment on Kristy tomorrow.

9. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

'It doesn't make sense': The mysterious death of Kristy Kelley

[....]

Scales said he doesn't understand why there was no evidence of his daughter fighting for her life in the water.

The location of Kelley's SUV was, itself, an oddity. Surveillance camera footage gathered during the police investigation showed Kelley's vehicle traveling westbound on Ind. 62 toward her house, police records show. The lake where she was found was miles in the opposite direction.

Her SUV was found in park, according to a police report.

An expert who examined the vehicle said the extent of damage couldn't be explained by the SUV entering the water. Its front end and hood were crumpled. The bumper, fender, power steering pump and grill were damaged. The expert concluded there must have been a collision before the SUV entered the lake. The damage, the expert said, would have made it very difficult for Kelley to turn.

Scales drove and walked the roads surrounding the spot where Kelley's SUV entered the water, searching for anything that could have caused the accident. A volunteer found other pieces of the Xterra nearby.

He and several volunteers also inspected Kelley's SUV at the tow yard and visited the lake to look for evidence. Divers even went back into the water to look for other pieces of the Xterra.

[....]

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/09/21/mysterious-death-kristy-kelley/479043001/

10. TruthIsStranger

TruthIsStranger Active Member

Wow, pieces of the car found on the road? Unexplained damage to the vehicle's front end? Car in park? A sheriff that seals up an investigation and won't open it? Traveling in a different direction Than expected? Not saying goodbye to her friends after hours? Lots of unanswered questions remain. What a mystery.

11. heartgoesout

So what's next? Getting the documents unsealed?

12. Hoosgirl

Hoosgirl Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this. Really thorough article, very good piece of reporting. It does seem like a lot of unanswered questions!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. jessarox

Appeals court to hear arguments as family seeks records in Kristy Kelley's death

WOW, this is crazy. I really hope the family is able to get some answers. This poor girl died way too young and now it seems like it could have been a murder. Wow. :(

ThinkThinkThink and heartgoesout like this.
  14. heartgoesout

Don't give up Mr Scales!

ThinkThinkThink likes this.
  15. jessarox

Appeals court orders Warrick County judge release records in Kristy Kelley death investigation

They really screwed the pooch on that one. As soon as they declared it an accident, they took away their right to cover it up. I really hope the family is able to get some answers now.

16. heartgoesout

So has the family received the records yet or is there a whole rigamarole with that?

17. jessarox

The sheriff's department has 30 days to file an appeal, hopefully it won't come to that.

18. heartgoesout

So if the sheriff's dept files an appeal does the same judge hear and decide on said appeal?
    My other question is what type of information would be in these records being sought to be released?

19. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Wow. I remember this tragic case very well - was surprised to see it active on WS. I have some catching up to do. Thanks to WSers who noticed the new developments.

leep and ThinkThinkThink like this.
  20. jessarox