Identified! IN - Lake Village, 'Brad' 1384UMIN, Eyler victim, Oct'83 - John Ingram Brandenburg, Jr.

Yes, agree. Very clearly not Jewish.
I thought the Pachuco cross tat would have been strange on a Jewish boy, but many are nonobservant or practice a different religion, so it did not throw me off too much.

Now it looks he was from a very endogamous population of entirely Anglo descent... not German, as I initially thought he may have been. Irish or Scottish. With really no other admix. Ive never seen that.

Anything that comes to anybodys mind? Are there highly endogamous populations of Irish or scottish descent living in the US?

Hmm, the more i look at it, i wouldnt rule out a very endogamous German heritage group, either, like PA Dutch, Amish... his estimate shows German, but quite low, but thats not an issue normally.

Or if we talk about Anglo, maybe LDS or something similar? Any other very endogamous communities of European descent?
I remember Louise Petersen Flesher also coming from such a group, she also had a real big endogamy issue.

Yes, agree. Very clearly not Jewish.
I thought the Pachuco cross tat would have been strange on a Jewish boy, but many are nonobservant or practice a different religion, so it did not throw me off too much.

Now it looks he was from a very endogamous population of entirely Anglo descent... not German, as I initially thought he may have been. Irish or Scottish. With really no other admix. Ive never seen that.

Anything that comes to anybodys mind? Are there highly endogamous populations of Irish or scottish descent living in the US?
What first came to mind was rural Appalachia. Many Scotch-Irish settled there, and stereotypes aside, such geographic isolation may have contributed to endogamy.

He is actually fairly genetically distant from any suggested population... his oracle distance starts at 13, anything up to 6 is considered reliable....

But he has predominantly Northern European genes in such a high amount ive hardly seen anywhere in Europeans. The stereotypical German has way less, same with French (so i guess it rules out Cajun endogamy). Maybe really Irish or Scottish.

Perhaps his parents were immigrants. There continue to be villages in rural parts of the UK, Ireland and Scotland where families and communities have bred and interbred over generations. While this isn't the article I was trying to find and post here, this one is interesting

" He said that while these kinds of genetic divisions were breaking down over the past century as people began to move around the country more and more, the proof of Ireland’s relative lack of diversity was born out in the DNA. .... We see relatively high percentages of the Irish genome have Norwegian ancestry,” he said. “And specifically from Norwegian coastal areas. We already knew the history of this, but this is now objective scientific fact that there is Viking DNA in Ireland.

Broadly speaking, Ireland is quite preserved. The Celtic – that is anything that was here before the Vikings – that part of the Irish genome is still around 70%.
He said that the further west people go, the less influence they will find in our DNA from other groups."

www.thejournal.ie/ancestry-gaelic-irish-3744043-Dec2017/
Are Irish people really that diverse genetically? Now, we have a much better idea (thejournal.ie)

Perhaps his parents were immigrants. There continue to be villages in rural parts of the UK, Ireland and Scotland where families and communities have bred and interbred over generations. While this isn't the article I was trying to find and post here, this one is interesting
Indeed - I've worked with Irish genealogy in the past and it can be quite difficult due to this very reason, especially within certain counties/villages. The commonality of surnames (Smith, Fraser, etc) doesn't help either.

That was fast - wasn't he just added in March? Amazing work from the DNA Doe Project!

Here is the photo of John Ingram Brandenburg, Jr shared by the Newton County, Indiana Coroner's Office.

Attachments

• johnbrandenburg-braddoe.jpg
    johnbrandenburg-braddoe.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 350
I'm starting my research on John and have a DOB - February 14, 1964. John was born in Jefferson County, KY. I'm presuming he disappeared from there too.
It seems he disappeared from Chicago, if I'm interpreting correctly from the DNA Doe Project's write up on John. This fits the pattern for Eyler too, who picked up many victims from the Chicago area and killed them in Indiana.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.24.59 PM.png
5802402fa83f1.image.jpg

RIP, John Ingram Brandenburg Jr.

I'm currently completely shocked, because I actually came across John Ingram Brandenburg Jr. on a family search thread last year, but didn't make the connection because some of the identifying features were listed differently. RIP.

Remains found in Indiana are identified as Chicago 1983 victim of serial killer Larry Eyler

SOPHIA TAREEN
April 26, 2021
0715ce20-a60c-11eb-bcba-073cca90db76

Serial killer Larry Eyler, pictured in 1982. (AP)

CHICAGO (AP) — Human remains found at a northwestern Indiana farm have been identified as a male Chicago victim of the late serial killer Larry Eyler, authorities announced Sunday.

The Newton County Coroner’s Office in Indiana identified the victim as John Ingram Brandenburg Jr. of Chicago. No age was given. He was among four “young men" found on an abandoned farm in rural Lake Village on October 18, 1983, according to the office.

Two others, Michael Bauer and John Bartlett, have already been identified, leaving one victim nameless, according to authorities.

Brandenburg, called “Johnny” by his mother, had been drugged and killed by Eyler, who confessed to at least 20 killings before dying in an Illinois prison in 1994. Eyler was on death row for the 1984 murder of Danny Bridges, a 15-year-old.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back