Found Safe IN - Lula Miller, 27, Laurel, 1 Nov 1974

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by OkieGranny, Dec 9, 2014.

1. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

[​IMG]

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lula-miller-could-exhumation-dna-solve-1974-missing-case/

http://www.pal-item.com/story/news/local/2014/12/08/missing-person-cold-case/20099913/

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23155/10/

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6716

2. The Whistler

The Whistler New Member

anything new?

3. MommaTish

MommaTish New Member

Bumping this one? What did the tests show? Did her daughters finally get closure?

4. alb1on

alb1on Active Member

As at August 11 2015 there were no dna results. This was reported at http://www.newsexaminer.com/articles/2015/08/11/local_news/doc55c90172d0005933058508.txt
    although it needs a subscription to go beyond the summary. I know that the original stories on the exhumation reported that it may be difficult to extract dna due to the condition of the remains.

I think that, even if they get dna and it is Lula's, the family will need more than the identification to get closure. This case stinks to high heaven, from the story of the rape the day before she disappeared (and the fact that the alleged rapists are still around) to the more recent murder of the brother, to the police failure to pursue the rape report in the 70s. Closure will only come with a much more extensive investigation led by LE from elsewhere.

5. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

They recovered DNA form Jesse James after he'd been in wet dirt for 113 years (his casket was essentially gone) and that was 20 years ago when DNA recovery wasn't as good as it is now.

According to the links, they have dental on both Lula and the unknown who was apparently putrified but not skeletonized.

6. cswatchdog

cswatchdog New Member

7. jobid

jobid Member

8. KayElJay

KayElJay Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wow! Pretty incredible outcome, considering the stories and circumstances surrounding her disappearance and the fact that they truly thought they had found her remains.

9. ElemenohP

ElemenohP New Member

http://fox59.com/2016/03/24/indiana-woman-missing-since-1974-found-living-in-texas-2/

This woman was reported missing in 1974, but had contact with her family a year later, which is the last time they heard from her. In 2014 the authorities compared Lula's daughter's DNA with a 1975 UID, but yielded no match. The detective for this case then started investigating some more and found out about Lula's current whereabouts: lived in Tennessee in the 1980's, and has lived in Texas since the 1990's. According to this article, Lula felt she was too young to be raising three children and so put them in the care of her parents and then disappeared. The daughter mentioned hopes to make contact with her mother this Easter weekend, and Lula allowed Detective Jarvis to forward her contact information to her daughter.

10. concernedmother

concernedmother Active Member

Just saw this and came to see if there was a WS thread.

11. Bishop

Bishop New Member

Same here.

12. SurfieTX

SurfieTX New Member

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-years-spent-hiding-family.html#ixzz441mBR1xI
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

13. MzOpinion8d

MzOpinion8d On Time Out

Now I want to know whose remains were found back in 1975!

14. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion Well-Known Member

From the link: "Detective Jarvis investigated the trail of a woman with similarities to Gillespie-Miller, who had lived in Tennessee in the 1980’s, then later in Texas."

I would love to find out what led Detective Jarvis to focus on this particular woman so far away from where she disappeared from. Very interesting and unusual!

15. Fairy1

Fairy1 VOTE!!!

16. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion Well-Known Member

17. heptgb

heptgb New Member

Even though, Det. Jarvis was led to a woman who was voluntarily missing this is still a SIGNIFICANT achievement. No matter what the personal reason for someone missing, it is still LEs responsibility to work on behalf of the missing person's family and on behalf of the community. Resolving Ms. Miller-Gillespie's case now allows LE and missing persons organizations to pivot their efforts elsewhere and to focus on other cases----which may lead to more recovered individuals and identified decedents.

This all started because Det. Jarvis wants to identify an unknown murder victim in Indiana. He had to eliminate Ms. Miller-Gillespie in order to know where/who to look at next in order to give this decedent back her name. I see it as being 1 step closer to giving the family of the murder victim some closer (while also providing Ms. Miller-Gillespie's family with some answers although surely unsatisfying). This is the kind of LE efforts that make me really proud.

Again, Det. Jarvis (if you're reading this), thank you! If my love one was missing, I would want someone to help me find answers no matter what those answers were. In fact, my own mother did abandon me and my 4 other siblings as children, I was raised by my father----I know she's alive and voluntarily left. I'm ok with that----but what would not be acceptable is if I had no answers.

18. concernedmother

concernedmother Active Member

Must be painful for the daughter feeling her mother again doesn't want her. She sounds like a very narcissistic woman. jmo.

19. JLSChook

JLSChook Fin's Pet

This woman is totally selfish and cruel. Period.

The kids sound like they were better off without her anyway.