GUILTY IN - Newton County, Fem, 30 Mar 2019 - Nicole Bowen

Family of WL woman murdered, dumped near Kentland digs in as judge warns of long case

On Wednesday, Molter agreed to delay assigning a trial date for Kirts, who has been charged with murder and is accused of strangling and killing Bowen at a trailer park near Kentland.

Kirts, dressed in an orange, Newton County Jail jumpsuit, did not speak during the 15-minute hearing, as his attorney, Codey Spear, and Deputy Prosecutor James Reed worked with the judge to set a November hearing to give both sides more time.

Kirts, dressed in an orange, Newton County Jail jumpsuit, did not speak during the 15-minute hearing, as his attorney, Codey Spear, and Deputy Prosecutor James Reed worked with the judge to set a November hearing to give both sides more time. That included the promise of additional DNA collected in the case, which Prosecutor Jeff Drinski has said could add more serious charges to one or more of the other four people accused for their roles in Bowen’s death or with stashing her body in a rural portion of Newton County.

Sounds like there’s more to GK’s story. I’m glad they are investigating further. I suspect more charges to be filed on one or more of the others involved.

Family of WL woman murdered, dumped near Kentland digs in as judge warns of long case

From same link.

"During the last week of June in Newton Superior Court, others tied to the case – each charged with assisting a criminal – were scheduled for trial on dates ranging from April to June 2020. They also had hearings scheduled in November, when the prosecutor expected to have DNA results."

So April - November is 7 months. I guess that is how long DNA is taking to come back as a match. Good to know. MOO

Still not finding this "new" case for Kirts - at least it is not in the Indiana Court site. I know they others are due on 11/22, and wondering if Kirts is on the same date?

Anyone know? TIA! :)

edited to add - oh now I remember - they are in a different system....

Still not finding this "new" case for Kirts - at least it is not in the Indiana Court site. I know they others are due on 11/22, and wondering if Kirts is on the same date?

I am not sure a date has been agreed yet. This is what the article said.

"Kirts, dressed in an orange, Newton County Jail jumpsuit, did not speak during the 15-minute hearing, as his attorney, Codey Spear, and Deputy Prosecutor James Reed worked with the judge to set a November hearing to give both sides more time."

They are hoping to have DNA back by November which could add charges on the others.

A new court date hasn't been listed for GK on Doxpop yet.

Thank you tresir & Tippy Lynn - I guess I'm impatient! :D

Just "tag" if you one of you finds one. I would think they ALL would be there on one date - 11/22 - but than again Kirts is the only one (so far) charged with the murder.

I wondered about how Nicole and Kirts got to Kentland for the alleged fight. Did they drive over in Nicole's car? What happened to her car if they did?

I wondered about how Nicole and Kirts got to Kentland for the alleged fight. Did they drive over in Nicole's car? What happened to her car if they did?

GK drove NB to the trailer. I’m not sure who’s car he was driving.

After a signed Miranda Warnings waiver, Kirts told police that his current girlfriend Ashley Garth (26 of Delphi, has been charged with assisting a criminal in connection to Bowen’s death) had problems with Bowen. Kirts went on to say that Garth was already at the trailer (lot 20) and he was driving Bowen there so they could hash it out or fight it out.

Planned fight at Kentland Trailer Court led to Nicole Bowen's death

GK drove NB to the trailer. I’m not sure who’s car he was driving.

After a signed Miranda Warnings waiver, Kirts told police that his current girlfriend Ashley Garth (26 of Delphi, has been charged with assisting a criminal in connection to Bowen’s death) had problems with Bowen. Kirts went on to say that Garth was already at the trailer (lot 20) and he was driving Bowen there so they could hash it out or fight it out.

Planned fight at Kentland Trailer Court led to Nicole Bowen's death
Now according to MyCase, Kirts had a prior arrest in Jan. 2019 and a restraining order against him. I wonder who the victim of that strangulation was, NB or AG? He had dated NB, but was now with AG at the time of NB's murder. I have to wonder if there wasn't something more to this than just a "fight gone bad." My understanding is there were some prior threats toward NB. Did NB know something about someone that she could go to LE with. Not saying GK was responsible for other murders, although who knows, but knowledge of another murder and who may have been involved? Just speculation.

Now according to MyCase, Kirts had a prior arrest in Jan. 2019 and a restraining order against him. I wonder who the victim of that strangulation was, NB or AG? He had dated NB, but was now with AG at the time of NB's murder. I have to wonder if there wasn't something more to this than just a "fight gone bad." My understanding is there were some prior threats toward NB. Did NB know something about someone that she could go to LE with. Not saying GK was responsible for other murders, although who knows, but knowledge of another murder and who may have been involved? Just speculation.

I've speculated the same as you have. There's seems to be more to the story.....

hmm i didn't know NB dated that guy previously.

they could have killed her for simply knowing someone in the group sold drugs.

Just checking AG's offences, and this CaCo driving charge has been dismissed.

Case Summary
State of Indiana v. ASHLEY N GARTH
Case Number 08D01-1901-IF-000055
Court Carroll Superior Court
Type IF - Infraction
Filed 01/28/2019
Status 04/18/2019 , Decided
Appear By 02/21/2019
Parties to the Case
Hide all party details
Defendant GARTH, ASHLEY N
Description
Female, White, 5' 2", 145 lbs.
Address

4063 N 1150 W
DELPHI, IN 46923
State Plaintiff State of Indiana
Attorney

Jerry Joe Bean
101 W Main ST
STE 205
Delphi, IN 46923
Charges
Show all charge details
01 01/22/2019 9-24-19-1/IFA: Driving While Suspended
Chronological Case Summary
01/28/2019
Case Opened as a New Filing
01/28/2019
Traffic Citation Filed
Filed By:
State of Indiana
File Stamp:
01/28/2019
01/28/2019
Hearing Scheduling Activity
Initial Hearing scheduled for 02/21/2019 at 4:00 PM.

02/21/2019
Initial Hearing
Session:
02/21/2019 4:00 PM, Judicial Officer: Fouts, Kurtis
Result:
Commenced and recessed
02/21/2019
Failure to Appear
Defendant fails to appear. Notice to appear sent for May 23, 2019 at 4:00 pm. C: Deft
Judicial Officer:
Fouts, Kurtis
Party:
GARTH, ASHLEY N
File Stamp:
02/21/2019
03/04/2019
Initial Hearing scheduled for 05/23/2019 at 4:00 PM.
04/17/2019
Motion to Dismiss Filed
Motion to dismiss
Filed By:
State of Indiana
File Stamp:
04/17/2019
04/18/2019
1) ? 'Click to expand list of documents' : (event.EventDocuments[0].Ext + ':' + event.EventDocuments[0].Name) }" title="PDF:Garth--prop ord.pdf" style="box-sizing: border-box; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(44, 145, 173); outline: none;"> 1), 'document': (event.$DocCount == 1) }" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: block; width: 18px; height: 18px; background-image: url("../images/icons_18x18.png"); background-position: -54px 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; outline: none; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 0px; line-height: 0; font-family: a; color: transparent; text-shadow: none; background-color: transparent; border: 0px;">
1) ? 'Click to expand list of documents' : (event.EventDocuments[0].Ext + ':' + event.EventDocuments[0].Name) }" title="PDF:Garth--prop ord.pdf" style="box-sizing: border-box; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(44, 145, 173); outline: none;">Order Granting Motion to Dismiss
Judicial Officer:
Fouts, Kurtis
Noticed:
Bean, Jerry Joe
Order Signed:
04/18/2019
04/18/2019
Initial Hearing scheduled for 05/23/2019 at 4:00 PM was cancelled. Reason: Dismissal / Judgment.

04/18/2019
Judgment
Judicial Officer:
Fouts, Kurtis
01. 9-24-19-1/IFA: Driving While Suspended
• Dismissed Without Prejudice
04/19/2019
Automated ENotice Issued to Parties
Order Granting Motion to Dismiss ---- 4/18/2019 : Jerry Joe Bean

05/23/2019
CANCELED Initial Hearing
Reason:
Dismissal / Judgment
Session:
05/23/2019 4:00 PM, Cancelled
This is not the official court record. Official records of court proceedings may only be obtained directly from the court maintaining a particular record.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back