In Rememberance . . . Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Jeana (DP), Dec 7, 2005.

1. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

Survivors, sailors to observe Pearl Harbor anniversary

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - Survivors of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor will join sailors, community leaders and guests on Wednesday for the 64th anniversary of the assault.

The crowd will observe a moment of silence Wednesday morning at the moment the attack began in 1941.

A U.S. Navy ship will honor the USS Arizona, which lies submerged in Pearl Harbor with the bodies of hundreds of sailors still aboard. The Hawaii Air National Guard will fly F-15s in formation over the harbor.

The Navy's chief uniformed officer, Adm. Michael G. Mullen, is scheduled to address the crowd along with Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, D-Hawaii, who saw and heard Japanese planes drop bombs on Oahu as a teenager in Honolulu.

Navy reservists from the USS Ward, which fired the first shots of the war when its crew spotted and sank a Japanese midget submarine, will also be honored.

The Dec. 7, 1941, surprise attack on Pearl Harbor and other military bases on Oahu lasted two hours, leaving 21 U.S. ships heavily damaged and 323 aircraft damaged or destroyed.

It killed 2,390 people and wounded 1,178.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. MrsMush99

MrsMush99 Former Member

Hubby is a history teacher. He took the movie to school to show his kids. He only shows them the attack scene though.

4. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

Today is my Dad's Birthday and he remembers being 15 years old in Glasgow, Scotland when the news came about the attack on the American ships. It is what made him sign up for the military when he was old enough.

[​IMG]

5. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

Wow Cassie. I never knew that in all this time!

I was in Hawaii to attend a trial a few years back and we took the time to go to the Arizona Memorial. It will stay with me forever. Very very real and very very heartbreaking.

6. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

My girlfriend SuAnne and I are planning a Hawaian cruise for 2007, the Arizona memorial will be a highlight, thats for sure.

7. Mabel

Mabel Former Member

Today is also my son's birthday. Somehow it seems appropriate.

8. Rocky

Rocky Former Member

today we had a survivor of the Arizona come in and buy a car, he had been driving a Lexus for years, and said he felt guilty every time he went out and turned it on.

He drove the Buick Lucerne and smiled, and said "these are better than any D_mn car the japs make..."

He drove off beaming to head for a memorial celebration...

9. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

Happy birthday to Mabel Jr. :woohoo:

10. lynie

lynie New Member

My family and I were at Pearl Harbor last month. It was truely an honor (is that what I mean?) to be able to take the kids (teens) there and impress upon them the real implications of war.

It is very sobering to be present at a "battlefield". While many have served our country, a very small percentage of us have actually been to a place where so many were lost.