IN IN - Renee Bruhl, Patricia Blough & Ann Miller, Indiana Dunes SP, 2 July 1966

Thanks for the interesting, first-hand account that you provided and hope the contents of the six-pack didn't get too disturbed from being "delivered" through the waters of Lake Michigan.

From that and another post that indicated one of the life guards is supposed to have had a short verbal contact with one of the women after she was on the boat, perhaps little, if any, attention was paid to boats who pulled in close to the swimming area there. I just thought for the safety and security of both swimmers and boaters that might have been prohibited and watched more carefully.

I, too, wish Robb might resume posting here again. Obviously, even these many years later, this can still be a difficult subject for him. However since he did it previously, maybe he will again. Certainly what he did provide about this matter was very interesting and shed light on his sister's thoughts and feelings around the time of her disappearance.

As it was 49 years ago today that the three women were last seen, I'm moving this story back to the top.

Some interesting insights have been provided here as to what may have happened to them including that of the brother of one of the missing women.

Just interested in further thoughts - either new or previously discussed - on this case.

I think this is one that will only be solved with either a death bed confession by a killer or someone who paid to have one or all of them killed or one or all of the women show back up having run away for who knows what reason.

Or how about this for a way out theory. It was one of the girls who was hired to help kill one of the other girls and the third one was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or someone wanted both of them dead.

Third girl may have then been killed to be kept quiet or disappeared to a new life.

It would be a lot easier to get the girls to go on a boat or leave their stuff if it's their friend asking them to do something.

The last post presents an interesting possibility that has never been mentioned or considered before as far as I know. Almost all of the thoughts in this case have made it the three women being confronted by one or more male predators probably aboard the boat. One question that does come up is why have no bodies ever been discovered either on or near the lake or elsewhere in the days, weeks and years since the disappearance took place.

You hear and read of one or two people going missing, but this is three young women and it all starting at a beach basically in front of what was hundreds of people with no traces of them ever found.

I have a question for the group - does anyone know why this unidentified Jane DOE was tested for Patricia Bluth but not Ann Miller??

The Jane Doe has a lot in common with Ann Miller. Both are 5'2, Miller was in a blue swimsuit with a red belt, Jane was found in blue bottoms and a red ribbon, reports of Ann said she was 3 months pregnant and this Jane was 3 Mos pregnant. The only difference is the eye color, but perhaps there was a mistake when the Jane was input.

The body could have been kept on ice or something, then dumped in Delaware. Idk I'm just thinking out loud, but I don't understand why Bluth was ruled out and Miller was not.

Thoughts?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7097

Relating to this case, a week from Tuesday is the 50th anniversary of the car bomb murder of Cheryl Rude. One theory is that Blough and Miller were targets because they may have witnessed the bomb being planted at George Jayne's stable where the two women boarded their horses.

Anything new on this case?

Sure.. From what I've read, it looks like two of the girls became pregnant possibly by married men from a bar where they hung out at.

The most logical theory I've read here is: the women came to the beech that day, and boarded a small speed boat to be taken to a hidden house boat that was actually a floating abortion clinic that operated on Lake Michigan.

According to the theory, something went wrong during the abortions of one of the women. The abortionist, that was said to be a husband/wife team, could not aford witness's so they did something to the three women so they wouldn't be caught.

Leaving us with the few questions as to what.

But it does explain to us: the things that Patty's brother told us about her being beaten up, the missing cash she was saving, and the secret she was keeping, along with telling him to take care of her horse if something happened to her.

Very sad story.

My condolences to all relatives of these three victims.

I can imagine them being taken one at a time in the fashion Ted Bundy used at Lake Sammamish.

Lol.. I don't know Stan. I hope not.

Here is a really good 10 page read from this guy that been investigating this case for like 50-years, and I think he really did a good job. He has mugshots and other pics with his story.

https://www.k9mni.org/httpdocs/Items of Interest/Dick Wylie/Chapter 26.pdf

Very good article. However, I can't help but believe if they had got in the boat to be transported to a location for an abortion, they would have taken their purses and personal effects with them. The chances of them getting in a boat for what they believed to be a 15-20 or so minute cruise around the lake are much better.

Maybe only two of them got in the boat, and one stayed behind.

Very believable scenario, just the belongings being left tho..

Don't see a lady leaving her purse and/or personal belongings behind - not in 1966 or 2016.

Well, not very many people would bring their purse or wallet onto to a beech, leave on a blanket, and go for a swim.

People do whatever for what ever, and there is not always a rhyme or reason. Sometimes when people have bigger things on their minds, the littler things get lost in the shadows.

Maybe they asked someone to watch their belongings for 20min?

In investigating this, authorities reportedly interviewed many of the people who were there on that day - which included obtaining home movies taken by one of them. I don't recall any reports from someone who said they were asked to watch the women's belongings. I tend to think if that if someone had been requested to watch them, they would have come forward after learning what had taken place.

My DH and I were just at the IDSP over the weekend and I couldn't help but think of these women. I was looking at a trail map and there are some desolate places in that park. Also the possibility that they boarded a boat and were taken away against their will is very strong.

About leaving personal belongings, When I was a teen-ager, many years ago, my friends and I would leave our purses locked in the trunk of the car and just take our towels and keys which we would hide in our shoes. We knew that would be an easy place to find them but it made us feel better anyways. I feel that these women thought they would be gone for just a few minutes or they would not have left their purses.

Based on the report that home movies obtained by authorities show what appear to be the three women aboard a boat, it seems that is how they were taken from the beach area. The questions then arise: under what pretense did they board the boat? who invited them? and were any of the people known to one of more of the women beforehand? Another question is what was the destination of the boat (far out into Lake Michigan? meeting up with another boat or boats or even to a nearby location where they returned to shore and got into cars?)?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back