IN - Shanda Sharer, 12, Madison, 11 January 1992

I only heard of this case today. So two others are just out living their lives already!? Insanity. I assume they changed their names and stuff. So unfair.

Melinda Loveless, 44, was one of the four women convicted in the 1992 attack of 12-year-old Shanda Sharer. Loveless was 17 at the time of murder.

Investigators said Sharer was kidnapped, raped, beaten with a tire iron then burned alive. Her body was discovered on the side of the road in Madison, Indiana.

Officials say Loveless was the one who facilitated the murder.

Loveless was sentenced to 60 years in prison.

The three other women who were involved have also been released from prison. Hope Rippey was released in 2006, after serving 14 years, Toni Lawrence was sentenced to 20 years but was released in 2000 and Laurie Tackett was released in 2018.
Mastermind behind brutal murder of Indiana girl in 1992 released from prison

Melinda Loveless, 44, was one of the four women convicted in the 1992 attack of 12-year-old Shanda Sharer. Loveless was 17 at the time of murder.

Investigators said Sharer was kidnapped, raped, beaten with a tire iron then burned alive. Her body was discovered on the side of the road in Madison, Indiana.

Officials say Loveless was the one who facilitated the murder.

Loveless was sentenced to 60 years in prison.

The three other women who were involved have also been released from prison. Hope Rippey was released in 2006, after serving 14 years, Toni Lawrence was sentenced to 20 years but was released in 2000 and Laurie Tackett was released in 2018.
Mastermind behind brutal murder of Indiana girl in 1992 released from prison

I'm so mad for Shanda. I don't care how long ago this was, this girl deserves to rot

Sorry for the bump but the justice system has failed Shanda Sharer, i can't believe all 4 are now out.

I hadn't read about this case for about 8 years but something reminded me of Shanda and i looked it up to see if Laurie and Melinda are still in jail only to discover both are out.

(So messed up and scary to think those two are out after reading what they did to Shanda that night/morning)

Hope got let off even more lightly, Toni should have done more time inside than what she did but deserved less time than the others ( i wish she would have gotten help for Shanda though) but either way Hope, Laurie and Melinda should still be in jail for another 30 years at least.

I honesty wish i hadn't looked up this case again, always creeps me out and i can't shake it for weeks, Feel so sorry for Shanda and her family.

R.I.P Shanda and her father, sorry justice wasn't truly done.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back