IN - Shanda Sharer, 12, Madison, 11 January 1992

I read the book about the case. And also don't understand your outrage. The whole thing happened around the jealousy stemming from lesbian relationships. :confused:
--If that's the book by true crime author Aphrodite Jones, I remember it very well

Thank you for the link, ISPTRAX.

I think that unhealthy jealousy and rivalry often exists between adolescent girls regardless of sexual orientation. And I don't think it's right to identify a child with a sexual label, gay or straight or whatever.

I think you are probably bothered by mostly the fact that they state she was a lesbian. Now I have thought about this in reading this case as well? How did a 12 year old come to the conclusion she was a lesbian? Was she really or was the other girl just infatuated with her and she didn't give feelings back?

She claimed in the article linked that she was dating the other girls girlfiend. Therefore it was not a conclusion the write jumped to, rather an admission the killers took at face value

She claimed in the article linked that she was dating the other girls girlfiend. Therefore it was not a conclusion the write jumped to, rather an admission the killers took at face value

Shanda herself said that?

I think you are probably bothered by mostly the fact that they state she was a lesbian. Now I have thought about this in reading this case as well? How did a 12 year old come to the conclusion she was a lesbian? Was she really or was the other girl just infatuated with her and she didn't give feelings back?

I think it is most likely that Shanda had a crush on another girl...many girls do when they are that age. It doesn't mean that she was a lesbian. It's inaccurate to use the same labels that we use for adult relationships for relationships between children.

I guess I just feel that it is wrong to sexualize a child in any way. Especially when using those labels may somehow imply or insinuate that that child's behavior led to her own death.

I think it is most likely that Shanda had a crush on another girl...many girls do when they are that age. It doesn't mean that she was a lesbian. It's inaccurate to use the same labels that we use for adult relationships for relationships between children.

I guess I just feel that it is wrong to sexualize a child in any way. Especially when using those labels may somehow imply or insinuate that that child's behavior led to her own death.

You ought to read the book. It's really very fascinating (and sad). These "kids" were pretty messed up and had relationships with both guys and girls which you really shouldn't be doing EITHER at their age. Pretty rough. Shanda's story of her torture and what they did is just horrible.

It's beyong horrible :( I see where y'all are coming from too. It just really strikes me as wrong to use the word "lesbianism" when describing the murder of a kid.

It's beyong horrible :( I see where y'all are coming from too. It just really strikes me as wrong to use the word "lesbianism" when describing the murder of a kid.

Not to dwell on this (but we all do this on websleuths :crazy: ). There's one part of the book where they had hit Shanda in the head multiple times in the head with a tire iron and stuffed her in the car trunk to take her out and dispose of her, thinking she was dead. When they opened the trunk, she slowly raised up with the bludgeoned areas of her head showing, her eyes rolled back, gurgling and murmuring "Mommy"... I will always be haunted by how awful that had to be.

Not to dwell on this (but we all do this on websleuths :crazy: ). There's one part of the book where they had hit Shanda in the head multiple times in the head with a tire iron and stuffed her in the car trunk to take her out and dispose of her, thinking she was dead. When they opened the trunk, she slowly raised up with the bludgeoned areas of her head showing, her eyes rolled back, gurgling and murmuring "Mommy"... I will always be haunted by how awful that had to be.

That "mommy" really pierces my heart too. Those evil see-you-next-tuesdays.

Shanda herself said that?

Yes, in letters she wrote to the girlfriend. She states it perfectly clear. Please read the book. It isn't really odd for a 12 year old who knows they are gay to openly admit it. It may not be popular but that is the age where hormones kick in. I believe the poor girl was just experimenting but since it was related to her death everyone is screaming LESBIAN TEENS!
ugh.
jealousy is jealousy regardless of sexual preferences.

When I read the book, I felt so sorry for all the girls involved. The book makes the victim out badly (in my opinion only!!! No flamers please) and I really had to struggle at not have sympathy for the killers. They were very young girls who grew up during the early 90's (like myself) and who were living a lifestyle that wasn't accepted (like myself at the time). There is many many reason as to why I indentify with these girls but killing someone sooooo brutally is unforgivable.

She was beaten, tortured, sodomized with a wrench and burned her alive.

The ring leader in this murder was severely abused by her father. Sexually abused. I hate when people use abuse as an excuse but it does need mentioning.

How about this: It does not matter the circumstances regarding Shanda death, you could easily replace the situation with a boy at the center of this murder. I guess what makes the story a story, is the age of the offenders, how young Shanda was and the horrible way she died.

The circumstances that there may have been lesbian activity is what is the "catch' for the story. It is the hook. That is one of the reasons why the book focuses on this fact. Girl's killing girls, over relationships with other girls. That is not common. Usually situations like this involve members of the opposite sex.

Shanda was 12 and murdered. Lesbian or not. That is the fact of this whole situation. You could not relate the story in a factual manner is the facts are not accurate.

I guess you are both right. Authors have to make a buck too. If the hook is splashing around LESBIAN TEENS! as a headline..so be it.

What does domination have to do with the murder? When I saw the story title on crime library I thought domination as in the sexual fetish and was not interested in even reading. Not reading or knowing more about it, I just wonder if the twelve year old may have been sexually manipulated and acted out on for several years before the murder. That's so young to be getting involved in that way with both boys and girls with obvious horrible problems. Seems like there would be more to it than just a girl deciding that she is bisexual.

Hi absinthe,

Here is a recent thread about the potential parole of one of the girls involved in Shanda's murder. http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39051&highlight=shanda+sharer

I agree that it is sensationalistic to flout the lesbian and domination aspects of the case, but also agree that this is often how true crime books are marketed - by putting out the must lurid details to draw in a readership. It does not bother me as much as it bothers you, though I surely see your point.

While we may not want to sexualize children, Shanda and the other girls involved in this tragedy had a sexual connection, however youthful. The romantic(and I guess it's lesbian romantic since just girls were involved in it, though I also agree that lesbianism is a fairly funny word) triangle is at the heart of the horror.

I don't think every girl this age really knows the full and final extent of her sexual persuasion. But I don't mind calling a spade a spade - when two girls of whatever age are romatically involved, that's a lesbian situation.

I'm always glad to see you here and congrats on your first thread!

Any news on the judges decision? Wasn't it supposed to come down after the first of the year??

They all need to stay locked up if you ask me. They were 15, 16 years at the time and tortured and killed a 12 year old over a lesbian affair? What the h#ll were they doing fooling around with 12 year olds to begin with? Couldn't they find anyone their own ages? They need to do their full sentences. If they are truly repentant than the least they can do is serve out the rest of their time on their 15 acre dorm style grounds. I'm thinking the only reason they didn't get life is since they were minors at the time. Due to the seriousness of the crime, they should have got life anyway, especially Loveless and Tackett.

I have zero sympathy for Shanda's killers. I don't care what their abusive backgrounds were. What they did to that child was beyond evil.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back