GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

Nothing says crazy narcissist like being your own lawyer!

Good luck with that.

Also some of her behaviors remind me of the two moms that drove themselves and adopted kids off the cliff into the ocean ( in Oregon?)
Ted Bundy did it. He was quite full of himself too. It didn't work out for him. He got fried.

I’ve been following this case with a heavy heart. My questions are “where was the brother” that he could not care for his own children? Where was AC’s parents?
If it’s already been answered I apologize (I’m new).
The brother and the mother(s?) of his children have some issues too, I don't know if we're allowed to get too much into it.

I’ve been following this case with a heavy heart. My questions are “where was the brother” that he could not care for his own children? Where was AC’s parents?
If it’s already been answered I apologize (I’m new).

Good questions! There are still a lot of questions, and we may never figure out or find out the answers, but they need to be asked, that's for sure.

Welcome to Websleuths,
Msshirl !!

This case is hitting me hard because AC reminds me so much of my “mother” who was also a narcissistic child abuser...seeing how sad Skylea looks in the pics I’ve seen reminded me of myself when I look at childhood pics
My heart is broken for all the defenceless kids having to live and die in these circumstances

I have 4 kids, 2 with autism/adhd, my house is chaos most of the time because I also have ptsd, depression and anxiety from my childhood...but I would NEVER harm a hair on my kids heads, I will never understand how some people can and do :(

RIP Skylea

I can't find anything to say that won't land me in WS jail, I regret to report; but if I could, it goes something like "Oh, boo hoo hoo, you psychotic blankety-blank!" Seriously???

Should've just kept her mouth shut, as I assure her/the press, no one cares!!!

ETA: Oh, forgot to mention: I couldn't have been happier to see that she's determined to defend herself.

Could. Not. Be. Happier.
Yes, to the bolded. Me too.

I hope she tells the jury that she was angry because that awful 10 yr old stole a packet of hot cocoa and lied about it. AND she took her stepsister's charm bracelet and took the charms off. I am sure the jury will be understanding....:rolleyes:

Indiana woman accused of murdering stepdaughter, 10, hiding body in trash bag wants to represent self in court

Sept 10, 2019

"The Indiana stepmom charged with strangling her 10-year-old stepdaughter to death and hiding her body in a trash bag has waived her right to an attorney, reportedly telling a judge Monday she “doesn’t need a lawyer.”

Amanda Carmack’s decision to represent herself in court comes after her arrest Wednesday on charges of murder, neglect of a dependent resulting in death, domestic battery resulting in death and strangulation in the death of Skylea Carmack.

The 34-year-old made her first court appearance Monday for an initial hearing, FOX59 Indianapolis reported. A judge appointed standby counsel in case Carmack changes her mind....

Prosecutors have said they intend to seek a sentence of life in prison without parole.

Carmack was being held at the Grant County Jail without bond."

Indiana woman accused of murdering stepdaughter, 10, hiding body in trash bag wants to represent self in court

Hmmmm. How can they let her go pro se, but how can they deny a defendant's request to do so? If it's allowed, she will probably get to visit the prison law library, have her own phone or access to one, and have an attorney handy for advice and research, etc.
This is worrisome, appeal-wise, IMO.

Last edited:
No surprise to me about her siblings. Sounds like she may have been very close to those activities...
And yes, those poor children. I am very thankful that I did not have to start my life in the midst of such as that. Bless them all and hopes for their lives changing for the better as soon as possible. SMH.

Sept 10, 2019

"The Indiana stepmom charged with strangling her 10-year-old stepdaughter to death and hiding her body in a trash bag has waived her right to an attorney, reportedly telling a judge Monday she “doesn’t need a lawyer.”

Amanda Carmack’s decision to represent herself in court comes after her arrest Wednesday on charges of murder, neglect of a dependent resulting in death, domestic battery resulting in death and strangulation in the death of Skylea Carmack.

The 34-year-old made her first court appearance Monday for an initial hearing, FOX59 Indianapolis reported. A judge appointed standby counsel in case Carmack changes her mind....

Prosecutors have said they intend to seek a sentence of life in prison without parole.

Carmack was being held at the Grant County Jail without bond."

Interesting but not really surprising. Once again she will be the center of attention and I can hear and see it now.

It'll be "woe is me" all over the place, "look what I'm doing", "aren't I wonderful?, blah blah blah." At least she won't have social media available this time around, to tell the world what a great person she is.

She is quite the piece of work that's for sure.

Ted Bundy, at the very least, had an education and some legal background. This woman has no business defending herself. She is NOT going to come across well to a jury at all, but then again, she doesn't see herself as we see her.

Good Lord.

Hmmmm. How can they let her go pro se, but how can they deny a defendant's request to do so? If it's allowed, she will probably get to visit the prison law library, have her own phone or access to one, and have an attorney handy for advice and research, etc.
This is worrisome, appeal-wise, IMO.

bbm I’m not quite sure I understand born.....since she opted to act as her own counsel, she seriously can’t use that as a reason for appeal, can she?

ETA Lord please help me here - I’m trying really hard not to hate this woman but it’s a losing battle so far. She is so evil.

bbm I’m not quite sure I understand born.....since she opted to act as her own counsel, she seriously can’t use that as a reason for appeal, can she?

ETA Lord please help me here - I’m trying really hard not to hate this woman but it’s a losing battle so far. She is so evil.
The judge appointed a lawyer to support and assist her in points of law but not to represent her by organizing her case and questioning witnesses. That is how I understand it.

If person charged refuses council,could that be grounds for appeal ? Doesn't make sense, court cannot force council on someone . That's a good question !

She has a lawyer appointed to help her -- but who knoze whether she will use him or her. I do remember reading a MSM about an appeal in Georgia, IIRC, where a defendant went pro se with an appointed atty, lost, and did appeal. Dunno the outcome, but the appeal was allowed. It's been a while, and I don't remember names, to google it. Still racking my brain...:confused:
And yes, that woman is max evil. Grrrrrr.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back