GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

Gas City woman charged with strangling stepdaughter to undergo competency evaluation (with clip)

Oct 9, 2019

"GRANT COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) — A judge in the case of a Gas City woman accused of killing her stepdaughter has appointed two doctors to evaluate her mental competency.

Amanda D. Carmack faces charges of Murder, Neglect of a Dependent Resulting in Death, Domestic Battery Resulting in Death to a Person Under 14, and Strangulation after police found 10-year-old Skylea Carmack’s body in a shed last month....
Carmack filed a notice last month to use mental disease or defect as a defense.

On Wednesday then, a Grant Circuit Court judge granted a motion for a competency evaluation, and ordered appointed doctors for the evaluation.

Carmack has a jury trial scheduled for February 2020 in Grant Circuit Court.

Prosecutors intend to seek life in prison without parole.'

Gas City woman charged with strangling stepdaughter to undergo competency evaluation

I would imagine the interviews with CPS were pretty telling.

After doing more digging step mom had 3 bio children. 2 girls and the youngest boy. Not sure where the girls' father is but the boy's dad is deceased as of Aug last year. He was approx. 35 and cause of death is unknown.

Skylea was the daughter of Kevin Carmack and Staycee.

The other 3 children in the home were step mom's brother's children. Both of them have issues with drugs and are in and out of jail frequently.

So not only was Skylea the only "lone wolf" without a pack in her corner, she was the only child not blood related to Amanda aka the stepmother.

That family sure was not the Brady Bunch, were they?

I would imagine the interviews with CPS were pretty telling.

After doing more digging step mom had 3 bio children. 2 girls and the youngest boy. Not sure where the girls' father is but the boy's dad is deceased as of Aug last year. He was approx. 35 and cause of death is unknown.

Skylea was the daughter of Kevin Carmack and Staycee.

The other 3 children in the home were step mom's brother's children. Both of them have issues with drugs and are in and out of jail frequently.

So not only was Skylea the only "lone wolf" without a pack in her corner, she was the only child not blood related to Amanda aka the stepmother.
Oh WOW....sounds like the situation with Roman, age 11, just found dead in his backyard, in Placerville, Ca. Looks like the killer may have been very close to home.

And there were 8 kids in the home, and he was the only one not blood related or adopted by the stepmother. The oldest 4 were her bio sons and the youngest 3 were very young sisters she was adopting. Poor Roman was the bison of the husband, who worked out of town most of the time...leaving Roman a lone wolf cub.

Roman, Skylea......these poor kids were left to fend for themselves against step parents who apparently weren’t emotionally invested in them. What a lonely, crappy situation for innocent kids. I can’t imagine the turmoil their short lives were. They aren’t to blame for being brought into this world by the bio-parents, and face horrific treatment just because the stepparent holds animosity toward them. It’s so hard to read about these sweet, innocent children’s lives but sometimes I just have to in order to honor their short existence on earth. IMO

Incredibly there really are Brothers Grimm tier wicked stepmothers in the world. I know a woman who's boyfriend "accidentally" killed her son and she's still with him like yen years later now. Unbelievable what some people go through in their lives and the lives some other people don't ever get to go through. That photo they use of Skylea really makes her look creative, full of life and potential.

Carmack's attorney requests change of venue

Payne filed a memo with the court on Feb. 17 stating he became aware of a Change.org petition asking Grant County Prosecutor Rodney Faulk to seek the death penalty rather than life without the possibility of parole in the case. As of Wednesday afternoon, more than 3,100 people have signed the online petition with a stated goal of 5,000 signatures.

“...I had no idea the public reaction locally had reached this level,” Payne stated in the Feb. 17 memo. “It may be that getting a fair trial locally will be impossible.”

Payne states while his request for a venue change comes after the 30-day limit to do so, Carmack’s defense was not made aware of the petition until Feb. 17 which changed their view of whether a fair trial in Grant County was possible.

The March 10 memo argues a complete change of venue is preferable to transporting out-of-county jurors to Grant County for the trial.

In my opinion, negligent caretakers often push to have children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders as a justification for zombifying them with Zoloft or other medications.

I am usually loathe to make this point publicly as our current eagerly virtue signalling political climate is quick to push back hard against this claim but in cases like this I can't help but bring up the real possibility

In my opinion, negligent caretakers often push to have children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders as a justification for zombifying them with Zoloft or other medications.

I am usually loathe to make this point publicly as our current eagerly virtue signalling political climate is quick to push back hard against this claim but in cases like this I can't help but bring up the real possibility

Agree, agree.

(Also caretakers who are interested in controlling any disability income. It's out there, folks.)

Humble opinion plus professional opinion.

RIP, Skylea, peace & comfort to your sibs & loved one.

upload_2020-3-13_8-55-53.jpeg

Prosecution requests Carmack's change of venue request be denied

In a March 19 objection and response to the change of venue motion, Grant County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Scott J. Hunt said Indiana law
states any request for a change of venue should be filed within 30 days of the initial hearing. Since Carmack’s request came 153 days past the deadline,
Hunt argued the request should be denied.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back