GUILTY IN - Three Children Killed at School Bus Stop, Fulton County, Rochester, 30 Oct 2018 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Richrd, Oct 30, 2018.

1. osu

osu Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there will be media coverage via camera in the courtroom? I’ve looked but couldn’t find it mentioned in any article. TIA

2. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

osu, Kubirai, LadyL and 1 other person like this.
  3. Alleykins

Trial updates:
    (snp'd for copyright)
    (BBM for focus)
    WEDNESDAY UPDATES: Alyssa Shepherd Trial - News Now Warsaw

Kubirai, LadyL and Gardenista like this.
  4. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

IceIce9 and Alleykins like this.
  5. Alleykins

Court adjourned for the day, here is a link to afternoon updates. (BBM)

WEDNESDAY UPDATES: Alyssa Shepherd Trial - News Now Warsaw

Kubirai and Gardenista like this.
  6. Alleykins

You know what else I think might be bad? She called her friend, who is a 911 dispatcher, and explained to her what happened. Her friend, working in the LE field, could have coached her as to what to to say and what not to say. I also wonder if her sibling, whose age I don't know, is going to testify as well. He was in the truck, too, along with her small children.It will be a travesty of justice if he is not called by the prosecution, unless he is too young.

Kubirai, IceIce9 and Gardenista like this.
  7. Gardenista

Good points. If the 911 dispatcher is called to the stand, I wonder if what they talked about will be heresay.

8. Alleykins

I think it would be hearsay, but I'm not a legal expert.

Gardenista likes this.
  9. Alleykins

Here's all I could find today so far, snp'd:
    The only pre-trial motion I'm aware of is a gag order. Not saying there weren't others, but that's the one I read about.
    THURSDAY UPDATES: Alyssa Shepherd Trial - News Now Warsaw

Gardenista likes this.
  10. Alleykins

More updates:
    Day 3 of Fulton County bus crash trial features taped interview from pickup truck driver

Another link.
    Jury sees recorded interview with driver in the moments after she allegedly struck, killed three kids

According to another article I read, AS was going to testify, but I haven't heard anything about her giving a testimony yet.

Kubirai, Gardenista and LadyL like this.
  11. Mandos

Mandos Active Member

Could be nervous laughter (Why Clients Smile When Talking About Trauma - Part 1). It's not uncommon to see people react to extremely traumatic events in ways that might seem strange or even (wildly) inappropriate to bystanders. I remember once seeing an clip of a woman sitting in a completely demolished car after a car crash, casually putting on her make-up while the mutilated body of her husband was right next to her.

Gardenista and LadyL like this.
  12. Alleykins

I think the first article states in fairness, they didn't know her state of mind (paraphrased).
    All they were doing was describing the video of her interview and what they saw. I wasn't able to find the video, so I'm wondering if that wasn't released as one of the pretrial motions or part of the gag order. Or it could be out there, and I just haven't found it. Cameras aren't allowed in the courtroom so the media couldn't record it for their broadcasts.

Gardenista likes this.
  13. Alleykins

Friday trial update link:
    FRIDAY UPDATES: Alyssa Shepherd Trial - News Now Warsaw

The 911 dispatcher friend did testify.

I hope there were more questions asked of AS than what was reported, because the line of questioning reported appears weak. I hope they asked her what she was doing in the moments preceding, how much sleep had she gotten, those kinds of things.

I still believe she either fell asleep at the wheel, or had a micro-sleep. If you've never had a micro-sleep, they're pretty scary. In some cases, your eyes can be open and you can feel aware, but you're not. When you come to, it's disturbing. It happened to me in the ER after getting head butted by my 120 lb dog. My perception during the episode was only 5 or so seconds had passed. I looked at the person on my left, holding her baby. I looked out the front window, and then seconds later, looked back at her. During my perceived 5 seconds of looking away, the woman had gotten up with her baby (didn't hear her or see it out of the corner of my eye), gone to the bathroom to change her baby and was returning to her seat, when I "came to". I thought, when did she get up, I only turned my head & back.
    In reality, it was more like 5 or 10 minutes. I thought I was wide awake that whole time, my eyes were open, I remember seeing a car drive through the ambulance bay, but nope. I lost consciousness & didn't even know it, because when I think of losing consciousness, I think of my eyes closing, my head dropping, but my eyes were wide open. My mind blanked it all out. It was freaky.

Sleep deprivation is an impairment, however, it is not something that can be proven like drunk driving can with a sobriety test.

Warning Signs a Driver May Fall Asleep at the Wheel | Auto Accident Lawyers

Drowsy driving is illegal in my state.
    Not sure how IN treats drowsy driving, as very few states address this common, dangerous problem.

Drowsy driving indicators:
    (BBM to indicate which ones could possibly apply in AS's case)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  14. Mandos

Mandos Active Member

It's quite possible of course. Young mother with several young children, early in the morning, hectic day ahead, probably some level of sleep deprivation, as is depressingly common nowadays.... Pretty much impossible to prove though.

15. Alleykins

Yes, it is difficult to prove. One officer in another article I read (unrelated to this case) stated there is no equivalent of a breathalyzer to test for sleep deprivation, like there is for alcohol, and that the only way they can prove it is if the person tells them they're sleep deprived. But, if prosecutors don't even ask AS about how much sleep she got the night before, if any, then they're doing the community a disservice. I'm thinking since she was taking her husband to work, something she said she wasn't used to doing, there's a chance she had a change in sleep routine. Throw in a fussy toddler or child, and a whole night's sleep can be greatly affected.

16. Gardenista

Wow

RTV6 (WRTV - Indianapolis) was live.Follow
    43 mins ·

WATCH: A jury in Fulton County has found Alyssa Shepherd guilty on all counts in a case involving three children who died after being hit while walking to their school bus.

IceIce9 likes this.
  17. Gardenista

18. Alleykins

Gardenista and IceIce9 like this.
  19. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

I must admit I was surprised by the verdict, but very pleased that the families get justice.

I guess I have seen too many cases where justice does not prevail.

Gardenista and Alleykins like this.
  20. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the sentence could be?