GUILTY IN - Two killed, 7 injured as explosion rocks Indy neighborhood, 10 Nov 2012

Long article discussing the factors Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry will consider in deciding whether to try the 3 accused as death penalty cases:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121227/NEWS/121227025/1001

<snipped>
Authorities last week charged Monserrate Shirley, 47; her boyfriend, Mark Leonard, 43; and his half-brother Robert “Bob” Leonard Jr., 54, each with two counts of murder in connection with the Nov. 10 explosion.

The blast in Shirley’s home killed her neighbors, Jennifer Longworth, 36, and her husband, John “Dion” Longworth, 34, and destroyed nearly three dozen homes.

Shirley and Mark Leonard also face charges of conspiracy to commit murder. All three are also charged with 12 counts of arson causing injury, a Class A felony; and 33 counts of arson causing property damage, a Class B felony.

In the next two weeks Curry will meet with a five member “death penalty review” committee in his office to examine the case. The panel consists of deputy prosecutors and managers in the prosecutor’s office.

The review will take 30 days, and Curry will make the final decision, which he hopes to do before a court hearing Feb. 12.
<snipped>

These people sound like stupid, dumb idiotic criminals. I didn't believe a word she said during her interviews - alligator tears. They deserve to be in prison for the rest of their lives. I'm sure they never planned for this to happen, but it doesn't matter. Consequences.....

It's scary to think about how the stupid actions of people around you, although maybe they have no intention of hurting you, could end your life. I used to be worried when I lived in apartments of someone falling asleep with a cigarette or candle and burning the complex down. It just takes one stupid action to lead to deadly consequences.
BBM

How true! When drug dealers lived next door to me, I worried that they had a meth lab in their home (townhouse). The thought prompted me to buy renter's insurance.

I did have a close call in college. The girl who lived next door to me in the dorm left a candle burning in the window. The curtains caught fire. Fortunately, the fire was extinguished before it could get out of control. It didn't spread to my room and most of the damage in her room was smoke damage. Could've been a lot worse if it happened in the middle of the night.

In a video at another link posted above a neighbor said that residents are fighting with their insurance companies to pay for repairs. It's wonderful that the Area Burmese Churches are easing the victims' burdens with their gift, but the damage to these homes is so extensive that that alone will not help these people rebuild/repair their homes. Ironic that the church organization is giving not out of any obligation but out of pure compassion and generosity while the insurance companies are unwilling to pay out. I do understand the insurance companies' reluctance, though. I'm sure they are fighting to place the financial burden on MS and ML's insurance company, and rightly so I suppose. But, in the long run it will affect those insured by the same company, as their insurance rates will rise as a result. Just astonishing to think of all of the lives affected through the ripple effect. No one can sue those responsible for the damage, either, because they are so deep in debt. Just a terrible, terrible situation for everyone. :(

the insurance companies squabbling with the homeowners over payment should be ashamed of themselves and brought before the courts. Those people paid for their homeowner's insurance and there should be no questions about their valid claims. Nor do I see the perp's insurance company liable for anything. It was a deliberate act.....so the fault falls back on them; but as you stated..they are in debt and now in jail....and prolly for the rest of their lives. So no money coming from them.
What a crock.:furious:

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...on-sought-hit-man-kill-witness?nclick_check=1

< snipped>

The alleged conspiracy devised by Mark Leonard was outlined in a probable cause affidavit, a court document filed to support a criminal charge. According to that document:

Jail officers in March intercepted a phone call Leonard made to order the murder. An undercover federal agent then contacted Leonard.

Before that, Leonard met another jail inmate he thought was a member of the Southside Mars Hills Charity Riders motorcycle gang. Leonard wanted to know if one of the gang&#8217;s members could be hired as a hit man.

Also, in the above link:
<snipped>

Curry said it is not clear of what impact the new charge against Leonard will have on the explosion case. Leonard’s initial court appearance was not immediately set; a pretrial hearing on the charges connected to the explosion is scheduled for April 10.

State meets deadline in Richmond Hill case

09/19/13

INDIANAPOLIS – The Marion County prosecutor met a deadline to convince a judge to try the three suspects in the Richmond Hill tragedy together instead of separating the cases.

In August, Judge Shelia Carlisle told the state it had until Sept. 20 to respond to Monserrate Shirley and Mark Leonard’s motions for severance.

The third defendant, Robert Leonard, has not filed for such a severance.

Shirley argued in early August that she was a victim of Mark Leonard’s abuse and manipulation and had no knowledge of his alleged insurance scheme to blow up her home and collect $300,000 in a settlement and therefore should not be tried by his side.

Two neighbors died, dozens of homes were damaged and losses totaled $4 million in the Nov. 11, 2012, explosion that investigators determined was intentional.

Leonard himself filed for severance two weeks later, claiming he and Shirley will mount “antagonistic defenses” against each other, indicating they could potentially blame one other for the blast.

The motion indicates that Leonard’s defense will be “there is no proof that the explosion was not accidental” while Shirley’s defense will allege “the evil Leonard brothers committed these acts to gain a windfall from insurance proceeds and Shirley knew nothing about their plan.”

“(A)llowing Mark Leonard’s jury to hear a litany of dirty deeds and uncharged misconduct substantially impinges and unfairly prejudices his right to a fair trial,” reads the motion filed by Leonard’s attorneys.

Key to the state’s case will be statements half-brother Bob Leonard allegedly made to his son, Justin Leonard, about “Uncle Mark.”

Justin described spotting Mark Leonard’s white van at Bob Leonard’s house after the explosion.

Read more: http://fox59.com/2013/09/19/state-meets-deadline-in-richmond-hill-case/#ixzz2mqkibAzY

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back