IN IN/WI - LARRY DEWAYNE HALL, 1980's-90's

In September 1993, Jessica Roach was abducted not far from her Illinois home, raped, strangled to death, and dumped in an Indiana cornfield. Almost a year later, police connected Larry DeWayne Hall to the 15-year-old victim’s murder after other young girls told their parents about a man driving a Dodge van and someone managed to get the vehicle’s license plate number.

“That plate came back to Larry Hall, who we had never heard of at the time,” said Gary Miller, then the chief investigator for the Vermilion County Sheriff's Office in Illinois, CNN reported.

When investigators in Indiana interrogated the former janitor about Roach, he reportedly admitted to raping and strangling multiple victims, including Tricia Reitler, 19, around six months earlier, in March 1993.

"All of the girls looked alike. I cannot remember all of them. I picked up several girls in other areas, but I can't remember which ones I hurt," he allegedly told detectives.

The following day, however, Hall recanted the alleged confession. Reitler’s body remains missing.

In 1995, Hall was found guilty of kidnapping Roach and a judge sentenced him to life behind bars without the possibility of parole, the mandatory federal sentence when a kidnapping results in death, prosecutor Larry Beaumont said, according to CNN.

CBS reported Hall was not charged with murder in the case because authorities could not determine if the victim was killed in Indiana or Illinois.

According to The Buffalo News, Hall eventually allegedly admitted to murdering over 15 girls and women — including 20-year-old Laurie Depies in 2010 — after convicted drug dealer Jimmy Keene was offered his freedom in exchange for coaxing a confession out of Hall.

Came searching for this thread tonight after watching the first episode of Blackbird, a limited series currently airing 1 episode each week on AppleTV+. It’s not a documentary but a dramatized show based on the investigations of Larry Hall’s crimes and the Jimmy Keene/Larry Hall confession story:

“The premise of the new psychological crime drama “Black Bird” might be brushed off as overly fanciful, if not downright hokey, were it not rooted in actual events: a convicted drug dealer befriending a suspected serial killer in prison to pry out the location of a victim’s remains in exchange for a commutation of his own 10-year sentence.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tv/2022/07/08/black-bird-review-apple-tv-plus/

My husband was watching Black Bird and instead of continuing on my way to the laundry room I of course was instantly intrigued by the true crime drama. Here I am to see what the websleuths community thinks.

but WOW! we only have 22 posts on this prolific SK?! A quick read here makes me think he is officially suspected for 40-50 victims. And there may be co-conspirators that have not been incarcerated.

The anonymous map posted above Larry Dewayne Hall's potential victims has 64 possibles and there are hints in this thread of others not on the map.
Redford University Dept of Psychology provides a detailed timeline of his life, also posted above. timeline

These victims and their families could sure use our help!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back