In your opinion, why do you think Ron and Misty REALLY got married?

Why do you think Ron and Misty REALLY got married?

• Because they are truly in love.

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • To get her on his side/confidence.

Votes: 73 11.4%
  • To avoid statutory rape charges.

Votes: 177 27.7%
  • Because they think they won't have to testify against each other.

Votes: 156 24.4%
  • That Misty is maybe pregnant

Votes: 25 3.9%
  • Who knows..this is too bizarre to even take a guess at.

Votes: 195 30.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it all comes down to motive.

What do each of them potentially get out of this?

R:
1. Misty's silence
2. More controversy=more $
3. He makes an honest woman out of Misty and may receive less criticism. However, she is still a child bride. I don't know that marrying her actually makes the situation any less disturbing. I don't think they would have actually charged him w/ anything unless LE were to use this to bring him in on lesser charges.
4. This may help him retain custody of RJ
M:
1. A sparkly ring
2. Financial support
3. His silence
4. Access to alcohol and maybe drugs

I don't think a possible pregnancy fits for several reasons.
1. I'm assuming that she isn't marrying him for insurance, she could just as easily allow the state to bear her medical costs

2. If she is pregnant, you would assume that she would at least lay off the smokes while on camera, she hasn't, so I'm assuming that this one isn't true.

3. Children out of wedlock does not seem to be an issue here.

No one could actually prove that Ron and Misty were having sex and that she wasn't just a babysitter, but Misty's parents should have done something about her living with an adult man at age sixteen. If Misty didn't obey and come home though, LE would just consider her a runaway and put her into Juvie and then probably back with her parents. At age seventeen I doubt if LE would do much unless the school system wanted their federal monies and fines for Misty not attending until age 18. I don't understand why Florida is so lax when people in Texas are hounded and persecuted about school attendance until age 18.

No one could actually prove that Ron and Misty were having sex and that she wasn't just a babysitter, but Misty's parents should have done something about her living with an adult man at age sixteen. If Misty didn't obey and come home though, LE would just consider her a runaway and put her into Juvie and then probably back with her parents. At age seventeen I doubt if LE would do much unless the school system wanted their federal monies and fines for Misty not attending until age 18. I don't understand why Florida is so lax when people in Texas are hounded and persecuted about school attendance until age 18.

Misty moved in with Ron when she was 16 year old. She has only been 17 for about 3 months before they got married. As to being in school, people can drop out of school at the age of 16 in Florida.
FL Statutes for School Attendance

I don't even know how to answer, because there are too many factors involved. My take on it is Misty "thinks" she is in love, she "thinks" being married, playing mommy, having a hubby taking care of her, is the ultimate sweet...shes seventeen, immature and should be in school with her most important decision at the moment being which dress she should chose for her prom. She is living in fantasy land, so she thinks...she is in for a very rude awaking I'm afraid.
Ron is not in love with Misty IMO. Misty is nothing more than a live in convenience, someone to watch the kids, do the dishes, cook meals, clean the house and tend to his brains below the belt mentality. Misty feeds his ego. At her age, she is both too naive and gullible to realize that he keeps her around only because he can control her and he thinks he can mold her to suit his own needs. I don't believe he had plans on marrying her any time soon, if at all, until it was brought to his attention that Crystal would be filing for custody of Jr. I don't believe it was his initial idea that marrying Misty could possibly help him retain custody, I think his Mom may have put that little bug in his ear and he went with it...simple as that. So I vote: Misty marries for love, Ron marries to retain custody of Jr.

Well put. You got my vote!:clap:

I think he married her to have total control. He wasn't so sure before. He most likely assume that she will do exactly what he tells her to do. Looks she will too. This man is a walking time bomb.

I chose "who knows" but actually, this is what I believe. He wanted total control and she's too young to figure it out. After watching them on The Today Show, I truly believe she takes her cues from him and she is afraid to say anything, anything at all, that's why her answers are vague, she sometimes doesn't respond, and many times she ends her tale with "that's all I know". I agree with you, whisperer.

I think the only reason why they got married is because they knew Crystal was going to fight for custody of Jr. He knew he would loose him because he left his kids with a child and he was living . Just looks bad.

I agree Seifsister.

My take on the marriage:

Upcoming custody battle;
Possible Statutory Rape charges if Misty is pregnant;
They think they won't have to testify against each other;
and
Ron is now Misty's guardian. She can smoke and drink all she wants while she is with him.

JMO-Sue

My reason wasn't one of the options, but I think they may be in love and it's may be what Misty has been demanding since they first got together. Someone had to be mentioning it to Haleigh for her to want it so bad, then there's the threatening message to the other girlfriend about having her man and her child next, and Misti was already calling Ron's kids her kids. I think it was mostly Misti's idea and Ron's mother advising him it's the best thing to do with all the criticism he's gotten. Somewhere, in his grief and depression he has to know that something isn't right with what all has happened.

Quite possible, except for the "in love" part. It does seem Misty has been talking the marriage talk since the beginning. Her mother said they've been wanting to get married "forever". I nearly fell off my chair. Since when is a six months dating period "forever"?

Who knows, it might be true that Misty wanted to get married from get go. I used to have all kinds of romantic white wedding dreams when I was her age and sometimes the 'getting married with just about anybody' part was more important than the 'being married with this particular person' part. But if they'd been seriously planning marriage "forever", wouldn't they have been engaged before last weekend? Misty's parents could prohibit marriage until she's 18 but not getting engaged to be married.

IMHO... Ron has married her to keep her close, either because he needs her to continue to cover for him or he is highly suspicious of her and holds her soley responsible for Haleigh's disappearance. Ron doesn't strike me as being a very forgiving person.. I'll venture to say he will make her life a living HELL, if he doesn't "OFF" her...
My assumptions are based on what I have picked up on in reference to his actions toward her. He may have lusted after her at one time, but there isn't any love in his heart for her...
There is an old saying you can fool SOME of the people ALL the time, and ALL of the people SOME of the time , but you can't fool ALL the people ALL the time..
He may consider himself a pro at fooling people, but he isn't..He missed the mark.. He needs a good dose of reality in reference to how his OWN words and actions have proven him to be a deceiver.

I have to agree with you. Their body language doesn't scream "in love with each other". In fact, it screams "control". Misty is a child in a dangerous adult world. It's very scary. Either he suspects her of something, or more likely, he's watching what she says because she knows too much about him. Something's not right. Her evasiveness in answering questions suggests she's hiding vital information. And they don't act lovey dovey at all, not even in the wedding clips. I realize it was a somber time to marry but they had no sign of love or happiness during the wedding. None.

I think they got married because Chrystal's lawyer is bringing up child abuse and neglect in the home, this way they don't have to testify against each other concerning what went on in the home. I don't think Ronald is chronic abuser but I do think he has a quick temper which could have lead to a slap in anger.

I think they got married because Chrystal's lawyer is bringing up child abuse and neglect in the home, this way they don't have to testify against each other concerning what went on in the home. I don't think Ronald is chronic abuser but I do think he has a quick temper which could have lead to a slap in anger.

This is oft repeated, rarely heard: There is no spousal privilege for anything that happened before the marriage or in any incident of abuse toward a child of one or both parents whether before marriage or afterward.

To keep the word sex offender off his booking photo

It happens in Indiana too. If your child doesn't show up for school and he wasn't called in sick, expect a truancy officer to be at your door.

All of the above EXCEPT for the "first" reason.

The very first thought that came to mind when I heard of their marrying was that they are probably dumb enough to think that being married would prevent them from testifying against each other.

The very next thought was what kind of parent who's child has just gone missing can plan a wedding let alone even going through with one during a time like this?

Makes me have serious second thoughts about the innocence of both Ron & Misty.

Those were exactly my first thoughts, mia and in exactly that order!

It wasn't in your poll, but someone mentioned in another thread that perhaps they got married to avoid a charge against Ron of interstate transport of a minor across state lines. They were going to NYC to be on the Today Show prior to last Sunday's proposal and Thursday marriage, so who knows?
If they had really been seriously getting married for love, why not just accept the proposal and the ring and then plan a wedding for right after Haleigh comes home so she can be a part of it instead of making her part of an "afterwards ceremony"? Kinda makes you wonder if they know she isn't coming home... I so don't want to suspect that either of them had anything to do with this, but the more they do, the guiltier they appear -- at least to normal people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23