Inconsistencies in DB's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know why she was taking Effexor? For depression or anxiety?

I found this:

What Does the Research Say?

Drinking alcohol while on Effexor does not seem to increase the mental and motor skills impairments caused by alcohol in normal subjects taking Effexor.
However, the effects of Effexor and alcohol in those with depression have not been studied. This is one reason for exercising caution with alcohol and Effexor.

http://depression.emedtv.com/effexor/alcohol-and-effexor.html

Also, I just thought of something. Did DB say she was "blacked out" drunk or "passed out" drunk?

They're not the same.

Sorry I have not been following the case avidly enough to remember all the details.

1. Well, she could be fairly certain of this if, as I suspect, she has drunk that much while taking Effexor in the past and, like me, did not experience intensified alcohol effects. (That sentence sounded weird. I'm not saying I have drunk that much while taking Effexor.) I don't think a person goes from drinking little or nothing to suddenly quaffing down the quantity she claimed she did that night.

2. Are you saying that perhaps while blacked out she took yet a third substance?

3. Again, if she was blacked out, what difference does it make whether that was a result of alcohol or the combination of alcohol and Effexor?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just still don't feel I understand your point.
BBM
I may be wrong but it seems to me that some may feel it's bad to drink enough to black out and really bad if you drink, take drugs and then black out. The end result is the same, but when you add drugs into the equation, your a really despicable person because you abused drugs. JMO.

Also, I just thought of something. Did DB say she was "blacked out" drunk or "passed out" drunk?

They're not the same.

Sorry I have not been following the case avidly enough to remember all the details.
They way I remember it, a reporter asked her if she "blacked" out. She replied that it was possible. I don't know if Debbie ever confirmed later that she blacked out. Maybe she doesn't know the difference.

What "statements about her condition that night she can't possibly know" are you referring to?

On Dr. Phil she said she knew for certain that the effexor didn't interact with her alcohol. She can't know that for certain because based on her previous statements about having had a lot to drink and possibly blacking out, she was in no condition to evaluate whether the effexor had a combined effect with the alcohol or not. Even if it doesn't affect her at 1 or 2 drinks normally, it might at 5 or 10 or more drinks which is the amount she says she may have had. To me it was an additional unnecessary risk and speaks to her lack of judgment and her ongoing denial about the severity of her substance use.

On Dr. Phil she said she knew for certain that the effexor didn't interact with her alcohol. She can't know that for certain because based on her previous statements about having had a lot to drink and possibly blacking out, she was in no condition to evaluate whether the effexor had a combined effect with the alcohol or not. Even if it doesn't affect her at 1 or 2 drinks normally, it might at 5 or 10 or more drinks which is the amount she says she may have had. To me it was an additional unnecessary risk and speaks to her lack of judgment and her ongoing denial about the severity of her substance use.
So your saying that Debbie was too drunk to give a reliable evaluation of mixing alcohol and her meds? I can agree with that. But what if the mix didn't affect her? Would that mean she was telling the truth? I don't know what to believe.

BBM
I may be wrong but it seems to me that some may feel it's bad to drink enough to black out and really bad if you drink, take drugs and then black out. The end result is the same, but when you add drugs into the equation, your a really despicable person because you abused drugs. JMO.

But there's no evidence that she "abused" drugs. Effexor isn't an "abused" drug that people take for recreational purposes like they do, say, Xanax or Valium or Oxycontin. If she was already taking Effexor regularly, she wasn't adding drugs into the equation, she was adding alcohol into the equation.

I hope this makes sense. Bedtime for me.

Effexor can be abused. Perhaps it's not as popular as a narcotic or opioid but Effexor abuse has been known to happen.

Did Debbie abuse Effexor? I don't know and I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she took only the number of pills prescribed. But it's also advised not to mix it with more than a glass or two per day of alcohol.

If she was already taking Effexor regularly, she wasn't adding drugs into the equation, she was adding alcohol into the equation.

It doesn't matter which one was added first. She should have known better not to combine them like that and it was irresponsible of her to do so.

- It was bad for her to drink too much.

- It was worse that she drank too much when she already had a drug in her system that could very likely react negatively with a lot of alcohol.

- If she drank 5-10 or more glasses of alcohol, she can't know for sure that the effexor didn't impair her even worse even though she says for certain that it didn't.

I can't explain it any more simply than that.

Effexor can be abused. Perhaps it's not as popular as a narcotic or opioid but Effexor abuse has been known to happen.

Did Debbie abuse Effexor? I don't know and I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she took only the number of pills prescribed. But it's also advised not to mix it with more than a glass or two per day of alcohol.

It doesn't matter which one was added first. She should have known better not to combine them like that and it was irresponsible of her to do so.

- It was bad for her to drink too much.

- It was worse that she drank too much when she already had a drug in her system that could very likely react negatively with a lot of alcohol.

- If she drank 5-10 or more glasses of alcohol, she can't know for sure that the effexor didn't impair her even worse even though she says for certain that it didn't.

I can't explain it any more simply than that.
Thanks for your informative post. But do you believe that Debbies statements about her meds constitute a lie or a lack of understanding? I do understand the importance of reading the warning labels on all medication one takes. But how can you make sure that it is always done?

I don't see the medication statements as an inconsistency. She never said she was worried about their effects so the that part of the story stayed the same as far as I'm concerned. It's consistent with the overall nonchalant attitude toward drinking. If people's mindset is that so what if I got drunk in front of my kids and don't remember if I saw my baby or not, I don't expect them to be overly concerned about the potential side effects of mixing alcohol and medications.

Ranch, good question and she may have believed that back in October; that she didn't think it would affect her or she didn't know it might.

But she's been following her own story and made it clear she's aware of what people have been saying about her drinking and use of drugs (I'm including prescription medication in that) and has had conversations with LE. By now she should know that mixing certain drugs is not a good idea and that *maybe* the combination of alcohol and effexor did impair her more than just alcohol alone.

Her adamant statement that being drunk and using anti-anxiety meds had nothing to do with Lisa being missing tells me that

1) she is in denial about her alcohol/substance use and possible consequenses of drug interactions

or

2) she wasn't really drunk but is using being drunk as a cover to avoid being specific about what happened that night.

I think it's possible she slipped and all but admitted she was more alert and aware of what really happened that night than she's been saying.

LOL. That's about the size of it. I don't think there's any way to know for sure.

You're welcome.
And we don't eve know what time she took it. She could take it in the morning so would drinking and taking it even be an issue to start with? I would think if she took it in the morning, What she did at night would be irrelevant.

I think DB has foot-in-mouth disease and just should not speak. She and her attorney are her own worst enemy no matter if she did it or not. Between her and her own attorney, they need to take lessons from JI and learn to keep quiet. IMO

I wonder why she said she had 5 or 10 glasses of wine. That is a big difference,
It feels like she is trying to cover both sides of the fence.
5 glasses = i wasn't so drunk that I am a bad mom for leaving kids in the house while i got buzzed.
10 glasses = I was wasted so cannot remember the event of the night with 100% accuracy

Since the missing phones COULD receive inbound calls...Did anyone ever call them when they found Baby Lisa missing? It would have been worth a shot to call the phones and see if the kidnapper took them on purpose to receive a call about ransom.

What stands out to me is that..the garage door was "easy to open", the office window was unlocked, front door was unlocked. Why would anyone, especially a mom who follows some true crime stories and knows how horrible the world can be, leave her house purposely unlocked when she has 3 small children at home. That is just insane to me. Locking door isn't foolproof but it does help. Why be so careless?
And if DB is careless and leaves unlocked, open access and knows she leaves lights on..why was she concerned when JI mentioned all the lights on. It wasn't the first thing they discusses. JI discussed with a sleepy DB putting son in his own bed..THEN he mentioned the lights and DB WOKE RIGHT UP freaked out. But why would that freak her out? It;s not like JI came barging in freaking out over lights...it's sounds like he casually mentioned it and it wasn't 1st conversation on his agenda. If DB knew she left lights on..why was that cause for alarm?
Also..didn't she say before she turned all the lights off? So now why is she saying she didn't? The way she tried so hard to dismiss the lights sound like a contrived story and I want to know why. It was such a smooth answer..oh JI is an electrician so he cares about lights..no biggie, over exxagarrated (sp?). That one sounded well rehearsed.

I also believe JI was concerned when he say lights on..It's DB's reaction to her "normal" that makes my hinky meter go up.

Since the missing phones COULD receive inbound calls...Did anyone ever call them when they found Baby Lisa missing? It would have been worth a shot to call the phones and see if the kidnapper took them on purpose to receive a call about ransom.

No, they didn't try to call the phones. As I recall we discussed it previously when that came up.

Does anyone remember where the original "neighbor said lights went off" came from? Is this from LE in the early days?

ETA. Just wondering if this is a rumor or a fact. IF it's a fact, she's now gone on Dr.P and said the exact opposite of what her neighbor/friend says.

No, they didn't try to call the phones. As I recall we discussed it previously when that came up.

I think it was established that DB and JI did not try to call the phones. But I would be very shocked if LE didn't. I assume they did. MOO

I think it was established that DB and JI did not try to call the phones. But I would be very shocked if LE didn't. I assume they did. MOO

Yes, I was not talking about LE. But we have had no info that LE did or didn't. And if LE did call the phones, why didn't they hear the phones? Supposedly the phones were close to the house, were they not? I assume that all these searches close to the house was LE looking for the phones, and it appears the phones were never found, but doesn't that suggest LE believed the phones remained close to the house? It's a very puzzling business with the phones, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member