INDIA - John Allen Chau, 27, American, killed by tribesman on North Sentinel Island, 16 Nov 2018

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Breezie, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Breezie

Breezie Well-Known Member

2. Breezie

3. Breezie

Christian missionary's letter to his family before he was killed | Daily Mail Online

'I regret I began to panic slightly as I saw them string arrows in their bows. I picked up the fish and threw it toward them. They kept coming.

'I paddled like I never have in my life back to the boat. I felt some fear but mainly was disappointed. They didn't accept me right away.

He later wrote: 'Well, I've been shot by the Sentinelese… By a kid probably about 10 or so years old, maybe a teenager, short compared to those who looked like adults.

Describing the attack, Chau said a 'little kid shot me with an arrow - directly into my Bible which I was holding.

Why would he or anyone return the next day? The arrow through the Bible could have been a sign that they were not receptive to what he wanted to share with them.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    human, whatsnext, 4Jayhawks and 7 others like this.
  4. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

I'd say being shot with an arrow is a pretty good sign he wasn't wanted. It's my understanding that they have a unique language so they wouldn't even understand what he was telling them.

human, Baciagalupo, whatsnext and 7 others like this.
  5. HayLouise

HayLouise Law Student

John Allen Chau: Family forgive tribe who killed American

The family of a US man reportedly killed by arrows fired by members of an endangered tribe in India's Andaman and Nicobar islands have said they forgive those who killed him.

John Allen Chau: Family forgive tribe who killed American

Legally Bland likes this.
  6. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

Here's a video of anthrapologists trying to make contact in the 90's.

This is a weird one for me on WS, as I have no ill will towards the murderer(s).

7. scapa

scapa Well-Known Member

I am sorry for the death of John Chau, but this particular attempt at conversion seems to have been spectacularly ill-advised. Hard to blame the islanders for an aggressive response to someone who had arranged -- illegally and with full knowledge, after repeated warnings -- to trespass on their territory.

8. Legally Bland

Indian police trying to recover the remains of an American missionary killed by an isolated tribe are consulting anthropologists and staking out the island where he was attacked.

Officers in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a remote Indian territory, are trying to determine whether the body of John Allen Chau can be retrieved, and whether any tribespeople can be charged for killing him after he trespassed on North Sentinel Island on 16 November.

Police stake out area where American killed by Andaman tribespeople

HayLouise and Elainera like this.
  9. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

They are not going to charge tribespeople. Tribespeople are considered sovereign citizens. And this guy had no business of being there. They shot at him a day before (arrow ended in his bible), so if he still didn't figure out it was dangerous to go visit them, then his death is on him.

10. FrostOwl

FrostOwl -

Let's hope that the death of JAC will be the only death his visit on the island causes, as the natives most likely doesn't have any immunity to diseases like the common cold or other infections as they have lived isolated for centuries. JAC could have caused a genocide on that tribe, especially as there are only about a hundred members of the tribe, as any visit from outsiders could do. I hope nobody will try to retrieve the body, and that no i*iot will try to repeat his folly.

11. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

human, otto, HayLouise and 1 other person like this.
  12. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

The media report this as though Chau did it by himself. However there is reason to believe he was enabled /assisted by other missionaries.

"Jeff King is president of International Christian Concern, the organisation with which Mr Chau was aligned, and was in contact with him during his visit." Family forgive tribe who killed American

"Seven people have been arrested for helping Chau, including five fishermen, a friend of Chau’s and a local tourist guide, police say...With help from the friend, Chau paid fishermen $325 to take him there, Pathak said.

"After the fishermen realized Chau had been killed, they left for Port Blair, the capital of the island chain, where they broke the news to Chau’s friend, who notified his family, Pathak said." ‘God, I don’t want to die’: Diary reveals final hours before American killed on Indian island

The fishermen did not, as they would have done had he been on his own, decide to go back to their lives and not say anything. This friend of Chau's knew how to get in touch with his parents directly, he didn't contact police or the embassy. The family didn't privately grieve for their wayword son, they immediately instagrammed the story!

Then there is this deliberately written final journal/letter that was passed along by the fishermen to his friend, and that was somehow transmitted within days across the globe and, again, instantly released to major news outlets by his family.

I believe he intended to become a Christian martyr, and was enabled to do it by others. It's doubtful , to me, he would have gone through with it, without external support. Much like suicide bombers.

IMO, his family and friends shouldn't be forgiving the Sentinelese, they should be apologizing and asking their forgiveness.

13. Legally Bland

I think you may well be right about martyrdom. This is how ICC are reporting it, and no mention of Jeff King being there. It's all 'reportedly' second hand info.

"11/20/2018 Washington D.C. (International Christian Concern) – International Christian Concern (ICC) has learned that an American missionary named John Allen Chau, age 27, was reportedly killed by unidentified individuals from the Sentinelese community on North Sentinel Island, located in India’s Andaman and Nicobar Islands. This murder comes at a time when Indian Christians report ever escalating levels of persecution across the country."

American Missionary Reportedly Murdered by Hostile Tribe in India | Persecution

(More at link).

whatsnext, Satchie and HoneyWest like this.
  14. Legally Bland

15. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

According to this article, he was primarily affiliated with a US missionary group called All Nations, which trains missionaries, apparently without being affiliated to any church.

"He joined All Nations as a missionary in 2017 and trained at its North American headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri...[he] was a gracious and sensitive ambassador of Jesus Christ"

"We remember too, how throughout church history, the privilege of sharing the gospel has often involved great cost. We pray that John's sacrificial efforts will bear eternal fruit in due season."

UPDATE: All Nations, ORU Grieve Reported Death of Missionary John Chau

I'm a religiously tolerant person, but I think, instead of celebrating his death, All Nations needs to tone down their curriculum.
    "Here at All Nations we are committed to enthusing you for cross-cultural mission!"
    About Mission

16. scapa

scapa Well-Known Member

I think you’re spot-on with this analysis. And I hope that we don’t see any attempts to follow up on JCs “mission,” either by future martyrs or avengers.

17. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

John Allen Chau: Andaman authorities pause plan to retrieve body of US missionary on North Sentinel Island - CNN

North Sentinel: Police urged to call off search for American’s body

A rights organisation urged Indian police on Monday to call off efforts to recover the body of an American missionary believed to have been killed by an isolated tribe on a remote island due to the risk of introducing them to diseases.

Indian police are working with anthropologists and psychologists to see if a plan can be forged to recover the body of Mr Chau.

human, Legally Bland, Hraefn and 4 others like this.
  18. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

I also feel the tribe is the one owed an apology. JAC effectively made them murder him for their own survival. While JAC may have mistakenly believed he was acting selflessly, it was actually incredibly selfish IMO.

19. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

The isolated tribe responsible for the death of an American missionary are “peace-loving people,” according to an anthropologist who forged a relationship with the tribesmen. Indian researcher T.N. Pandit embarked on police-sanctioned journeys to the remote North Sentinel in the 1960s and 1990s.

“We should respect their wish to be left alone.”

Pandit, now 84, said he felt “sad” about Chau’s death, but added: “He made a mistake. He had enough chance to save himself. But he persisted and paid with his life.”

https://nypost.com/2018/11/28/anthropologist-tribe-that-killed-missionary-are-peace-loving-people/

FrostOwl, human, Hraefn and 5 others like this.
  20. whatsnext

whatsnext Justice for Gannon

‘I’ve Thought a Lot About Whether I Did Good or Evil’: Missionaries on the Death of John Allen Chau

"The death of an American missionary this month has led to an internal reckoning among many of his fellow missionaries."

"Many said they were resolute in their evangelical convictions, but others said Mr. Chau’s death caused them to re-examine what it means to be a missionary. And while some sympathized with Mr. Chau’s drive to travel to the island and minister to its inhabitants, others said they were disturbed by what they saw as recklessness."

I am a simple person, so I don't really understand the problem here. If people want to be left alone it is their right to be left alone. If you bother them anyway, well, live with the consequences.
    I should maybe keep away from religion and politics...:oops: Jmo

FrostOwl, human, HoneyWest and 5 others like this.