Indiana - Coronavirus COVID-19

Coronavirus in Indiana: What we learned Tuesday from governor's press conference

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb and other state officials addressed the public Tuesday afternoon regarding the state's coronavirus outbreak. Here are some key takeaways:
  • Holcomb said the state's ban on dining in at restaurants and bars has been extended through April 6.
  • Kristina Box, Indiana State Department of Health commissioner, acknowledged that Tuesday's reported jump of 373 positive cases and 14 additional deaths "represented a very big increase" over the figures reported Monday. She cautioned that these cases have occurred over a two-week span, not just one day. She also cautioned that the increase doesn't mean an end to the pandemic is in sight. "I do not want Hoosiers to see these rising numbers and think the peak has arrived," she said. "We have a very long way to go before the peak."
  • Box said it is difficult to determine when the peak will arrive. "Do I think the surge is starting? I do. Are we at the peak? In no way, shape or form. Other states have seen waves of this, so we'll have to be on the lookout for that."
  • The Army Corps of Engineers will help set up field hospitals if needed, Box said. She said specific sites have not been identified, and potential capacity will be determined by needs in each individual region.
  • Box downplayed hydroxychloroquine as a treatment or preventative for COVID-19. "The data of the use of this medication to treat COVID-19 is very limited," she said. She also said hoarding hydroxychloroquine is harmful to those who use it daily for lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and other purposes.
  • Box reported 11,000 medical volunteers, not including students, have stepped up to fill voids and serve as backups where needed. This number was 5,300 as of the press conference Monday.
  • Holcomb said a COVID-19 crisis fund set up by Evansville Mayor Lloyd Winnecke and other area community leaders has raised $2.2 million of its $6 million goal.
  • Holcomb said abortion clinics are among the facilities that have been asked to stop elective procedures, unless it would cause harm to the patient. He said that determination would be made by the doctor. "Any and all medical expertise and PPE needs to go to defeating COVID-19," Holcomb said.
  • Box said not everyone needs to wear a mask at this time, but those who work with at-risk individuals may be advised to. "Everyone masking is not realistic, and not necessary," she said.
  • Holcomb said he has not considered expanding travel restrictions as neighboring Kentucky has done, though he would ask those in a hot spot to not travel.

The update yesterday showed 9 deaths in Madison. We can assume the other 2 will show in today's totals. We had a few days of low deaths and I am concerned that is not going to be the case today. This is such a very surreal life we are in now.

I think I know the answer to this. But asking anyway.

If someone was transferred from indiana to Kentucky and died at a kentucky hospital, that would be included in kentucky death count?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back