Infant gets 2 fetus's removed from her...

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by kittykat1, Mar 28, 2006.

1. kittykat1

kittykat1 New Member

Strange!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12056405/
    Two-month-old Pakistani girl in critical condition after operation

I have never heard of this before. It is amazing the little girl went through this!

2. Loading...

3. michelle

michelle Joy comes in the Morning

That is weird. I mean that would be like the youngest pregnant woman ever, even though it wasnt the normal way......:waitasec: Very strange..

4. Jean

Jean Former Member

I have never heard of anything like this either. I hope the little girl will be okay.

Snips from the article:

Surgeons operated on a 2-month-old Pakistani girl Tuesday to remove two fetuses that had grown inside her while she was still in her mother's womb, a doctor said.

Abbasi, the chief doctor who led the operation, said the case was the first he was aware of in Pakistan of fetus-in-fetu, where a fetus has grown inside another in the womb.

Abbasi said surgeons removed the two partially grown fetuses, totaling about two pounds, that had died at about 4 months.

5. blueclouds

blueclouds Former member

Oh my. Chimira's no doubt.

An infant has an operation removing 2 fetus inside of her. Supposed to end up as triplets......

WOW.... as Kramer stated on Seinfeld - "God is a MADDDDDDDDDD SCIENTIST".

Oh dear. Poor babe. She's in critical condition. I pray she survives.

6. Amraann

Amraann Former Member

The discovery channel (I think it was) had a few shows about this.
    According to the documentary many more women are actually pregnant with twins then once was thought.
    But often the one fetus absorbs the other.

The have recently found a few cases where this has happend and when the Baby (female) grows to adulthood and has children of her own the DNA doesn't match that of her child.

7. TheShadow

TheShadow New Member

I never heard the part about the DNA not matching. I have heard of this sort of "internal twin" thing. In older children and adults it is sometimes referred to as a parasitic twin. The one fetus became stunted as a tiny fetus and the other grew around it, absorbing into some area of their body. THis has been found in various organs that have been surgically removed. There was even one guy on TV that had the tiny (seriously deformed) face of his parasitic twin growing out of the side of his neck. :sick:

8. Mabel

Mabel Former Member

Did you ever see the movie Basket Case? It's about a guy who had his partially developed twin removed from his side and the twin lived so he carries it around in a basket. It makes him do evil things. It's the absolute worst most stupid hammy movie I've ever seen. It was supposed to be a horror film but we laughed all the way through it.

It was so bad that they made a sequel, making fun of the first one. And then a part 3 came out. Unreal.

9. A.Wood

A.Wood New Member

I read about a little boy with his twin in his stomach. I guess anythings possible, we have conjoined twins and all. Some people are born with a very tiny twin connected to them that just didnt develop, there was an actor who had a twin the size of a thumb removed from his shoulder when he was born....I just cant think of the actors name. He still has the scar from what I read.

10. christine2448

christine2448 Retired WS Staff

Wow, interesting stuff, thanks for the info and posting, never heard of this before. Just googled (imagine that) fetus-in-fetu and found a ton of articles, studies, information. Learn somethin' everyday!

11. solidarity

solidarity New Member

I had a friend who was expecting twins and, very early on, one of them stopped growing and became calcified. The remaining one kept growing and eventually was born. Her doctor mentioned that before ultra-sounds were available, many people would never know that they were originally expecting twins. I guess this is a similar case, only that there was three of them, and the other two became inbedded in the third.

Hope the little one makes it!!

12. blueclouds

blueclouds Former member

well the mad scientist GOD creates so many wonders..... watched Documentary tonight where there were "TABLOID" births that were finally shown what the REALITY was.

One lady was pregnant for 18 years... gave birth to a STONE baby. Esentially, she had an ETOPIC pregnancy... child actual grew substantially and then the body protected it by "shutting it off" from the rest of the body and fed calcium to the unknown object within its body.... thus turning the baby to stone.

I find all of this utterly amazing. It answers some questions to transexuals..... women born with male organs vice versa.....

13. RainbowsAndGumdrops

RainbowsAndGumdrops New Member

I knew a girl in college that had female problems. She went to the doctor and they discovered she was missing 1 of her female organs. They ran further tests and found that she was genetically a male. Not only did she not believe it, she was furious that anyone would suggest that was even possible.

14. RainbowsAndGumdrops

RainbowsAndGumdrops New Member

I think that I saw the medical review show on TV about this boy. He was about 8 when his twin was removed. I don't know all of the medical terms, but the twin was a parasite meaning the twin embedded in the boy and took nutrients from the boy. The twin would not be able to live on its own. When they removed the twin, it was essentially a honeydew size head with dark hair that must have been 10 inches long. There was no body. The head had a brain that appeared to function and had distorted facial features. I think the head was using an umbilical type attachment to get nurishment and growth. Because the twin that was removed had been alive and growing there were issues of whether it was conscious and whether it was humane to remove the head from its life source. I think the doctors said that the boy needed to have the twin removed to survive, much as people need to have cancer (which are living cells) removed to survive.

15. lisag

lisag Former Member

Yeah, that would be hard to cope with.

16. Amraann

Amraann Former Member

It was just a fluke that it was discovered.
    They showed two cases.. One the women had some health issue I believe and they tested all her family for a match..
    The second case was a young mother who had 2 or 3 children and was in the process of legal proceedings wth the father /DCF over child support.
    SO they did the paternity test and for a long time the court believed she was lying to get extra money. She was actually pregnant when this happend so when the new baby was born its DNA did not match either.
    Basically how it was explained was that the women themselves had two Different DNA strands in their bodies. Thought to have been created by them being twin fetuses at conception. The Doctors who tested them discovered that some of their organs typed as the one DNA and some organs as the other that did match their children. Also they each had a couple of children and if memory serves me 1 or 2 of the children did match the original DNA taken.

The scientist studying this felt that even though so far they have only documented these two cases, its very likely that more exist but not to many people have either health issues or legal ones that would cause a need for DNA testing. Rarely are DNA tests done between mother and child.
    The scarry part here is that our legal system relies heavily upon DNA testing.
    The two cases documented where both women but certainly it could happen to a male as well.
    It leads me to wonder about paternity tests that come back negative. In some cases the women insist its not possible for it to be negative and that the man they claim is the father truly is.
    Then there are criminal cases where DNA exonerates someone yet all evidence points to them.

17. christine2448

christine2448 Retired WS Staff

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading your post...I thought DNA was the 'end all, be all'..this puts a new twist on that? Am I understanding correctly....that it's possible for a person to have 2 totally different DNA profiles...uncommon, but possible? Or could be more common then we realize?

18. TheShadow

TheShadow New Member

My friend's mom had a newspaper she received from her relatives in Portugal. She and I were trying to translate this story of a boy who was born with the outward appearance of a boy, genitals and all and was certainly raised as a boy. But when this boy got to be a teenager it was thought that he was ill and must have a tumor because his belly started to swell over a period of months and he was frequently nauseous. Now this part of Portugal is very remote and the people are not very scientifically sophisticated. No one there suspected the truth, that he was born with both male and female sex organs and had accidentally impregnated himself by nocturnal emission. Eventually he was taken to the large hospital in the city, expecting that he would have to have the tumor removed and the truth was revealed in x-rays. In that Portugal is a very Catholic country, I'm pretty sure that he carried it to term. True story, not the Enquirer.

19. Amraann

Amraann Former Member

You understand it perfectly.

And yes many people could have this type of DNA makeup and it would mostly go unnoticed because there is little reason to test the paternity of a mother against that of a child, excdept in rare cases.
    To date its been a given that if a fathers DNA doesn't match that of the child then he is simply not the father and the mother is lying.
    According to the study the DNA varied by organ.
    In the case of the pregnant mom they had to DNA test several different organs until some finally matched that of her children. (the one the court thought she was lying about and the one she was pregnant with at the time)

A simple swab test (the most common way DNA tests are done) did not match.
    So for example when they DNA tested her kidney it had a complete and seperate DNA then the swab test or DNA tests of her hair and skin.
    (I am not sure if it really was her kidney ,just using that as an example)

20. Marine Mom

Marine Mom New Member

That's one of the strangest stories I've ever heard.

21. Amraann

Amraann Former Member

I would think its very sad and confusing for those suffering such a disorder.