Inmates strike in prisons nationwide over 'slave labor' working conditions

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by bluesneakers, Sep 10, 2016.

1. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Active Member

Inmates strike in prisons nationwide over 'slave labor' working conditions

Organizing groups say coordinated strikes are under way in at least four states in stance against poor sanitary conditions and jobs that amount to forced labor

JMO I don't see this ending well but one can hope.

2. Loading...

3. bluesneakers

Downtown protest tonight supports nationwide prison strike

4. bluesneakers

The US could see one of the largest prison strikes in national history

5. human

human Well-Known Member

I don't agree with being treated horrendously,but why would they get paid while in prison?

6. bluesneakers

I don't know why they get paid but my guess would be companies aren't allowed to profit from someone working for free and being forced to work isn't part of anyone's sentence.

7. bluesneakers

8. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Oh Boo Hoo, the convicts don't get paid....too bad so sad. :no:

Maybe they should have a union and get paid vacations and pensions when they 'retire' from their prison jobs...

9. katydid23

WE pay for their living expenses, housing, food, medical needs, education, while they are incarcerated. Their own actions put them where they are. So why shouldn't they be put to work with little pay while they do their time?

10. bluesneakers

Have you never heard of the Attica Prison riots? Forty-three people - including a guard - died during the riots. Now imagine that happening at prisons all over the country.

11. bluesneakers

Massacre at Attica Prison

BBM

The way things are in prisons now I doubt something so big and scary would happen but I don't think it's something that can be dismissed with a "boo hoo." Inmates aren't the only ones who are injured or die during riots.

12. bluesneakers

Double post.

13. CoolJ

CoolJ Active Member

Damn rights they should be put to work! I see no problem with making prison life suck. It should suck. And for the worse criminals, the violent ones, the murderers and rapists and child molesters it should suck even more.

Having said that, there are too many in American prisons that should not be there. There are literally thousands in the American prison system doing years and sometimes decades on what I would consider minor drug offences. Free those ones and make the despicable ones suffer a little. JMO

14. Really?

Really? Active Member

Thanks katydid......you took the words right outta my head.....:boohoo:.......:jail:

15. Ray_of_hope

Ray_of_hope Verified registered nurse

I think they should work and pay restitution for whatever they were convicted of instead of letting their pay go into their personal canteen fund.

16. bluesneakers

I agree with everything you said.

Being the anniversary of Attica makes me a little jumpy. I'm not too worried anything is going to get out of control and I doubt the prisoners are going to have their demands met but I would hate to see this turn violent.

17. Ray_of_hope

Ray_of_hope Verified registered nurse

I do agree with the offenses part. A case in Florida put a man behind bars for 3 years for stealing a bicycle. On the other had, a mom was sentenced to 18 months probation, I think, for killing her child.
    And while I'm on a rant... White collar crime should also do time! A kid who's hungry goes to jail for stealing bread when a corporate exec is fined a pittance of what they stole under the umbrella of a corporation.

18. bluesneakers

2 Florida prisons on lockdown on day of national ‘strike'

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article100874582.html

19. katydid23

So basically they are threatening to riot now? Kind of like following in BLM's footsteps? ' You'd better pay us more or we'll tear up the prisons!'

That is only going to bring them MORE repression, not leniency.'

20. bluesneakers

Who do you think pays if they tear up the prisons?

See above:
    "It caused damage to nearly every dorm and lasted into early Thursday morning, officials said."

(But paying for repairs is nothing compared to guards and other prison employees losing their lives.)

21. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

I think it could be interesting to make the prison work a different kind of financial model. If private companies want to come in to a prison, the workers should be paid minimum wage. With that minimum wage, the workers then pay a room and board amount specified in a contract with the prisoner. The prison workers could create a savings account that they use for commissary or child support and restitution from additional monies made. If prisoners use offered opportunities to learn a trade, they can get raises and increase savings. Without training and real work experience these prison workers will probably just reoffend.

I don't necessarily think this works for sex offenders, murderers and highly violent criminals but I do think a living wage would add to sense of self as they pay for their keep (at least, partially). We need something new here. The revolving door does not help anyone.