Instructions for Pop-Ups, Redirects and Sluggishness

Discussion in 'Forum Finesse' started by Tricia, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Teche

Teche Well-Known Member

Yep just started a week or so ago.

SAMS, Orgona, Cubby and 4 others like this.

2. Dontknow?

Dontknow? Well-Known Member

Since yesterday evening every time I visit WS there is now "Websleuths Video" at the top of the page with running videos powered by Primis. As I get to different threads or refresh the page, the video pops up! I have ******* but even it won't stop the videos. PC running on Chrome. Thanks in advance if anyone knows what to do!

3. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

Have you tried turning off Java? That works for me, but reduces functions on WS, and may not be workable if you have other websites open. So I mostly just put up with the videos and ads. For the ads, I hit the back button and try again (always works for me). For the video that appears at lower right, I hit the X. But I have to do that every time I go to a different page. It really gets tiresome.

Laughing, Quiet Time, Miigo and 5 others like this.
  4. Orgona

Orgona Well-Known Member

I’m on an iPad and I have the pop-ups too since a week or so. I click on the blurred part of the screen and the ad closes and the page becomes readable again. Annoying non the less.

5. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

So this morning I’m being subject to the most annoying as of yet. It covers the entire bottom of the page. With a tiny x in the upper right corner and a video embedded in it. How many more of these invasive ads will we have to contend with before WS is barely operational due to them?

6. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Ugh. Are they under a heading called Websleuth Videos, Powered by Primis?

They popped up for me the last couple of days but aren't there now. I was ready to quit WS they were that annoying! I'm glad I checked back to see the videos gone.

jmo

Laughing, Hazelnutty, Alcina and 4 others like this.
  7. killarney rose

I know the one at the top of the page was primis I didn’t look at the one at the bottom, I was too angry and installed you know what.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  8. Susikatze

Susikatze Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. The primis video pops up every single new thread I open and eats half of my screen. And frankly, some of their content is not interesting to me or even offensive (calling Israel an "Apartheid state" does not sit terribly well with a Jew).
    I understand the forum needs to cover server costs but I really would love to know a solution to at least turn off the auto popup.
    Before, the videos only opened when I clicked on them.
    I am on a mobile Galaxy phone.

I also get ads when I scroll but those stay where they are and are tolerable. Just the primis video autopopup content annoys me to the core. I would even be willing to pay a small fee to help with server costs if the crazy popups stop.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  9. FrostedGlass

FrostedGlass Well-Known Member

They have suddenly stopped for me today. Thankfully.

10. annemc2

annemc2 her name is Suzanne Marie Sevakis

Oh. My. God. I rarely (if ever) grouse about something but video pop-ups drive me insane. They just started for me today and I wondered what was up. They seem to come randomly, which might even be worse?

I don't know. I just LOATHE them. Every freaking news article I try to read has them, too. Like if I wanted to watch a video I'd find a video. Reading is a million times faster and I can't concentrate with a little video in the corner of the screen. I guess I'll just monitor/tolerate and see what happens, since there seems to be no preference option for turning them off.

Laughing, Hazelnutty, Suglo and 8 others like this.
  11. annemc2

annemc2 her name is Suzanne Marie Sevakis

Laughing, Suglo and Flicka1 like this.
  12. cujenn81

cujenn81 Well-Known Member

I thought I posted about my solution to the videos and pop up ads last week, but I must have dreamt it. I downloaded the Duck Duck Go browser app (it’s free) to see how it fared, and it’s a pure Godsend! There are no pop up videos in every page corner, no pop up advertisements, and the slideshow of videos at the top of each page is even gone. It’s times like these when I really miss Tapatalk.

13. snowgoose

snowgoose Well-Known Member

The Primis autoplaying videos are killing me, any way of getting rid of them that doesn't involve changing browsers? I'm on a Windows PC, using Firefox. I already have a certain Firefox add-on but it doesn't seem to catch them.

Laughing, Hazelnutty, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  14. scandinavian girl

scandinavian girl Well-Known Member

it so annoying had it a couple of weeks ago, then it disappeared and are now back. I have ad-blo---r and it does not help. Last time it happened I tried the private window on my browser, firefox,, and that worked. I am on a laptop.

ETA: I am on private window now and will see what happens today.

Laughing, Hazelnutty, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  15. killarney rose

My a d b l o c k e r stopped working last night. I had to reinstall it. This is ridiculous that these ads are programmed to get around it.
    They will not get me to buy anything. Most of the time I don’t have a clue what it is they are selling. It’s something I have never heard of. The end result is, if my a d b l o c k e r becomes ineffective on this site, I will just stop coming.

Laughing, Hazelnutty, Cubby and 8 others like this.
  16. FrostedGlass

FrostedGlass Well-Known Member

There're back again and nothing makes them stop except to close them on every page.

They are annoying beyond words.

17. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

18. cujenn81

cujenn81 Well-Known Member

I have to say — Websleuths had a Grade of B+ when I first downloaded the DDG app but it’s now a D. (The DuckDuckGo browser app grades websites based on privacy policies, encryption, and advertising tracking.) The explanation given for the D grade was an unknown privacy policy and the blocking of 12 trackers (10 of those were “major trackers” — a la Facebook, Google, Twitter, Amazon, etc).

19. Orgona

Orgona Well-Known Member

I have to say that nothing suggested helped for me before,
    I downloaded this browser and although it looks ridiculous and childish by first look, this solved the problem completely. Thanks

Now of course there is another issue. IMO The advertisement could generate some much needed revenue for the site and now I don’t see any.
    I rather have some ads which are behaving normally and can click on them as support, than having to resort curtailing them entirely.
    But for now I choose to use this browser because through Safari spending time on the forum wasn’t enjoyable anymore, actually it made me want to leave entirely.

Might this be some programming/coding issue through how the board is built? I never encountered this problem on another site.

ETA:
    I reported my own post to bring this to the mods attention

Last edited: May 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM
    cujenn81, Laughing, Flicka1 and 3 others like this.
  20. killarney rose

ITA with Orgona. I don’t mind normal ads like on other sites. I’d never normally block those. I understand the revenue is needed. But when we started having those three intrusive ads- the video at the top of the page, the whole page ad you have to trickily get out of to proceed, then the film at the bottom of the page, it’s just too much to expect us to tolerate. They obliterate what you are trying to read.

cujenn81, Laughing, Flicka1 and 2 others like this.