Internet Involvement in Haleigh's Case: Obsession?

KOOL LOOK

~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal,
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://jacksonville.com/news/florid...leigh_cummings_mystery_feeds_online_obsession

The disappearance of 5-year-old Haleigh Cummings eight months ago occurred about the time Ellen Johnson got Internet access at home in east Texas.
"I didn't even have a computer in my house until just before this," she said.
Now, the 46-year-old petroleum engineer has a Twitter account called haleighnewz dedicated to the case and at summer's end, was in Putnam County to help with a school supply drive for Haleigh's classmates. Johnson met Haleigh's mother, Crystal Sheffield, and grandmother Marie Griffis there. She spends hours sharing her thoughts online and probing for information about the ongoing investigation.
It is as if the Internet has removed a wall. more at link above.....

Many sleuthers have been saying this for a while now. Interesting article, I think the reporter "Dana Treen" did a great job in this article interviewing several people on the subject.

Very interesting is Lt. Johnny Greenwood's statement made to this reporter on the subject of bloggers, anonymity etc.... we've been wondering about the laws and posting opinions, Greenwood mentions below....

Lt. Johnny Greenwood of the Putnam County Sheriff's Office said bloggers Harris and Watts check information and have not caused heartburn for investigators.
"The only thing that is really discouraging is those bloggers who have bad information," he said.
Some hide behind online anonymity, he said.
"We don't know who they are. People take what these people say as gospel."
The Internet can offer a measure of secrecy but is still within the reach of the law, said Rick Karcher, a torts law professor at Florida Coastal School of Law.
Opinions are not illegal but the First Amendment does not protect against false, defamatory statements, he said.
"It's from the perspective of the reader," he said. "Would they think it is true?"

BBM, good to know this about the laws and posting opinions on the net. I wasn't clear, or aware of precise laws. You will find further interviews from Haleigh's Grandmother, "Marie Griffis", Art Harris, Steph Watts, several internet twitter bloggers at link above, very interesting.

This article is relevant to this thread, as the latest internet involvement causing DCF investigation into Ron's alledged Gun incident in the home claimed by Tim Miller. Read link....

http://www.thesky973.com/pages/5438311.php
Haleigh Update: Rumors of Dad and His Guns Spark Investigation

TJ Hart

Based on claims in report from an internet site and information from web forums, sources close the Haleigh Cummings abduction case say an investigation was opened by DCF regarding claims Haleigh's father had talked about using a gun in a threating manner in the presence of his young son. more at link....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Volus...58644#/topic.php?uid=126685158644&topic=11539

Interesting tip/theory from an internet poster posted at Putnam County Sheriffs Office in September 2009. This gives us a glimpse to what all LE has to deal with. An internet poster watches a Nancy Grace show, due to the "evidence" presented, lol requests LE to go search from FL to MA.

Growing more sympathy for LE by the second. LE claims to have received over 4,000 tips to date.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Volus...58644#/topic.php?uid=126685158644&topic=11539

Interesting tip/theory from an internet poster posted at Putnam County Sheriffs Office in September 2009. This gives us a glimpse to what all LE has to deal with. An internet poster watches a Nancy Grace show, due to the "evidence" presented, lol requests LE to go search from FL to MA.

Growing more sympathy for LE by the second. LE claims to have received over 4,000 tips to date.

The only problem with that theory is that Timmy wasn't in MA at that time. He moved later.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"​

This quote is so fitting for this case. We all want Haleigh home; but LE is right that some of the statements lead them down a road to brick walls. It wastes time. People mean well, but unless you have real evidence, I think you should stick to blogging and not sending stuff to LE. As always JMO.

I guess I disagree on the good intentions, I don't believe that is the case for many of those injecting themselves into the case. JMO

Wow, just wow. Timmy was living in Fl. when Haleigh was abducted, and if "Susan" had ANY knowledge of the case, she would have known that. I hope LE doesn't have to spend time on worthless "tips" like that one. Geesh.

Looks like people just trying to help find a little girl, Flossie. Just like you.
Making up crap is NOT helping find Haleigh. It is glaringly obvious by Susan's post that she did not do one ounce of checking before providing this "tip". That wastes time, manpower and funds for a wild goose chase.

This quote is so fitting for this case. We all want Haleigh home; but LE is right that some of the statements lead them down a road to brick walls. It wastes time. People mean well, but unless you have real evidence, I think you should stick to blogging and not sending stuff to LE. As always JMO.

IMHO I'm not thoroughly convinced LE wasn't sent off on some wild goose chases on purpose. Also, we have some excellent sleuthers that have come up with places that she may be but to my knowledge LE hasn't checked any of those places...JMO

The only problem with that theory is that Timmy wasn't in MA at that time. He moved later.

Hadn't thought of that, good point. I was amazed at her last sentence in which she uses caps like demanding LE go look because she said so. :snooty:

Bern, my heart jumped when I started reading your post. I agree vehemently, as you. There's a boundary, to what we as on line sleuthers who care should or shouln't do.

I guess I disagree on the good intentions, I don't believe that is the case for many of those injecting themselves into the case. JMO

Agree. I've seen for myself, the latest being the DCF, Tim Miller and Ron debacle concerning the alledged gun incident in the home. It's crossed the line.

Wow, just wow. Timmy was living in Fl. when Haleigh was abducted, and if "Susan" had ANY knowledge of the case, she would have known that. I hope LE doesn't have to spend time on worthless "tips" like that one. Geesh.

Hopefully LE weeds through those that are obviously "wrong". I've thought about actually making a post to Putnam county's public internet site to ask a question before, never did. But I wouldn't bother them with a theory based on watching Nancy's show. It's scary to me.

I'm actually now, concerned more if one of my children become missing, as to "What strangers could do to my family over the net". Been thinking about that aspect of Haleigh's case the last 2 weeks since I saw this DCF gun allegation take hold. Disturbing to me. If DCF showed up at my home to conduct an investigation due to someone on the internet, they better have the entire Sheriffs department in tow sitting in my yard with guns visible in order to get through my front door. I would contact a lawyer immediately.

IMHO I'm not thoroughly convinced LE wasn't sent off on some wild goose chases on purpose. Also, we have some excellent sleuthers that have come up with places that she may be but to my knowledge LE hasn't checked any of those places...JMO

I agree :dance: I also believe there was a "false" search done in San Mateo with the search dog named "Gunny" and their handler where alledgedly planted evidence was found. I've looked all over the net to see what LE has to say about it, and can't find too much. That in itself, has me confused. :waitasec:

I think most of the people who have posted about Haleigh have good intentions. I think some have gotten carried away and gotten too involved injecting themselves into the case. I really think it is mostly with good intentions and really wanting to help in some way. This case really tears at our heart that this beautiful child has not been found, and nobody can figure out what happened to her. Someone knows. I just wish they would step up and tell what they know so there could be closure both for the family and for all of us strangers who really care.

Gosh. I didn't realize helping organize school supplies was interfering....I learn something new every day!

snipped by me
I'm actually now, concerned more if one of my children become missing, as to "What strangers could do to my family over the net".

I think about that too Kool, I think many people have gone out of their way to try and destroy the family. It's quite sick imo. I think for those folks it's not about HaLeigh at all. JMO

I think the "obsession" the public has with these high profile cases is a double edged sword that cuts both ways. LE asks the public for ANY information, so they have to expect such leads, as outrageous as they may seem, and eliminate those that are not feasible. LE uses psychic leads, anonymous tips, hunches, etc. Sometimes people don't say anything, then later wish they did. If I had a missing child I would appeal to ANY resource out there, LE, TES, MK Foundation, Internet Bloggers, Milk Cartons, Nancy Grace, ARMY/NAVY/AIRFORCE/MARINES, Leonard P, Cobra , even the A's.... get my drift? I am under the opinion that no stone goes unturned in the case of missing children. Also, if it was reported that anyone, even if it was my BEST FRIEND, SON or DAUGHTER, behaved the way RC did with a gun (bb gun, hunting rifle, assault rifle - any kind of gun)in the home with a child I would report it and expect the child be removed until that was fully investigated. There are TOOOOO many reports made about suspected abuse that get lost in the cracks that you hear about when it's too late to do something.

I think the "obsession" the public has with these high profile cases is a double edged sword that cuts both ways. LE asks the public for ANY information, so they have to expect such leads, as outrageous as they may seem, and eliminate those that are not feasible. LE uses psychic leads, anonymous tips, hunches, etc. Sometimes people don't say anything, then later wish they did. If I had a missing child I would appeal to ANY resource out there, LE, TES, MK Foundation, Internet Bloggers, Milk Cartons, Nancy Grace, ARMY/NAVY/AIRFORCE/MARINES, Leonard P, Cobra , even the A's.... get my drift? I am under the opinion that no stone goes unturned in the case of missing children. Also, if it was reported that anyone, even if it was my BEST FRIEND, SON or DAUGHTER, behaved the way RC did with a gun (bb gun, hunting rifle, assault rifle - any kind of gun)in the home with a child I would report it and expect the child be removed until that was fully investigated. There are TOOOOO many reports made about suspected abuse that get lost in the cracks that you hear about when it's too late to do something.

Lisa I agree with you one hundred fold. Where I part ways with you, and maybe not actually, as you didn't comment specifically about what I'm going to mention.

The latest DCF allegations made against Ron was made by not eyewitnesses, family, school, LE, neighbors, or eye witness account. Tim Miller is the one claiming this alledged event, and yet weeks went by and only til he had to start defending his most recent questionable behaviors, did he mention this episode. Then is when an internet poster, imo, overstepped boundaries of a families right to privacy and protection under our constitutional laws and rights afforded American Citizens.

It use to mean something to be An American. The allegations were called in to not only DCF, LE, FBI and only them know who else, including letters and posts all over the internet furthering a rumor causing hysteria and public internet involvement in turn causing even more posters to report same incident. Thus overwhelming the system, which we pay for with our tax dollars. Based on what they read and heard on the internet. Not witnessing said event. This is troubling to me as a parent, as a citizen.

Obsession? I don't think it's obsession so much as being fed up with what's happening to the massive disappearance of people today. especially the children. For me, it's the most immediate way I can get involved, share information with others that have the same drive to try to contribute in some small way, and possibly bring a positive solution to an urgent problem. If it hadn't been for the dedication of some daily posters, I doubt DCF would have opened an investigation on RC and the gun incident!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back