JOIN WEBSLEUTHS RADIO LIVE TODAY @ 2:00 PM EASTERN AS WE LOOK INTO THE TERRIFYING WORLD OF MEDICAL SERIAL KILLERS
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN LIVE TODAY 2 PM EASTERN

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

Discussion in 'Bullies and Stalkers' started by Bohemian, Mar 29, 2018.

1. FlossyMay

FlossyMay Well-Known Member

Twitter is basically constant status updates. Not really my cup of tea. I'm not a huge fan of Facebook either, to be honest, but I do use it to keep in touch with my family and friends that live in other parts of the country. I make sure I never add strangers to my friend list...only people I have met in real life.

2. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Windmill Tilter

Catfish: Trolls: MTV Show Brings Victims Face-to-Face with Their Trolls
    “Catfish: Trolls” comes at a time when online trolling is on the rise and continues to be an issue confronting young people. Trolls dominate social feeds and drum up viral storms. Throughout the episodes, viewers will meet Cameron, who’s long awaited confrontation with his aggressor becomes explosive; Ciera, who’s life completely changed when someone stole her selfies and created an offensive meme that went viral; and Meike, who has been trolled by someone for six years. Tempers will flare as Charlamagne and Raymond bring these subjects together to provide an open forum and help them find closure.
    'Catfish: Trolls' Host Raymond Braun's 9 Rules for Dealing With Bullies on Social Media
    “Going in, I basically thought that by the end of each episode, the trolls would agree to stop trolling. That didn’t happen,” the star explains to Billboard. But that didn’t stop him from being optimistic about the future of Internet culture. “I want to see the good in people, so I do believe it’s possible to have an Internet in the future with a lot less trolling. I think we need to fundamentally shift how we react and respond and retweet and upvote content online.”

3. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Well-Known Member

I've always thought of trolls as those who say deliberate things to hurt people in the online world. A troll may make a handful of troubling statements and than disappear. (maybe a bored teen trying to stir up trouble). Sometimes the troll becomes relentless. I've always thought in those cases it was no longer trolling, but had escalated to full blown harassment. I think a troll and a harasser may be too different types of people with different agendas.

Inthedetails, CCJD, neesaki and 5 others like this.
  4. bluesneakers

I agree they can be different, or the same. For instance it might be one person using two different methods to harass someone - someone trolls on SM, or trolls a forum in an attempt to harass a specific user or group of users. Bullying is wrapped up in there too.

5. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

You also have trolls who follow one from thread to thread in a forum because they don't like the idea you disagree with them, they twist your posts, they search for reasons to be offended. I think trolls are specific to the internet. I don't think there is any way to get rid of trolls. Just never ever give out any personal information on the web.

6. bluesneakers

If you have a problem with a troll on this site I would suggest contacting a moderator. I had an issue and Tricia and the other moderators were a big help. There is no reason anyone on this site should have to put up with being harassed, bullied, or doxxed.

Good luck.

7. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

Thank you, but it's pretty much stopped. I chalk it up to people being very passionate about what they're talking about and deciding I am an enemy. I have to admit that it does hurt one's feelings.

8. matou

matou #los2188

Wish I had the same help for trolls on here.

9. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I’m curious about this as well.

10. bluesneakers

The problem hasn't completely cleared up for me. There are still a few issues because some people can't give up. Posting on a board like this there are bound to be disagreements, which as GlamourKitty said is not the same thing as trolling, so yeah, other than giving timeouts for arguing there's not much the mods here can do about that.

Now, harassment, spreading lies, doxxing, making threats, stalking, etc., IS trolling and bullying. I don't believe the mods here would ever be okay with that sort of behavior. At least in my experience. YMMV. :)

11. bluesneakers

It does. It can also be confusing, and scary.

Another thing I've noticed here is it can be so difficult to read tone in someone else's posts. I notice the more I try to be impersonal the more often I'm misunderstood. And I know I misread others all the time. Factual seems cold, funny seems flippant, etc. The smilies we used to have were a huge help.

12. thecatmeows

thecatmeows Well-Known Member

IMO, there's a difference between trolling and bullying.

Trolls join sites strictly to get a reaction from the users. Trolling is not specified at a single user but a group. Trolls are usually lonely teenagers, IMO - I used to troll when I was a teenager, which I'm not proud to admit. Trolls think they're funny, and they're doing everything for LOLs. We had a chat group when I was in high school to "discuss" our trolling endeavors.

Bullies single out a specific person. It's very personal; it involves name-calling and personal attacks. It often leads to cyber stalking and harassment. I was cyber bullied a few years ago, but fortunately it ended when I stopped interacting with the bully (or bullies - they were using anonymous names, so I don't know if it was one or more people).

13. bluesneakers

I agree there's a difference, but sometimes they cross over. Most might be lonely teenagers, but I've seen adults on FB trolling different communities and commenting on individuals' public posts. (Not including Russian bots which is an entirely different kind of trolling.)

BBM This once happened to me, but my lack of reaction didn't change a thing. I think they fed off each other, and maybe one of them pretended to be me to antagonize the others. Anyway, I'm glad it worked for you. My other experience with a bully was an obsessed jealous woman who dropped everything when my ex broke up with her. I did not interact with her but she internet stalked me and would not quit.