'Into the Wild' Bus Removed From Alaskan Wilderness

ColyH

Reaction score
It's sad it came to this but it had to be done.
An Army National Guard heavy-lift helicopter has removed the old Fairbanks city bus from the spot near Denali National Park where it once housed Christopher McCandless, the subject of the popular nonfiction book “Into the Wild.”

Photos posted to Facebook on Thursday show a twin-bladed Chinook helicopter carrying the bus away from the remote site it occupied near the Teklanika River, where it attracted numerous tourists who had to be rescued after the book’s publication.

The Alaska departments of transportation, natural resources and military and veterans’ affairs were all involved in the operation, which came at the request of the Denali Borough, said Mayor Clay Walker. The bus had been abandoned since the 1960s, he said.

“I know it’s the right thing for public safety in the area, removing the perilous attraction,” he said. “At the same time, it’s always a little bittersweet when a piece of your history gets pulled out.”

Twelve National Guard employees helped remove the bus; they cut holes in its ceiling and floor to attach chains, the agency said in a prepared statement. The crew also “ensured the safekeeping and safe transportation of a suitcase that holds sentimental value to the McCandless family,” the statement said.

The effort was called “Operation Yutan,” in a reference to Yutan Construction, said National Guard spokeswoman Candis Olmstead. That’s the company that left the bus behind in the 1960s, after it housed workers building a mining road.

Walker said the bus is temporarily being moved to “safe storage,” but wouldn’t reveal its exact location. He said he doesn’t know where it will ultimately end up, but the state’s statement said it’s exploring putting the bus on display.

“We encourage people to enjoy Alaska’s wild areas safely, and we understand the hold this bus has had on the popular imagination,” Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Corri Feige said in a prepared statement. “However, this is an abandoned and deteriorating vehicle that was requiring dangerous and costly rescue efforts, but more importantly, was costing some visitors their lives. I’m glad we found a safe, respectful and economical solution to this situation.”

There were 15 bus-related search and rescue operations by the state between 2009 and 2017, according to Feige’s department.

In April, a Brazilian tourist was evacuated from the bus by helicopter. And last year, a newlywed woman from Belarus died after being swept away while trying to cross the Teklanika River on her way to the bus.

Another hiker drowned in 2010.
Helicopter removes 'Into the Wild' bus that lured Alaska travelers to their deaths - Alaska Public Media

I’m glad the bus has been removed as it was drawing so many interested parties to search it out in such dangerous conditions, some sadly dying along the way.

I watched Into the Wild years ago with my son....very good movie but such a sad ending.

Yes, the bus needed to be removed from its location.

A few years back there was some discussion about moving the bus with so many people venturing out to see it. They were endangering their lives as well as their rescuers. It's good it was decided to remove it.

I remember watching a show on TV about Chris McCandless years ago. Trying to look back, I may have watched the documentary "The Call of the Wild" instead of the actual "Into the Wild" movie.

The Call of the Wild (2007 film) - Wikipedia

Into the Wild (film) - Wikipedia

Chris McCandless - Wikipedia

McCandless, bless him, probably would have died sooner than he did, had he not found that bus. It kept him much more sheltered than a mere tent and/or sleeping bag could have. He was truly in the middle of nowhere, not knowing anything about how things really were out there. If he had kept a map of his trek into the area, he might, just might have survived.

Just graduated from college, he seemed to want to test his wings and his mind a bit before he had to go into the grind of being an everyday worker, researcher, whatever, so he set out. He kept a diary of most of his days out there. Poor, sweet guy -- he was woefully unprepared for the wild that he truly found. He was apparently a brilliant guy, good student, well-liked, from a nice family, and probably a bit naive. He felt the call to test himself. Such a sad, sad ending for him and his family.

Krakauer's book was well-written, fact-based, and very sad. Other research, however slim, shows that Krakauer's account was pretty accurate.
The movie presented his story fairly accurately as well. Still SMH about that young man's story.

Ezra McCandless, the convicted murderer of Alexander Woodworth changed her name after being inspired by the life and death of Chris McCandless.

"As she answered, it became immediately clear to anyone in the courtroom or watching a live stream at home that McCandless appeared extraordinarily relaxed for someone testifying at their own murder trial. She told jurors that Ezra fit her better than Monica and she picked McCandless in honor of free-spirit Chris McCandless, whose life was memorialized in the book and film "Into the Wild."

DA says murder suspect Ezra McCandless "put on a show" at trial - CBS News

GUILTY - WI - Alexander Woodworth, State vs McCandless

I just watched "Into the Wild" again, and I realized that I had somehow forgotten that although his parents were well-off and his dad was way-out-there intelligent, the home life of Chris and his sister was mostly miserable. Somehow Chris's sister was a bit more able to cope with it, but Chris just had to get out -- thus his quest for the nature he loved and for life without being in the whirlwind that was "home."
So sad.
---------------------------------------
@MajorHoople, you make a good point re "Ezra McCandless" --

What a shame that she has so defiled Chris's family name with her ridiculous court antics. Did she not realize her entire future was on the line? Maybe she didn't care.
Whatever, she's been convicted. What a show she put on... SMH

GUILTY - WI - Alexander Woodworth, State vs McCandless

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member