Iran warns women over slack dressing

:rolleyes: Yet we have a thread about a man that cuts off his penis in a restaurant? That sure interests me!

I guess to each his/her own. I'll go read about what to post and what not to post here when I get back later tonight.

No, we shouldn't worry about the oppression of billions of women in a huge region of the world. That would make us busy-bodies. (Totally dripping with sarcasm, in case anyone missed it)

I care about the oppression of women and men ALL over the world. People don't seem to give a damn about the slaughter, rape, mutilation, starvation, disease and more of the people of Africa. They are not on the political agenda as Iran is.

And, I have every right to say this as a good American, who are we to be pointing our fingers at others? We have plenty of oppression and people living in hellish poverty right here.

:rolleyes: Yet we have a thread about a man that cuts off his penis in a restaurant? That sure interests me!

I guess to each his/her own. I'll go read about what to post and what not to post here when I get back later tonight.

Where?

ETA - just found it ih News of the Weird.... of course!

I think it is more that they aren't allowed to vote, drive, seek medical attention, etc.

They have no voice. I agree, who gives a rats bum if they wear jeans. it's the bigger issues that disturb me.

I could be confusing Iranian women with the women in pakistan and afganistan who can't even see a doctor and whose mortality in childbirth is very high. please tell me if I am wrong.

Women in Iran have a bit more freedom than women in Afghanistan. They are allowed to work and go to doctors. Single women ahve a very difficult time there. Especially if they are poor and they have lost their husband for whatever reason. They have very few rights.

Iran is still a fairly modern country, although the current government seems determined to destroy that.

Not quite sure why you are getting so worked up over my question to montana, Jeana. I had a feeling she meant more than what she posted, so I was asking for clarification, which I thought would be the polite thing to do.

In regard to the rest of your post, I do give a crap what they have to wear because I find it interesting to learn about cultures different than my own. I also care about the treatment of people in other countries, especially women and children. Whether or not I want to worry about their dress policy, is really my concern so right back at you with the "geez."

What about the suffering the women in Darfur? What about 12 year old girls who are raising their brothers and sisters in Africa because their parents died of AIDS? What about the women in Uganda? What about the women being sold into sexual slavery in Asia? What about women who are being castrated sexually? What about the women who are not even allowed to get an educdation????? I'm getting worked up because there is real suffering going on in the world day after day and you're upset because some women can't wear slacks????????????? I'm appauled that this is even an issue. You go right ahead and worry about their dress code if you want. Have at it.

What about the suffering the women in Darfur? What about 12 year old girls who are raising their brothers and sisters in Africa because their parents died of AIDS? What about the women in Uganda? What about the women being sold into sexual slavery in Asia? What about women who are being castrated sexually? What about the women who are not even allowed to get an educdation????? I'm getting worked up because there is real suffering going on in the world day after day and you're upset because some women can't wear slacks????????????? I'm appauled that this is even an issue. You go right ahead and worry about their dress code if you want. Have at it.

LOl - did you even read my post????? I said that "I do give a crap what they have to wear because I find it interesting to learn about cultures different than my own." I don't recall saying that I was upset or even worried about this. If you have ever read any of my posts, I think you would know that I certainly do care about the other issues you mentioned. I don't quite understand your hostility aimed towards me in this post, especially since you are jumping to conclusions.

"I'm appalled" (hope you don't mind that I corrected your typo) that a moderator would try to instigate fights in an otherwise friendly discussion. However, thanks for your permission on what I can and can't worry about. I will sleep so much better now tonight. :rolleyes:

You are aboslutely right.

Women are enslaved in many parts of the world and the atrocities are countless.

Darfur is a sickening situation, and I completely support a military/support/humanitarian presence there. I can't explain why the man I voted for (twice) will not intervene, except that they have no oil.:banghead:

Until women are globally recognized as humans vs property, we will suffer the knowledge of this sort of abuse.

I don't know what the solution is, I wish I did. I wish people like you, Jeana, were in a position that could be an advocate for them. I have 3 daughters and 4 sons and it pains me when I see women treated this way.

Let me tell you- if one of my boys ever, EVER treats a woman in an abusive way, his *advertiser censored* will be MINE before the law ever finds him.

I care about the oppression of women and men ALL over the world. People don't seem to give a damn about the slaughter, rape, mutilation, starvation, disease and more of the people of Africa. They are not on the political agenda as Iran is.

And, I have every right to say this as a good American, who are we to be pointing our fingers at others? We have plenty of oppression and people living in hellish poverty right here.

You are right, please see my post above.

I don't understand how anyone who watches the news can be silent observers.

I look at my 3 daughters and am so thankful they had the good fortune to be born in the USA where their lives (and genitals) are guaranteed to be protected. Maybe not by the government, but by me, their mother, who in this country, can vote and be an advocate for their child.

I think that perhaps they are on a slippery slope. Maybe the conditions in some Islamic countries are not as horrific as they are in the Sudan, but they are a travesty none the less. Women are stoned to death, there are still honor killings, women still die from being denied medical care because they are not with a male relative, etc. Forcing women to cover themselves is just the beginning.

Shoot, if there had been a yahoo headline about an annual pre-summer event of police cracking down and making sure women were being castrated I might have started a thread about that. (The castrations, sadly, have been going on so long that there's probably a thread on that somewhere here anyway.)

This was simply a headline that interested me, and I thought might interest others here. **sigh**

You are aboslutely right.

Women are enslaved in many parts of the world and the atrocities are countless.

Darfun is a sickening situation, and I completely support a miliatary/support/humanitarian presence there. I can't explain why the man I voted for (twice) will not intervene, except that they have no oil.:banghead:

Until women are globally recognized as humans vs property, we will suffer the knowledge of this sort of abuse.

I don't know what the solution is, I wish I did. I wish people like you, Jeana, were in a position that could be an advocate for them. I have 3 daughters and 4 sons and it pains me when I see women treated this way.

Let me tell you- if one of my boys ever, EVER treats a woman in an abusive way, his *advertiser censored* will be MINE before the law ever finds him.

Thank you. Its nice when someone sees the big picture and can appreciate the magnitude of what's going on. That one would consider a pair of slacks as "all that" is beyond me. There's real suffering in the world and the fact that someone would be up in arms about apparel is mind boggling to me.

Shoot, if there had been a yahoo headline about an annual pre-summer event of police cracking down and making sure women were being castrated I might have started a thread about that. (The castrations, sadly, have been going on so long that there's probably a thread on that somewhere here anyway.)

This was simply a headline that interested me, and I thought might interest others here. **sigh**

For what it's worth, I thought it was an interesting topic...;)

As I said before, tyrants like Ahmadinejad start somewhere and it's usually with something small, so people will comply, go along with it and not ask questions.

Thank you. Its nice when someone sees the big picture and can appreciate the magnitude of what's going on. That one would consider a pair of slacks as "all that" is beyond me. There's real suffering in the world and the fact that someone would be up in arms about apparel is mind boggling to me.[/quote]

And I guess that's my point. Everything you mentioned in previous comments about the other horrible things going on in this world is true. I find it ridiculous that any country concentrates on what their men and women are wearing, and actually jails them for it. They are the ones that are "up in arms" about the apparel. Not me!

If I'd said that when I created the thread, then I would probably have started a religious argument, which I'm not interested in either.

This was simply a headline that interested me, and I thought might interest
others here. **sigh**

Dear Taximom, Please, Please accept my apology. Because I didn't want to get too political in my first post I kept it short. Obviously too short. I was in NO way criticizing you for posting the thread.

I was criticizing the media for putting out more and more bad stories about Iran because I think they are trying to get us Americans to think worse and worse of Iran. I'll leave my opinions on why I think they are focusing on Iran out of this.

You found it and thought it was an interesting story and posted it. There is of course, NOTHING wrong with that. It is an interesting subject and you have every right to post a thread on anything you want.

It was my fault for saying what I said and it was in no way aimed at you posting the thread . It was aimed at the media in general for their focusing on Iran right now for political purposes, (in my opinion).

I'm sorry my words made problems on this thread. I feel like a piece of cra#p.

I just need to go back to reading only and keep my big mouth shut.

Thank you. Its nice when someone sees the big picture and can appreciate the magnitude of what's going on. That one would consider a pair of slacks as "all that" is beyond me. There's real suffering in the world and the fact that someone would be up in arms about apparel is mind boggling to me.

You are right, and i feel terrible for my ignorance. Since your post, i hsnre been reading about the terrible crimes committed against women. I think thst because the Iranian revolt has been publicised, the media has embraced it and run with it.

It sickens me, as the mother of 3 girls, that women are treated this way in much of the world. A pair of pants? A small price to pay for freedom. How can we (the global "we") protect our sisters?

Let me know.... I will do my part!!

I think that perhaps they are on a slippery slope. Maybe the conditions in some Islamic countries are not as horrific as they are in the Sudan, but they are a travesty none the less. Women are stoned to death, there are still honor killings, women still die from being denied medical care because they are not with a male relative, etc. Forcing women to cover themselves is just the beginning.

For what it's worth, I thought it was an interesting topic...;)

As I said before, tyrants like Ahmadinejad start somewhere and it's usually with something small, so people will comply, go along with it and not ask questions.

Thank you. Its nice when someone sees the big picture and can appreciate the magnitude of what's going on. That one would consider a pair of slacks as "all that" is beyond me. There's real suffering in the world and the fact that someone would be up in arms about apparel is mind boggling to me.[/quote]

And I guess that's my point. Everything you mentioned in previous comments about the other horrible things going on in this world is true. I find it ridiculous that any country concentrates on what their men and women are wearing, and actually jails them for it. They are the ones that are "up in arms" about the apparel. Not me!

I just need to go back to reading only and keep my big mouth shut.
Don't apologize Montana, this is an important issue for all of the reasons above, keep posting articles just like it! You did provoke a response, which is good. If we were all complacent, that's how Hitler rose to power...

Jeana, this is more than just a pair of slacks. It is a heavy overcoat that covers the whole body in a fashion that the body contours can't be seen and many more things. The penalties can be harsh is the coat is too tight or other clothing is not acceptable. This takes away basic freedoms in the lives of so many women. Slack in this case does not mean just wearing pants. It means letting up in any way in full body covering. It is a big part of a culture that includes circumcision of females that can kill or maim for life. It means total control of men over women. I say how can we not be concerned.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back