Is anyone else getting redirected to an Updata Java page?

I have a tablet and that is where all the ads,surveys and java keep coming up...have been on my son's desk top today and now java coming on this too so must be W/S.

On 8/16 I got a notice that AVG had found a bad virus. Then about an hour later when I tried to refresh the forum, I got an alert from Chrome: Google Chrome has blocked access to 69.162.91.234.
This website has been reported as a phishing website. Phishing
Websites are designed to trick you into disclosing your logins,
Password or other sensitive information by disguising themselves
As other websites you may trust.

I just closed that window and opened a new one and was back on WS.

ETA The virus was JS/FAKECODEC. Not a new virus but malicious

There has been malware on WS for about 4 days now. It was re-directing Chrome users, especially, if a person clicked yes or didn't exit the page.
I did not have the problem occur in Windows, just in Chrome.
This is the worst phishing I have ever seen on WS and it also took the longest to hopefully be removed. I guess there is no IT support on weekends?

I was running full Norton Security Suite, and know not to ever let my page be redirected but some people may have malware on their PCs now. Please find an AV scan, if you don't have one, and scan for malware and phishing ware. I haven't seen this particular variant before and am totally surprised that my Norton AV didn't block it.

Was glad to find this thread and answers because I was getting the java thingy , too and it wouldn't let me "loose".......had to disconnect completely..
Not happening today so far I will report.
Thanks for all the posts and info!

I got redirected once today, but it wasn't to the java page, it was some other page that started with 'ad', I x'd out of it before I could get a good look at it.

I ran malwarebytes again and it found another koobface file.

Is anyone getting it anywhere other than the main forum page? If I click directly into a forum or thread, it doesn't happen to me.

This morning, I got the Java one again. But just now, coming here? I got an ad for somehow getting my "r**k h*** erections" back. Which would be fine, but I'm a woman. LOL. Backed out as fast as my fingers could get me out...but thought I should let you all know.

Best-
Herding Cats

I got the java update in the middle of posting about 40 minutes ago...

I'm still getting java coming up and now
I'm getting *advertiser censored* sites..... will it never end?

I run in Chrome and I haven't had this problem. I love !

This isn't just for WS. I had it on another site I visit where I didn't run (to help with advertising and money for the site). works fine, but I am wondering if someone is attacking certain ad sites with this.

i went to the official java site and checked to see if my java was up to date. i did need to update it so i did from their site and so far i haven't had that java pop up. i wouldn't suggest downloading from that popup site but i would say try the official java site.

Hopefully this site has not been 'compromised' in any way.

My hubby's been working on this....he clicked on 'tools' and scrolled down and scrooled down to 'JavaScript console' and deleted everything in it. Nope.
Will keep trying and if something works for us, I'll post it.
Our pc is a desktop , Vista (older model), bought an upgraded graphics card a few years back (Nvidia), and we use Google Chrome ; with Norton as an antivirus. Thought about getting Malwarebytes --- but the Geek Squad at BestBuy said that will bring in more virus programs. :gaah:
BTW, no other site is doing this so far ; just WS. :(

Still nothing works... Norton identifies it and removes it---but am still having to exit WS main page and try again. One thing that works is to try to get onto the page/thread you'd like to view; then later go on that page via your 'history' tab under 'customize and control Google Chrome 'tab . That's alot of fun.

Maybe a mod could tell us how to block that annoying Java virus pop-up ??

I'll probably log off for a bit and try .
If that doesn't work, I'll take my computer into the "Dr." :D :) :happydance:

Re: Bolded at top.

I'm having the exact same issues with various "pop-ups" and not just JAVA related but other pop-ups. My Norton antivirus flags some of these as "attacks".

I do suspect that WS may have something that is causing this to all of us since there are so many people that seem to be getting these similar issues. I'm not going to change anything on my machine, since so far it seems that WS is the only website this seems to happen on.

I would think it would be a good idea to have the WS administrators do a SCAN of their application to see if something has either corrupted their application or something else like a bad setting got changed.

I use Google Chrome when I see these issues. Mainly from the main Forum List page, but I just got some pop-ups from another sub-forum that was not the main page.

Oh, and also, it seems to happen right when scrolling downwards. Just kind of noticed that it happens immediately upon scrolling down.

Tricia has been looking into this matter. I'll make sure she sees this thread for you guys.

I'm not getting this problem on any of my devices. I use four different computer systems.

Tricia has been looking into this matter. I'll make sure she sees this thread for you guys.

I'm not getting this problem on any of my devices. I use four different computer systems.

Thanks Kimster.
For my machine (laptop) using Chrome, it doesnt happen all the time. Its kind of a strange thing because it seems to be sporadic. I went a couple days and thinking it had stopped and then just today, got the pop-ups again.

So it really is a strange thing as it doesnt happen consistently to me. Thanks for checking on it for us.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into this and as far as I can tell this is not a Websleuths problem. Unfortunately, these pop-ups happen when you come on Websleuths but it's because they have been
picked up from other areas.

The Java pop-up has happened to me on Websleuths, Facebook, and Huffington Post.

I'm still working on this. In the meantime if someone could get a screen shot of the pop up that will help. I will try and get the Java one but like all of you it only happens once in a while.

Probably Websleuths as a site can't do anything about these pop-ups. However, that doesn't mean something can't be done individually to stop these types of pop-ups from happing to us.

Thank you for your patience. I'll keep investigating.

Feel free to post here if anyone knows more about this or finds out anything else.

Tricia

I have posts above, and the last time it happened to me was on the 16th and hasn't popped up since I updated my Windows updates that were several updates behind.

I like that we all try to help each other. That's one of the things I really like about Websleuths.

Just wanted to post a couple updates in case it helps.

I havent seen any strange popups for quite a few days now and I haven't changed anything on my machine. If I ever see them again, I will try to remember to come here at least to mention it.

I found that this thread covers some of the same issues listed in a couple other threads under the "Board Software and Hardware Thread". They are listed within the subforums labeled "Unwaranted Unsavary popups when using mobile devices" and the "Anyone having trouble" threads within the Board Software thread.
Seems those other threads also had some posts related to this sort of issue.

One last thing and this is just my opinion after reading lots of posts and doing some investigating.
again...JMO....
Since a lot of people were affected by unwarranted popups and unwarranted redirects, i suspect that maybe some AD links may have been involved. So I can understand why this sort of issue is very difficult to figure out since external ad links may somehow be involved.

These sorts of issues are very difficult to figure out and we appreciate the Admins help in trying to help everyone.

One suggestion from another post on a different thread suggested if the Ad link can be identified, then there should be a way to block the specific URL of the specific Ad link.
The problem of course is trying to determine if an Ad link is really the culprit and then if there are multiple ones involved, it could get difficult to do.

Anyway, thanks again to the Admins for trying to help everyone. We love it here and we all are just trying to help by sharing our information and experiences.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crime.junkie
Back