Is it time for the Caylee memorial to come down?

Is it time for the Caylee memorial on Suburban to come down?

• Yes

Votes: 131 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 28.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 21 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JWG

Reaction score
From this WESH article:

http://www.wesh.com/news/18960100/detail.html

The owner has not removed the memorial, which draws a steady stream of visitors. Some said on Wednesday that they think it is time to take it down.

WESH 2's Bob Kealing will take a closer look at the memorial and its possible removal during a special report at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

Yes. It is time. Life goes on, even in the midst of death. People driving out that direction aren't really going to see the memorial, anyway. They're looking at the crime scene because they're curious.

From what I have seen, and my own opinion, people are not making this memorial to pay respect to an innocent child, but rather to incite hysteria in an already overly hyped case.

–noun 1. something designed to preserve the memory of a person, event, etc., as a monument or a holiday.

I think we will find that for years to come, people will remember Caylee, and leave a flower, a toy, a note, etc there. If I lived in the area, I know I would stop by to leave a flower and say a prayer every once in a while - unless, of course, the owner of the land asked me not to.

When people leave something, I don't think they think about removing it. It's just a moment when they're thinking about Caylee - nothing more, nothing less.

The decision on whether to allow items to be left, and whether to remove the items left, and when, is up to the owner of the land. Not up to anyone else except perhaps the city, if it should become some kind of hazard.

Newuser, it's hard for me to imagine someone thinking to themselves "I think I'll go incite some hysteria today" and driving over and leaving a toy or a flower there. Really hard for me to imagine.

Personally, I'm not one that would visit such a memorial, however, there are those that seem to seek comfort by doing so. Although I feel it is time to move on, I think with the 1st annual anniversary of little Caylee's death in just under 3 months, that location will receive a large volume of visitors and those that will leave mementos. Also, I think the area will generate an additional large traffic volume until shortly after KC's inevitable conviction.

That said, it really should be taken down at that point. It is time to move on.:innocent:

I, personally, would like for it to remain, at least until casey's trial is over. JMO

I am more victim-rights oriented than I can explain. I've followed this case close to obsession. However, this was not my child and for me, leaving something at a memorial site is reserved for family and friends. Not sight-seers. That's just my opinion.

For me, again, my opinion only, Caylee was never there. I don't think the crime was committed there, and I believe she was long-before safe in Heaven.

What it appears KC did there is beyond despicable. Personally, I think it would be great if we could somehow set that tract of land outside KC's cell and make her look at it every day, but that's just me.

My opinion is that no one has any business leaving anything anywhere if it is not biodegradable. Leaving something for a dead child that one did not know personally in my opinion is ludicrous.

lu·di·crous Listen to the pronunciation of ludicrous
Pronunciation:
\ˈlü-də-krəs\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Latin ludicrus, from ludus play, sport; perhaps akin to Greek loidoros abusive
Date:

1 : amusing or laughable through obvious absurdity, incongruity, exaggeration, or eccentricity 2 : meriting derisive laughter or scorn as absurdly inept, false, or foolish
synonyms see laughable
— lu·di·crous·ly adverb
— lu·di·crous·ness noun

Seems to me this is up to the owner of the property. The question is moot. IMO

I don't believe anyone should be creating memorials on land they don't own and anywhere where it could create a traffic hazzard. This one is both on someone else's land and creating a traffic hazzard.

If anyone wants to give something to memorialize Caylee, they should make a donation in her name to Texas Equisearch or a children's hospital or something similar. That would have far more impact on the world than a pile of soggy teddy bears.

I don't think people should be leaving stuff there. They didn't know Caylee and they are just putting stuff out in the environment that doesn't belong there. They are trying to make a kind gesture to that poor child and that's understandable, but putting toys and stuff out there is really just putting garbage out on that property. What happened to Caylee is horrible beyond words, but putting stuff out there isn't helping her.

I can't decide whether it is time for the memorial to come down. If somehow, someone feels a sense of closure once they visit and leave tangible evidence of their visit, I have no problem with it. I also agree that it is going to become a soggy, non biodegradable mess once the rainy season starts. I can't make up my mind on this one, unusual for me.

The property is up for sale, perhaps some good hearted person will buy the tract and turn it into a playground or park of some sort and name it in honor of Caylee. I would like to think of children laughing and playing there - it was not actually a crime scene, just a place to hide the remains, so people might not be reluctant to go there with their children.

Donating small stuffed animals to LE/Red Cross/Crisis Centers/Fire Departments or something like that for traumatized children would be wonderful, imo. (maybe wrapped in plastic to keep them clean until they are needed)

I've seen things like this done on Cops. Yo Yo's were pretty handy for little boys. :) IMO, during such a stressful event in a tender child's life at such a terrifying moment a child can form a terrible fear of LE. I met a child that had full on panic attacks when she saw anyone in police uniform. She was five and obviously her family had had a few run in's with the law. Unfortunately. They moved in next door to my sister and her husband and my brother and his girlfriend were all police officers. Anyway back on point, I think a small gift and a kind word and maybe a gentle hug would/could change the way a child feels about LE for the rest of their lives.

An old friend of mine told me once that being able to give scared little kids a teddy bear to take with them to a motel after seeing their home burn down sometimes helped more than anything else. She worked for the Red Cross at the time I knew her .

What do you all think the people who still want to give in Caylee's spirit would think about doing that?

I am more victim-rights oriented than I can explain. I've followed this case close to obsession. However, this was not my child and for me, leaving something at a memorial site is reserved for family and friends. Not sight-seers. That's just my opinion.

For me, again, my opinion only, Caylee was never there. I don't think the crime was committed there, and I believe she was long-before safe in Heaven.

What it appears KC did there is beyond despicable. Personally, I think it would be great if we could somehow set that tract of land outside KC's cell and make her look at it every day, but that's just me.

I would chip in for a memorial that kc can see everyday from her cell, I voted to keep it this way it will not be forgotten by anyone who might be called to jury duty.

No, in fact earlier I posted on another thread that the land should be purchased or donated for a permanent memorial to Caylee- perhaps a park with benches and a playground, or a park, provided that is that the land is cleared of swamps and snakes. Caylee deserves a permanent memorial for the life that was cut way too short. She never got a chance to really live.

I voted to take the memorial away especially if the school buses from the elementary school pass that way. I just think it's traumatic for children to have to be reminded every day of the lonely, scary location that a little girl was found. It's just too sad. Children hopefully should be happy and excited to go to school.

Common sense in all things.. the toys left there don't do little Caylee any good, meanwhile there are so many living kids with so few toys..
Leave the memorial site, but post a sign making it clear that any toys collected there will be removed daily and donated to charity for other kids.

Long term..I wish the whole parcel of land could be bought, cleaned up a bit, but kept in a more or less natual condition, and set aside as a memorial for all the missing, murdered and abused children of the world.
Ask for an entrance donation to help out with (legitimate!) search groups or other charities for children.. have a wall or place to inscribe the names of those little ones who have passed on, or have not been found after some reasonable amount of time...hold memorial services there annually for every missing child.
LE takes care of legal aspects of missing children, but it would be wonderful if there were a place that was taking care of the emotional/spirtitual needs of those who grieve.

Forgive me as I haven't read all of the posts - mostly because I want to give my own honest answer.
1. Where else are people going to place memorabilia in remembrance of this young, murdered child? We all know that the A's won't allow it at their home.
2. People are paying their respects for this young, murdered child....what could humanly be wrong with that? Just because we are praying for Caylee doesn't mean that the rest of the world knows we are.....but something dedicated visually tells the world that we care.
3. I hope that there would be a permanent Memorial Site dedicated to Caylee. It would seem to me that she (Caylee) has garnered more respect, dedication, honesty, sincerity and concern from the people who have gone to the effort of placing "something special" at this memorial site than she has ever received from her own Family. ***Puke***
4. People are paying tribute to Caylee BECAUSE her "mother" murdered her and for no other reason so please stop trying to make this memorial site into something that it is not. I think that there are the best intentions here, which is more than I can say for GA, CA, LA and *advertiser censored* sociopath Casey.

That's all I have to say about that. Me and Forrest both.

I voted to take the memorial away especially if the school buses from the elementary school pass that way. I just think it's traumatic for children to have to be reminded every day of the lonely, scary location that a little girl was found. It's just too sad. Children hopefully should be happy and excited to go to school.

This issue concerned me as well. Children are easily frightened and knowing what happened there is just too much for a young mind to understand. I do think it is time for it to come down. Perhaps LE or someone can offer those who still need to grieve and remember a way to donate toys, cards etc. in Caylee's name.

This may sound crass and cold, however, I'm not sure Caylee should have her own permanent memorial. There are many missing, abused, and exploited children all around this country. I'd much rather see funds used to help those children. I'm not certain I would want my children to play in a park which was named after a small child that was murdered.

Caylee will forever be memorialized in our hearts. She is cared for by many and that's all we can do, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back