Is there a way to turn off video autoplay?

Discussion in 'Forum Finesse' started by Ultra Violet, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I pulled out an old ipad, went to WS and saw the video. Then I went to Settings, Safari, Advanced and turned off JavaScript and the video went away. This will likely affect commenting or other things, but it's a start.

cody22 and killarney rose like this.

2. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

Yes, I tried that a week or so back. But it also turns off so many other things the site is pretty much useless for me. I had to turn it back on.

enchilada, cody22 and Gardenista like this.
  3. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

Yes, I've been doing this on my iPad and my Apple laptop for a while now. It does have some side effects, as you suggest, but for me the site is still usable.

The other thing I've done also helps (if you don't want to disable Java): In Safari browser settings, under "settings for this website," I set it to "never auto-play." At least the videos don't play. I don't know if there is a similar setting for non-Apple devices.

cody22, Elainera and Gardenista like this.
  4. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

I just tried that in Chrome, Settings - Media - Block Auto-Play. Restarted browser. It didn't work.

I will try another browser now.

The ads don't bother me as much if they're not huge and obscuring posted content I don't mind and totally understand why Tricia needs them.

The videos however are a problem because of the large amount of data downloaded.

5. BeachSky

BeachSky Well-Known Member

Always..The page I’m trying to look at, freezes up on me. Blacked out.
    Extremely not user friendly anymore. Sad. JMO

beatrixpotter, otto, TristanP and 4 others like this.
  6. tresir2012

tresir2012 Oh! What a tangled web we weave....

Why did a mod tell me a day ago that no one else was complaining when I reported on this problem and told me to reset my cookies?

But now I find there are loads of complaints?

beatrixpotter, cody22, otto and 11 others like this.
  7. MJPeony

MJPeony Well-Known Member

Loads and loads, and for weeks.

8. MJPeony

This.

WS will be an echo chamber on steroids now. Only the true crime people who happen to fall upon the thread with this title, the drive to pick through pages of posts to find a solution that works for their specific device, and the patience to try to fix their device settings will stay on this site.

MOO.

beatrixpotter, Catmammy and TristanP like this.
  9. MissMalowe

MissMalowe Well-Known Member

Like a few posters have already mentioned, I too have a feeling these annoying outdated news videos are here to stay, along with the large ads that sometimes show up halfway down on a full page of replies in a thread.
    I noticed some threads I follow have a random message from mod asking everyone to tune into Tricia's latest podcast (which I believe is now subscription based or pay based) so I'm wondering if perhaps funds are becoming an issue in terms of the cost to run websleuths?

Depending on what the cost would be for a lifetime membership, I would highly consider that if it mean no longer having to deal with videos on auto play and giant ads.

I realize pay sites often means losing a large number of members though too as not everyone is willing or able to pay.

But yeah....that video on the top is the worst.

beatrixpotter, osu and TristanP like this.
  10. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I doubt WS will become an echo chamber on steroids.

I believe that the vast majority of members are like myself, having little to no problems with the videos or other ads.

There are sites that I visit that require me to shut off my blockers to view content, forcing me to have pop up ads and auto play videos. I've made the choice to shut off the blocker to view content on those sites and just put up with the annoyance.

Looks like the ads on this site and many others are here to stay. Getting mad at WS isn't going to change anything so I recommend trying to adjust to it as best you can.

Best wishes and happy Thanksgiving to all.

byo, neesaki, BetteDavisEyes and 3 others like this.
  11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

12. MJPeony

Valid points. And happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

I’m personally no longer having issues with the ads because I, like you, have blocked them for this site on both my phone and on my laptop. I can still read and post here easily, and the ad choices made by Admin aren’t affecting me.

I just can see that many posters are still having problems and getting really frustrated, and not coming to the site as much. So my concern is that WS may lose those members and it will be difficult to gain new contributors. That’s all.

I’m not mad at WS. Admin can do whatever they want because it’s their site. I’m just along for the ride! And like I said, I’m oblivious to the ads and videos now. But I do personally wish there was a better way to get revenue than these new (yet old!) videos, because I think it may create a smaller member community.

MOO

13. Ibiz

Ibiz Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Yea, I wonder if there is a setting to keep the video from auto playing? I personally didn't have a problem with the videos when they were at the bottom of the screen, and I even watched them from time to time, but when they were moved to the top of the screen, they became very hard to scroll past without accidentally clicking on them.

14. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply.

I have a question. How do you know that "many" posters are getting so frustrated that they are limiting their time on Websleuths?

Is there a number of people that you can estimate that are so inclined to do this?

I've only seen about a dozen members who's posts may suggest that they are limiting but not entirely canceling their use of this forum.

That's not very much considering the number of daily users.

I don't think that a subscription model would work for this forum. Nor would a "lifetime" membership fee.

I just don't see enough people willing or able to pay for this. Plus it sure would be a shame to exclude people who care about the missing or victims of crimes and want to help but are on such tight budgets they don't have one extra dollar to spare.

Thus we have ads.

neesaki and MJPeony like this.
  15. MJPeony

“Many” could be an overstatement on my part. You’re probably right- maybe closer to a dozen who still seem to be having problems even after trying to install ad.blockers or modifying their web settings.

There was a higher number initially posting here several weeks ago having trouble, but I’m assuming many of them have been able to block things sufficiently. Although....if we’re truly analyzing it, then we can’t say for sure those posters have found a work-around because it’s possible they just aren’t frequenting WS anymore bc of the site maneuverability. In which case they should be included in the number of people who are no longer visiting, or who are in fact limiting time here. But I have not gone and checked in on every poster who had expressed issues at any point. I can’t say whether they did in fact limit their usage. (And I have no idea how many people may have had issues and yet they never posted on this thread but aren’t hanging out here much anymore bc the videos drove them nuts)

But regardless.... In the grand scheme of things, you’re right that it’s not going to be huge numbers that are driven away. I would still hate to see people not contribute here because of a site navigation issue due to video ads. Nor would I want them irritated every time they tried. Nobody wants fellow WS’ers in bad moods ;) Site navigation- i.e. user experience- is important.

I do agree that a membership model would exclude people as well.

Basically, my holiday wish is for all people, whether or not technology-savvy (in order to modify and install ad.blockers and java etc to use the site), or unable to pay for a membership the ability to happily contribute to WS :D

MOO.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    osu, cody22, otto and 6 others like this.
  16. MissMalowe

MissMalowe Well-Known Member

I agree (about not everyone wanting or having the ability to pay) when I mentioned the membership (lifetime or monthly or whatever) I was thinking in terms of a similar setup as say, Hulu for example- those who don't want to pay or can't would see the ads, still be able to come here and enjoy, and those with memberships could also enjoy, but free of the ads. Everyone would still be able to participate, just different ad experiences.

beatrixpotter, Suglo, MJPeony and 4 others like this.
  17. otto

otto Verified Expert

I've removed personal info and blurred the comment, but this screen shot is from halfway down a page. It's like reading a page in a book where there's an interruption every 2-3 sentences.

upload_2019-11-28_10-31-25.png

18. tresir2012

tresir2012 Oh! What a tangled web we weave....

I don't think anyone objects to ads but when they show up between every single post or worse still for WS, no actual ads but big blank spaces in between the posts as well as the problem with the reply functions it means less time on the site for posters so also less time to see any ads. We are all used to the MSMs that have great big overlays stopping you reading unless you contribute or subscribe or hand over details. Generally, we avoid sites like that in the end. Or use another source.

19. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

I like those coats! You must’ve been coat shopping recently :D

osu, cody22, MissMalowe and 2 others like this.
  20. otto

otto Verified Expert

I was! That's part of the problem, isn't it. Our online activity is being data-mined and websites that we search are now popping up in the ads that we see here.

Has anyone checked to see whether there been an update to privacy in the terms of service?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Lynetta, neesaki, sassyblue and 5 others like this.