Is there a way to turn off video autoplay?

Discussion in 'Forum Finesse' started by Ultra Violet, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

Honest question: are the videos also "ads", in the sense, do they generate funds for Tricia/WS?

2. Elainera

It's annoying I agree but that happens everywhere doesn't it. Browsing incognito helps with privacy.

cody22 and margarita25 like this.
  3. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

The site isn't doing that for everyone. On four different Windows PC's that I use at home and work the ads/videos and not very intrusive.

I've turn off the blocker on my main home machine to see if there's a big problem and there is none. In fact I think I'll leave it turned off here so that WS gets some revenue. JMO.

4. tresir2012

tresir2012 Oh! What a tangled web we weave....

I don't ever use à blocker. Defeats the object if the site needs revenue right? Point I am making is ads are there sometimes and sometimes not - big blank spaces between posts. Others have made that observation too. You are saying you are using a blocker so perhaps that is why you are not having a problem on some of your systems but I am just guessing.

I have also noticed way more guests on line than members most of the time so they would be seeing the ads as well. So revenue based on who sees them would include guests too, I would think.

ETA total on line now 853 (119 members, 595 guests, 139 bots )

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  5. otto

otto Verified Expert

I have a PC and a MAC. I just checked, and you are quite right - advertising is only visible to Apple product users.

All Apple products have massive advertisements between every comment, PC products have no advertising. I think that means there's a problem with the advertising deployment if it doesn't work on a PC.

I'm sure you're looking forward to having the same experience as Apple product users!

beatrixpotter and cody22 like this.
  6. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Just some musings, I do know that targeted ads have been here at WS for a long time. I specifically remember because “turquoise sofas” popped up many moons ago. Targeted ads are the way of the world on many platforms and the majority of websites nowadays, imo.

As far as privacy, I don’t think there really is such a thing when it all comes down to it. The only way to protect one’s privacy is to not use a cell phone or a computer.

Obviously we are all about WS being able to pay the bills, I think we can all agree on that - I think the issue at hand is to find the best paying ad platforms that are the least invasive or disruptive for the performance of the site - an implementation that doesn’t completely take everything over. There are ways that this can be done, imo - successful monetization which can still retain the integrity and performance of the platform. It all comes down to code in the end, specifically very “clean code”, imo. There has to be another way that WS can still earn comparable revenue, without so many technical issues, I would think?

Whatever the case, WS financials really aren’t our business. Hopefully some technical adjustments can be made that can still earn adequate revenue for WS.

Just some thoughts, moo.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    enchilada, Lynetta, neesaki and 4 others like this.
  7. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I'm not having a problem with the ads/videos with the blocker off or on other machines that don't even have a blocker installed.

The idea that everyone is having the problems described by a few individuals on this thread is just not believable to me.

Again I've turned off the blocker on my main home machine so that WS can get some ad revenue from my time here. JMO.

otto likes this.
  8. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I see ads and videos on all of the Windows PC's that I use at home and at work.

They are not very intrusive to me. JMO.

margarita25 and otto like this.
  9. otto

otto Verified Expert

I just checked Websleuths on my PC and there are no intrusive advertisements. That is true. Nothing has changed for PC users. However, everything has changed for Apple product users.

This also explains why Apple product users are a bit horrified about big ads between every comment, and PC product users are bewildered that anyone is commenting about it.

beatrixpotter, osu, sassyblue and 2 others like this.
  10. otto

otto Verified Expert

I agree. PC users cannot believe that there is a problem because it's not a problem on a PC.

I don't turn any settings on or off, and I will not modify my computer for one website.

Hopefully the advertising issues will be sorted out soon so that PC users can enjoy the same experience as Apple users.

beatrixpotter and cody22 like this.
  11. Elainera

I'm on my phone, Android. I have ads all over, between comments, covering part of comments etc.

12. otto

otto Verified Expert

Aren't you lucky! I have the same problem on my iphone. Everything looks different on my dual screen desktop PC - nice and clean interface.

Lynetta, cody22 and margarita25 like this.
  13. CCJD

CCJD Well-Known Member

Bumping Tricia's post for those who may not have seen it.

14. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I'm sure some members are having problems I just don't think it's everyone or even widespread.

For all I know it's an isolated issue with devices that need updates or some minor adjustment. JMO.

15. margarita25

<modsnip>

It is what it is. As one who does some work in the field, perhaps there are some other ad companies/approaches which out there which can be as profitable, yet less glitchy and detrimental to the site’s performance? Maybe not. Just trying to help think of some ideas—I think there may be some possible messiness in the “code”, moo, which may be contributing to the technical issues including placement, etc.

Whatever the case, I just want to express my gratitude for this site, and for @Tricia and the mods, and hope that enough revenue can be earned to keep this site alive and running. We need this site to site alive, it is so important into so many people. I’m all about a fundraising campaign, membership program, whatever I can do to help. If I have to compromise something in my own life to send a few bucks to WS, then I’m willing and happy to do so. Of course some of us may have financial limitations, but surely at least some of us can afford to send a buck or two (or more).

I know one way to help WS is by signing up for this podcast:

URGENT PLEASE READ!!!New Websleuths Radio Podcast/ Very Brave Victime of Serial Killer John Robinson

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
  16. otto

otto Verified Expert

I don't think so. I pulled this Mac out of the box brand new a month ago, and it's a problem for me. Therefore, it's not about old products or failure to update operating system.

Do the same experiment that I did - find an apple product, log in and check out the user interface.

osu and cody22 like this.
  17. SassynOz

SassynOz Well-Known Member

I agree I have a brand new iPhone XS Max. It’s auto updated I even double checked all software is up to date. The problem was horrible for me , I couldn’t use the site until I did a blocker. I was fine with just the video running at the top. But when it would run at the side and play constantly it WAS intrusive to me. I’m often laying with sleeping children etc. so I had no option except to block it. I hate for the site to lose money due to it. But for me personally it was either that or avoid the site completely.

18. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

Most people use their phones to browse websites though, That’s the issue. I don’t know many people in their 20s and 30s who use their computers unless it’s at work. Probably bc most of us are on the computer all day for work so the last thing we want to do is pull out our laptops at the end of the day. This may differ for older generations or those who aren’t on their computers all day for work, idk. But I’m not opening my laptop after work to go online. I’m going to use my phone.

19. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I just went on WS using my Samsung Galaxy J7 and it's better than my PC.

A single video on top that doesn't autoplay and a couple of ads that don't block anything.

kakadu and Elainera like this.
  20. margarita25

(Please excuse my several typos in the above post)

Maybe tomorrow, on Black Friday, we can all click on our targeted ads and buy something. Treat ourselves and WS at the same time.

(You can buy one of those coats, Otto. I like all of them, but my favorite is is the second one from the left. :))