Is there a way to turn off video autoplay?

Discussion in 'Forum Finesse' started by Ultra Violet, Nov 4, 2019.

1. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

my ads are always for cheap clothes from sketchy websites that are based in china. Hard pass on buying anything from those sites lol.

Lynetta, GordianKnot, zecats and 9 others like this.

2. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

...okay? So even if it’s an iOS issue, the majority of people use iOS. Meaning it’s an issue that many people experience, even if you and your laptop/Samsung don’t experience it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Elainera, otto, cody22 and 1 other person like this.
  3. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

Idle Musing - I will now be having "mind pictures" of mooooogarita25 laying around, looking good , on her turquoise couch, eating bon-bons, and solving crimes, for the rest of the evening.

Idle WS money making suggestion - Every time people work their way back to "hat or hair" on the Delphi BG thread, or come up with a new suspect on their Delphi BG pm thread, they have to contribute a dollar to WS......This should start after the first of the year because I still have to buy my wife a couple of Christmas presents... This "trophy husband work" is never ending.
    By the way, I am having no problems on my home/office PC with " you know whats" installed.....Time for more Thanksgiving Coconut Cream pie !.............A big old :) to everyone.....mooooooooooo

osu, sassyblue, MassGuy and 4 others like this.
  4. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

That’s great for you but not what happens if I turn off the blocker on my newer iPhone. I can’t scroll without having a video jumping around the page blocking the content. The people who have been complaining are not doing so for sh-ts and giggles. We are having technical difficulties. So I installed an app that shall not be named. Great for me. Not so great for WS’ bottom line or other users who have older macs and iPhones that can’t get the latest version of an app that shall not be named.

enchilada, Lynetta, SassynOz and 11 others like this.
  5. kakadu

kakadu Well-Known Member

I can confirm it. I'm using Samsung Galaxy S9+.

RANCH likes this.
  6. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Lol! How about every time someone posts a rumor without a link they have to donate $1

7. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

Discussing facebook comments - $2 ;)

8. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

There have been 15,000 viewers on this thread, so I don't think it's a small problem.

Lynetta, SassynOz, Kiranerys and 12 others like this.
  9. drama_farmer

drama_farmer "It's never just a mannequin"

sassyblue, TDoc72 and Elainera like this.
  10. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm]

Nope. I'm on a desktop and I am having all the same issues described. I'm not bewildered at all.

ETA: video at the top and video at the right both autoplay, huge banner ad in the middle of posts, two smaller ads on the right and a huge banner ad at the bottom of posts as well

bears10, osu, margarita25 and 4 others like this.
  11. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I was responding to a post about problems using an Android phone. I never said that people using iOS are not having problems.

12. angelainwi

angelainwi Certified Trauma Counselor

I think the only time I have not been happy to be on an Apple product

osu, MassGuy and cody22 like this.
  13. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

If people have to use blockers to view this site then that's how it has to be. I can use this site just fine with the blocker off and I'm sure that is true for others. JMO

weepingangel likes this.
  14. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I have all of the same things you listed. I have no problem using the site with those ads/videos.

Tricia said that the ads are here to stay. I'm fine with that. JMO.

CCJD likes this.
  15. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

Views of this thread do not directly translate into the number of members who are having problems.

16. Catmammy

Catmammy Opinionated and Owning It

People being quiet now because it has taken so long for a response to our complaints and one that doesn't include a "fix" doesn't indicate a lack of problems. It just means we've gotten tired and given up. Many of us are limiting our time here now. Not my opinion. A fact. But I don't have a problem with your experience or lack of belief in ours.

17. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I'm sure that there are members who are having problems.

How severe these problems are seem to vary. A recent post seemed to say that any sort of ads are a problem. I don't agree with that assessment.

If the mere appearance of a few ads drive some away from this site then I don't know what to say. The description that a few people have posted about ads that block content would be a legitimate problem. Not liking any ads or autoplay videos is not a legitimate problem IMO. I've turned off my blocker so that all the ads and videos are visible. I have no problem using the forum with those running.

Maybe those few people who have posted about legitimate problems can post details of what device and OS they are using plus the exact reason that it prevents them from participating on the forum and then ask if Dave the IT guy can help in any way.

I have a feeling the threats of leaving WS or limiting time here are not working for those who need help with this situation. Time to try something else to get a satisfactory solution. JMO.

18. TDoc72

TDoc72 Well-Known Member

Once again, I don’t have a problem with the ads. It’s the auto-play that is a problem. And if I’m at home or somewhere that has WiFi, I don’t mind it too much. But I don’t have WiFi at work. I usually search around during my breaks, lunch, & occasional other free time I have. And it is using my data, which is not unlimited and not free. Pushing the pause button stops the vid from playing but it still downloads (orange bar across bottom). So I have been limiting my time on Websleuths. I have tried advice posted by others on this thread and tried some I’ve found by googling. It still auto-plays. It’s so frustrating.
    iPhone using safari.
    **I’m also mentioning that the stupid Primis auto play ads/random news reports are dated and not informative.

19. TDoc72

TDoc72 Well-Known Member

IMO it is a legit problem.

I don’t have a problem with the ads. It’s the auto-play that is a problem. And if I’m at home or somewhere that has WiFi, I don’t mind it too much. But I don’t have WiFi at work. I usually search around WS during my breaks, lunch, & occasional other free time I have. And it is using my data, which is not unlimited and not free. Pushing the pause button stops the vid from playing but it still downloads (orange bar across bottom). So I have been limiting my time on Websleuths. I have tried advice posted by others on this thread and tried some I’ve found by googling. It still auto-plays. It’s so frustrating. I’m on an iPhone using Safari.
    **I’m also mentioning that the stupid Primis auto play ads/random news reports are dated and not informative

20. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I see the same Primis autoplay ads on other sites. Do you avoid all sites that use it?

That doesn't seem to be a very good solution. Maybe Apple needs to help it customers with a way to prevent these kinds of problems. JMO