Is there a way to turn off video autoplay?

Discussion in 'Forum Finesse' started by Ultra Violet, Nov 4, 2019.

1. otto

otto Verified Expert

I posted this upthread, here it is again - a screen shot of the middle of a page with an advertisement above and below the short blurred out comment, and a video in the corner.

I like to read a discussion like a read a page in a book - skim a little - but get the point. I can't do that when there's a distraction every 2 sentences.

upload_2019-11-29_0-7-7.png

beatrixpotter, LadyL, Suglo and 3 others like this.

2. otto

otto Verified Expert

The issue with the advertisement is that it's in the middle of the discussion and is distracting. The issue with the video is that it is defaulted to "autoplay" and sucks up data usage.
    upload_2019-11-29_0-10-40.png

3. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

Perhaps people who use mobile devices should look to unlimited data plans to access the internet.

I have a feeling that these autoplay videos are going to become more commonplace in the future. I see them on a lot of sites already.

Some of the sites I visit deny access if they detect any blockers. I have to disable the blocker if I want to view the content of the site. Then I have to deal with autoplay video. IMO there's no way to totally avoid these videos on the internet.

It's sucks that it will cost more money but I feel that it will probably be the best route for a lot of people is to pay for unlimited data.

As for distractions, nobody likes them but they happen. Sometimes the only choice is to try to ignore them the best you can. Here on Websleuths I scroll right on by the ads without even paying any attention to them. JMO.

weepingangel likes this.
  4. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

5. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

I'm sorry to see that some are still having problems on this site. I have not experienced any issues with the site for more than a week.

I appreciated Tricia's post #426 wherein she indicated that adjustments had been made and that advertising is needed to generate revenue to maintain Websleuths. I'm satisfied that member concerns have been addressed. Thanks!

BayouBelle_LA, byo, RANCH and 3 others like this.
  6. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

Opinions - This is an interesting thread. I also think most people having the "problems" do not know this thread exists. I am also surprised that a forum this size cannot have "problem free except glitches" software, as in the past. "Scroll and roll" and " get over it" are also not much in the way of "forum friendly" solutions...... Back to lurking and watching the opposing viewpoints on this show.....moo

7. BeachSky

BeachSky Well-Known Member

BBM
    Yes this!

TDoc72, SassynOz, margarita25 and 5 others like this.
  8. Teche

Teche Well-Known Member

I wish that WS would address it so that everyone can see the post from Tricia. I thought that at first Tricia was looking into the issue and would get back to us. I did see and appreciate that Tricia did respond on this thread. It would be good for all members could see the post. I believe that some concerns are regarding the use of data, videos that don’t relate to the thread, and ads that are between the members posts.

Suglo and Elainera like this.
  9. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

Yeah, if they get their ads "sorted" out and we PC users experience the same thing I won't be here much. lol I sympathize with the apple users because I already know I drop sites that make things a pain in the butt to use. I mean I might look at a Daily Mail article once a week with all it's horrific mess of ads. BUT it's not a site I ever regularly spent hours a day on.

The truth is I value the time I spend online. But I also already think I spend way too much. I expect a certain amount of efficiency in how I use it. A website littered with videos and ads between all the posts? No way. I avoid those like the plague. My "loyalty" lies with myself and my family. Websites that become an ever greater waste of time get dumped. There are absolutely websites I interacted with daily for hours a day over the years that I never ever visit and they are now dead. They all have the consistent issue of ignoring the experience of the user due to needing ad revenue. But they don't have any of that now because they are simply dead. They presumed on the loyalty of the users and lost. Oh, well...what will be will be....

Catmammy, Elainera, otto and 2 others like this.
  10. jypsijemini

jypsijemini On Time Out

I hear you!

I support my partner who hasn't been able to work due to a workplace injury. I work as a casual and get between 20-25 hours a week if I'm lucky. I'm using hotspot off my phone to be able to use Websleuths on my PC. It's easier to navigate between tabs when I want to access Youtube and other news sites at the same time. YouTube ads are bad enough, let alone copping this pop up every time I open a new Websleuths page or click Next on a forum thread.

I live in remote country South Australia which means there's little to no chance of getting any sort of decent internet setup out here. But ever since joining Websleuths a week and a half ago, I'm addicted. This is how I spend my time off. It's such a passion of mine. It allows me to write. It allows me as an amateur and enthusiast to research, learn and investigate real cases that deserve justice.

If this site was ever to monetise membership, I'd have to tap out. I'm a low-wage earner trying to scrape by and support my little family. I can't afford to keep buying extra credit because this site is chewing through my data because they've chosen pop ups that chase me across pages.

Dear Admin,

Please change the settings. Please allow us to opt out of auto pop-ups. Clearly, if we're scrolling past these ads right from the top of the page, we obviously aren't interested in watching the same news story in a smaller window that's been running for the entire week.

Love, your loyal Websleuths <3

Elainera, Kiranerys, otto and 6 others like this.
  11. margarita25

margarita25 Hmmmm...sounds hinky, moo.

Dbm scrolling and rolling

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    MJPeony and cody22 like this.
  12. margarita25

Scrollin and rollin

Oh yay, I forgot I have an IGNORE button

Elainera, Suglo, BeachSky and 4 others like this.
  13. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

thanks for the reminder :)

Suglo, BeachSky, cody22 and 1 other person like this.
  14. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I'm about to use it myself.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
  15. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

I got my coffee..... I got my donuts......I love this thread.....moooooooooo

16. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

It’s not Apple devices. I’m using an IPad for WS and not having any trouble viewing or posting. Once I click off the video on the bottom of my iPad it goes away. I also have an IPhone and no major problems there. The video on the bottom doesn’t come up anymore just the one on top and an ad between the first and second post and one all the way on the bottom.

I feel that Tricia has addressed the issue in this forum and her explanation is satisfactory to me. I would rather see us trying to come up with positive solutions to help others with their devices rather than all the negativity towards the website. JMO

17. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

Excellent post and I couldn't agree more.

neesaki likes this.
  18. margarita25

<modsnip>

O/T, re: Apple, not sure if you guys heard about the last update they did which was supposedly horrible. Tech support even told me not to download it. If you google, there should be some information about this. (I realize the tech issues here include both Apple and Android users, just thought I’d mention it since we’re here in case anyone may be having other issues with Apple.)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
    Elainera, MassGuy, Kiranerys and 5 others like this.
  19. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

You must live in the "BIG city". Some of us live in small towns or other countries and don't have the luxury of unlimited. Even the carriers with unlimited "toggle" back in speed at a certain point. I still have dead space with no cell coverage.

Winter is upon us and some are limited in outside activities. Its usually a time I enjoy WS most. The interaction with others is my pleasure. I'm not a big TV or video fan.

I do understand the need for advertising to support the site, this was my livelihood. WS has to have a way to keep the lights on. After researching, podcasters develope followers from the YouTube and eased into paid channels, most are of 15 to 40 ish age group. It is the future and can be lucrative. I understand the need to tap into and is a wise business decision.

I want WS to be successful and most feel the same. Many of us have made acquaintances, enjoy the debate, love problem solving, and most of all expressing our opinion. Its about interaction verses listening and watching TV/videos. Many here do not fall into the video target market and that is creating frustration and/or additional cost of data. I am one, having to limit my time here due to data limits. It reminds me of when cable TV hit the market many were outraged at paying for what should be free.

I hope we can learn to adapt in a forever changing market and hope the ads contribute enough to support the site.

Respectfully my opinion.

20. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

That's a good idea that I'm sure could help some folks out.

Lets keep these positive ideas coming.