Is there a way to turn off video autoplay?

Discussion in 'Forum Finesse' started by Ultra Violet, Nov 4, 2019.

1. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

I have an android. It works on airplane mode with wifi. I turn on airplane mode, then my wifi. Samsung Galaxy.

2. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Should still work. DH has Samsung Phone and he is able to do so.

RANCH, cody22 and CSIDreamer like this.
  3. otto

otto Verified Expert

Which problem does airplane mode solve again?

teedie2 and cody22 like this.
  4. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

The site eating your data. But you can’t use most apps or websites if you don’t have WiFi while you’re in airplane mode.

Elainera, cody22 and zecats like this.
  5. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Any overage in data usage. I stay in airplane mode at my home most of the time and my phone runs on WiFi instead of phone data.
    That being said, it’s solves nothing for those who also incur data usage from their WiFi use.

In my case, my Xfinity (Comcast) WiFi has unlimited use.

Elainera, cody22 and RANCH like this.
  6. bears10

My home internet (optimum) has unlimited WiFi, but unfortunately the signal in my house doesn’t really reach my bedroom for various reasons (I.e. having a central vac and living on rural Long Island) I don’t get charged overage from my mobile provider, I just get reduced to snail pace, and it’s not fair to the other 7 people I share a plan with. Not to mention how frustrating it is when I’m stuck using snail data at a time I really need to do something that requires internet.

Elainera, Suglo, RANCH and 2 others like this.
  7. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. I have more issues a with Verizon signal for my phone than I do with my WiFi signal. Our house being stone has something to do with it. When leaves are on the trees around the house, it’s even worse. The only thing not possible with airplane mode on is phone calls so I stick with it more often than not.

Elainera and RANCH like this.
  8. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I found this article about boosting your WiFi. Very interesting. Hopefully it can help you and others.

10 Ways to Boost your WiFi Performance

MissMalowe, Elainera and IceIce9 like this.
  9. bears10

yep I have a stone house too lol. My whole town is known for having terrible cell signal. Pretty much all of rural Long Island has crap cell signal. So I have the worst of both worlds in terms of terrible WiFi signal and terrible cell signal. I just wouldn’t be able to access anything in airplane mode bc my WiFi is very spotty when I’m in my room (which is when I usually have time to go online for leisure)

Elainera and zecats like this.
  10. bears10

I appreciate your efforts. This is like internet 101 though. I am pretty good with technology. If there was an easy fix for my home internet issues, I would have done it.

Safeguard, MassGuy and RANCH like this.
  11. Lillymac

Lillymac Well-Known Member

I don't have separate WIFI. Just use the phone provider. Why pay for internet twice just to surf or use apps.
    If you put your phone on airplane mode you don't have internet access unless you hook up to another internet. Be it your separate wifi or wifi provided by the airline. So you still have to have an internet source. Besides I'm fine. It sounded like people were saying all you have to do is put your phone on airplane mode. The key that you then have to hook up to another source was missing. Thanks for pointing that out. Appreciate it. :)

12. Lillymac

Lillymac Well-Known Member

Yes, u get that, but I don't have another wifi source. That's the part I was missing. I'm just careful and don't hit the play on the video. Lol

Elainera likes this.
  13. teedie2

teedie2 Well-Known Member

bbm

I think this advertising outfit is bi-polar. It keeps changing it's manner of attack. One time a theory works, next thing you know, it doesn't.

14. teedie2

teedie2 Well-Known Member

I'm not clicking on ANY ads or videos. Does that mean that I'm not helping generate income for WS and its Podcast?

I don't have java turned off nor, not using a-d blockers, or anything else. I see the big ad at top, scroll past it, read first post, scroll pawt the next ad, and read the next post ..I am on a desktop, and don't use my android s-phone very much.

Anyway. I am still opening WS at almost full screen (manually), and I move the screen to the right to hide the right column. The auto-play small ad, the baby of the large top ad, is still autoplaying, but with the screen setting I use, I never see it. UNLESS I want to view the whole screen for any reason, I F11 it, also If I click on a link and need the full screen to read the l ink. You can't set the screen size to get rid of the small ad, it just moves on over and covers parts of the posts.

Anyway, you can easily go back to your WS reading screen by doing F11 again, and you are back reading on the narrower screen and no little autoplay ad in the right hand side.

Re ads: It is true that you actually have to click on an ad to count as income for the site? If so, that is disheartening. Guess scrolling past doesn't count. :(

Ad companies cannot expect people to click on a video ad that they have seen 5000 times, can they?

Websleuths is the only site I have any real interest in.

And I really need to know if we are supposed to click on the ads.

Safeguard, otto, LaborDayRN and 4 others like this.
  15. cody22

cody22 Well-Known Member

***....moo

Steph8angels, MassGuy and Tippy Lynn like this.
  16. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

I know right? I now give every page a big spin with my scroll finger to end up well past the video and well into the listings/posts. Then I carefully scroll back up to reach the first. ;) :p o_O

If the video fills up the whole screen with no space left to scroll without touching it I employ the wrist maneuver: I turn the phone from horizontal to vertical. There is then a space on the side where I can scroll.

Nobody can tell me I'm not resourceful ;)

Safeguard, teedie2, carbuff and 8 others like this.
  17. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how the advertising package works on this site. In the original post, I was referring to a website I worked on with my company. We owed the site, designed our own software, and worked with vendors that provided products we sold. Our videos were designed as training on how to use specific pieces of commonly ordered medical equipment. We only looked to recover cost of additional bandwidth and servers to watch the videos. Its expensive to run videos online verse pictures.

All site are different and many variations not sure how Primis is structured or what packages they offer or what potential for revenue from users.

MOO..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    dixiegirl1035, bears10, otto and 3 others like this.
  18. otto

otto Verified Expert

I don't think revenue is always dependent on clicking on the ad. Clicking on the page that hosts the ad might be enough.

teedie2, Lynetta, Lillymac and 4 others like this.
  19. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

And now the redirects are starting again. My computer has viruses, my Adobe needs updating. Sigh.....so frustrating.

Suglo, carbuff, kc1023 and 1 other person like this.
  20. kc1023

kc1023 Well-Known Member

I also have quite a few various issues, both on my laptop and on my phone.

ETA: different issues in private conversations vs "out here"

cody22 and zecats like this.