Is there a way to turn off video autoplay?

Discussion in 'Forum Finesse' started by Ultra Violet, Nov 4, 2019.

1. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Oh please. Don’t get me started on the mess with private conversations. Even worse, if possible. Replies don’t post. Big banner ads between each response. Ugh!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019

2. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I can live with the intrusive banner ads and the annoying videos, but every time one of these pops up, I have to close the tab and start over. Arrrggghhhh.

3. rosemadderlake

rosemadderlake Well-Known Member

Same. The “ you won” pop ups are virus carriers. —On my iPad I go to history and delete the offending website, close out WS tab, and restart my iPad.

...and start over.

4. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

I have a Mac laptop and use Safari. I haven't been getting the "you won" popups, but I get redirects mainly saying my antivirus is expired or similar. When I get a redirect, I delete from history, but I also go to Safari>Preferences>Privacy>Manage Website Data, search for the redirect site, and remove it.

And, as I mentioned above, I disable Java before going to the WS site to stop the redirects. This is the only site I visit regularly that has this problem. Seems like it ought be possible to fix it.

katydid23, cody22, MissMalowe and 2 others like this.
  5. carbuff

It looks to me like there's malware somewhere in the servers beneath WS that's inserting their suspect code into the ordinary ads and videos. That kind of thing can be hell to track down and I don't envy the tech people one bit.

cody22, zecats, Lynetta and 5 others like this.
  6. GoneGoldfishin'

GoneGoldfishin' Well-Known Member

Did anyone else get the "new privacy policy" page today? The site wouldn't let me continue reading until I clicked the box. I tried going to a different page, but the block was still there. Just a little concerning considering all the issues and potential malware happening on the site.

zecats, Lynetta, Safeguard and 11 others like this.
  7. WS Admin

WS Admin Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Lots of bad info being shared here so I wanted to jump in with facts and the proof to back it up.

FACT: There is not malware on Websleuths.

PROOF:
    Screen Shot 12-07-19 at 05.55 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 12-07-19 at 05.57 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 12-07-19 at 05.58 PM 001.PNG
    Screen Shot 12-07-19 at 05.58 PM.PNG

zecats, Lynetta, KayElJay and 5 others like this.
  8. Kiranerys

Kiranerys #LiveLikeLizzy

Yep,I did

dixiegirl1035, LadyL, cody22 and 5 others like this.
  9. carbuff

If the ads for fraudulent services and shoddy products from fly-by-night companies are being displayed deliberately, that's even worse.

I know not to click on things like that, but how many of our less sophisticated members are being scammed?

10. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

Yes...I got it also. Agreed to it but am a bit concerned also. I should have read it closer than I did.

11. tresir2012

tresir2012 Oh! What a tangled web we weave....

Bumping.

Safeguard, kc1023 and cody22 like this.
  12. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

You can read the Privacy Policy Statement at this link:
    Best Practices - Privacy Policy Statement

The post was last edited two days ago - FRI 12/6/2019:
    WS Admin, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Friday at 8:55 AM

Best Practices - Privacy Policy Statement

Privacy Policy Statement

We are Websleuths ("we", "our", "us"). We’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. If you have questions about your personal information please contact us.

What information we hold about you
    The type of data that we collect and process includes:

• Your name or username.
    • Your email address.
    • Your IP address.
    Further data may be collected if you choose to share it, such as if you fill out fields on your profile.

We collect some or all of this information in the following cases:

• You register as a member on this site.
    • You fill out our contact form.
    • You browse this site. See "Cookie policy" below.
    • You fill out fields on your profile.
    How your personal information is used
    We may use your personal information in the following ways:

• For the purposes of making you a registered member of our site, in order for you to contribute content to this site.
    • We may use your email address to inform you of activity on our site.
    • Your IP address is recorded when you perform certain actions on our site. Your IP address is never publicly visible.
    Other ways we may use your personal information.
    In addition to notifying you of activity on our site which may be relevant to you, from time to time we may wish to communicate with all members any important information such as newsletters or announcements by email. You can opt-in to or opt-out of such emails in your profile by going to Edit Profile - Settings - Contact Details.

We may collect non-personally identifiable information about you in the course of your interaction with our site. This information may include technical information about the browser or type of device you're using. This information will be used purely for the purposes of analytics and tracking the number of visitors to our site.

Personal Data transfers to the new owner in the event Websleuths is sold.

Websleuths may partner with other true crime outlets and send you information.

Keeping your data secure
    We are committed to ensuring that any information you provide to us is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable measures and procedures to safeguard and secure the information that we collect.

Cookie policy
    Cookies are small text files which are set by us on your computer which allow us to provide certain functionality on our site, such as being able to log in, or remembering certain preferences.

We have a detailed cookie policy and more information about the cookies that we set on this page.

Rights
    You have a right to access the personal data we hold about you or obtain a copy of it. To do so please contact us. If you believe that the information we hold for you is incomplete or inaccurate, you may contact us to ask us to complete or correct that information.

You also have the right to request the erasure of your personal data. Please contact us if you would like us to remove your personal data.

Acceptance of this policy
    Continued use of our site signifies your acceptance of this policy. If you do not accept the policy then please do not use this site. When registering we will further request your explicit acceptance of the privacy policy.

Changes to this policy
    We may make changes to this policy at any time. You may be asked to review and re-accept the information in this policy if it changes in the future.

Last edited: Friday at 8:55 AM
    WS Admin, Jun 7, 2008

13. teedie2

teedie2 Well-Known Member

I keep my sound turned OFF. Primus can't make me listen, even if I can't completely avoid the ads.

I always have sound off because I can't usually understand what is being said online without close caption. Tried a podcast, but it had background music which was so loud that I couldn't hear what the speaker was saying.

We have all survived worse than this, lol. I weigh the aggravation of these ads against the moderation we have here. And moderation wins. I love that we are made to behave by TOS. :)

14. SassynOz

SassynOz Well-Known Member

Yes I did I had to read and agree to proceed

GoneGoldfishin', cody22 and RANCH like this.
  15. carbuff

Hijacking windows to make people think they have to buy a product isn't aggravation, it's ransomware.

GarAndTeed, Safeguard, Suglo and 3 others like this.
  16. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

Do you still feel that Websleuths is infected with malware?

17. carbuff

The administrators posted clear information that it's not malware.

18. Curious Me

Curious Me Long-Time Member from back in the day

I installed a free ms ********** plus only an hour ago. No more videos or ads. I've been checking out old cases on here. In an hour it has blocked 379 ads or videos. That's a lot! This free ********** plus from the ms store is like a miracle.

byo, Elainera, kc1023 and 4 others like this.
  19. Safeguard

Safeguard On Time Out

This!
    I used to love browsing Webslueths but I can't stand it for more than a short while these days, exactly because of that video jumping.

Its so frustrating trying to scroll past that huge video ad at the top! So many times I've clicked by accident, (well not really by accident, more like forced to hit it 'accidentally' unless I want to navigate at dial-up speeds!).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  20. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I prefer to use my laptop when browsing/ commenting here on WS. But the redirects have become so frequent and incessant that I deleted it. I was starting to fear my computer was infected, even though I do NOT click on any of them. I know people who have though and it became a nightmare for them with Apple’s help to get out of the mess.

I’m back to using my phone to read and comment. . Redirects not happening there (knock on wood). I don’t enjoy it as much this way. Print is smaller and I type with my thumb. Disappointed for sure.

Suglo, Catmammy, Curious Me and 6 others like this.