Israel Keyes: General Discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Welcome to Websleuths, @nclady1983

I'm frankly shocked to learn that there are people out there who don't think the ransom photo of poor Samantha is real. Of course it is, and of course she was already deceased when Keyes snapped the Polaroid.

IMO, Samantha Koenig was the true beginning of Keyes' complete unraveling, from the moment he abducted her, through the tool room shed horrors, the ATM card, fake texts and the ransom stuff, to the brazen, risky way he disposed of her body parts.

The tragedy of Samantha is that her life was taken, but also that she became basically an unsung hero afterward, because Keyes had lost all self-control and was never able to kill again.

Except to murder himself, of course.
Unfortunately on the latter point both Mark Oldbury and Jimmy Tidwell disappeared after he killed Samantha (I definitely think he killed Tidwell and am 50/50 on Oldbury), plus he had at least one other failed abduction attempt.

But, and especially based on the above, yes he was completely unglued at that point.

I do think the unraveling was well in progress at the very latest at the time of the Currier trip, and maybe as long as a year before that, but yeah until Samantha I don’t think he had totally lost it.

I also hadn’t realized people thought the polaroid was fake, I can’t wrap my head around that.

Unfortunately on the latter point both Mark Oldbury and Jimmy Tidwell disappeared after he killed Samantha (I definitely think he killed Tidwell and am 50/50 on Oldbury), plus he had at least one other failed abduction attempt.

But, and especially based on the above, yes he was completely unglued at that point.

I do think the unraveling was well in progress at the very latest at the time of the Currier trip, and maybe as long as a year before that, but yeah until Samantha I don’t think he had totally lost it.

I also hadn’t realized people thought the polaroid was fake, I can’t wrap my head around that.
@dub thanks for the important reminder about Mark Oldbury and Jimmy Tidwell. I can be excessively literal sometimes, so by default I think of the known-and-confirmed victims rather than the likely-but-unconfirmed victims.

I am fairly sure Keyes killed James Tidwell, too, but I can't prove it, so I tend to stay with Samantha as the last known victim.

Agree with you that cracks around the edges were emerging during the trip to Vermont and in the killings of the Curriers, but I've long pondered - given his particular self-awareness and intelligence - why Keyes couldn't see it and patch himself up instead of caving fully to his compulsions.

@dub thanks for the important reminder about Mark Oldbury and Jimmy Tidwell. I can be excessively literal sometimes, so by default I think of the known-and-confirmed victims rather than the likely-but-unconfirmed victims.

I am fairly sure Keyes killed James Tidwell, too, but I can't prove it, so I tend to stay with Samantha as the last known victim.

Agree with you that cracks around the edges were emerging during the trip to Vermont and in the killings of the Curriers, but I've long pondered - given his particular self-awareness and intelligence - why Keyes couldn't see it and patch himself up instead of caving fully to his compulsions.
Ah gotcha, my problem is that because Keyes wasn’t arrested until a month and a half after he killed Samantha I often forget that Samantha was before Tidwell rather than after.

And I think his ability to see the unraveling and his ability to patch it up are two different things. I think he COULD see it, at least by the time of the Currier trip, but for whatever reason (which, like you, I wonder about) he couldn’t do anything about it despite knowing it was happening.

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but the reason I think the Currier trip is such an important reference point in this process is that I am extremely confident that he did not plan on killing the Curriers until the night it happened. I think he was cruising for victims some distance away for the previous two days and couldn’t find one, and the Curriers were plan B.

It makes absolutely no sense for him to stay in Essex if that was plan A when Constable is two hours away, and I think that whole thing was against his better judgment but by that point he couldn’t help taking action when he was ready no matter how stupid it was.

I'm frankly shocked to learn that there are people out there who don't think the ransom photo of poor Samantha is real. Of course it is, and of course she was already deceased when Keyes snapped the Polaroid.

IMO, Samantha Koenig was the true beginning of Keyes' complete unraveling, from the moment he abducted her, through the tool room shed horrors, the ATM card, fake texts and the ransom stuff, to the brazen, risky way he disposed of her body parts.

The tragedy of Samantha is that her life was taken, but also that she became basically an unsung hero afterward, because Keyes had lost all self-control and was never able to kill again.

The black and white picture of the girl from front, without braids, is 100% fake.

Ah gotcha, my problem is that because Keyes wasn’t arrested until a month and a half after he killed Samantha I often forget that Samantha was before Tidwell rather than after.

And I think his ability to see the unraveling and his ability to patch it up are two different things. I think he COULD see it, at least by the time of the Currier trip, but for whatever reason (which, like you, I wonder about) he couldn’t do anything about it despite knowing it was happening.

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but the reason I think the Currier trip is such an important reference point in this process is that I am extremely confident that he did not plan on killing the Curriers until the night it happened. I think he was cruising for victims some distance away for the previous two days and couldn’t find one, and the Curriers were plan B.

It makes absolutely no sense for him to stay in Essex if that was plan A when Constable is two hours away, and I think that whole thing was against his better judgment but by that point he couldn’t help taking action when he was ready no matter how stupid it was.
If that’s true (about the Currier’s being 2nd choice in a way), then why did he say he ”made sure it was the right house”? I don’t see much sloppiness in the Currier case, I’d like to hear what in it makes you think so? I think it’s likely he was unravelling; he said so himself. That the last year he’d started to lose control. On that TX trip he put 2800 miles on the car. I don’t think he killed Jimmy Tidwell. Well, sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t! The facts get in the way though. JT’s phone being answered by wife on 16th or 17th, yet the phone disappeared with Tidwell. Why would the wife lie about having seen JT if she was innocent and had nothing to do with it.

If that’s true (about the Currier’s being 2nd choice in a way), then why did he say he ”made sure it was the right house”? I don’t see much sloppiness in the Currier case, I’d like to hear what in it makes you think so? I think it’s likely he was unravelling; he said so himself. That the last year he’d started to lose control. On that TX trip he put 2800 miles on the car. I don’t think he killed Jimmy Tidwell. Well, sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t! The facts get in the way though. JT’s phone being answered by wife on 16th or 17th, yet the phone disappeared with Tidwell. Why would the wife lie about having seen JT if she was innocent and had nothing to do with it.
Re: Tidwell, when his boss called and talked to his wife, as far as I know that was on their home phone, not his cell. But if that’s wrong, or if you’re talking about something else, please point me to it bc that’s not something I was aware of.

I also don’t recall Keyes’ statement about “making sure it was the right house” off hand, but along those lines, one potential hole in my theory is the possibility that Keyes stalked the Curriers well in advance of the murders.

But I think both can be true—he could have stalked the Curriers, but also had not planned on killing them at that specific time, just had them on the radar. Which would also explain the house comment.

I didn’t mention any kind of sloppiness in the Currier murders aside from him staying in Essex and placing himself there when that was totally unnecessary, not sure where you got that.

Eta: to put it another way, if my theory is wrong and Keyes did plan on killing the Curriers on that trip from square one, staying in Essex beforehand when he could have just drove in from Constable is so profoundly stupid and careless that I’d say that indicates he had, without question, fully unraveled at that point.

Exactly. And for years, try and try as I might to tell myself it was fake, on a VISCERAL level I could tell it was real. No one would go that far to reeanact to the point her eyes were dull.

I also agree that Keyes seemed to somewhat fall apart around that time. Almost as if he wanted to be caught (subconsciously).

The black and white picture of the girl from front, without braids, is 100% fake.
Hi there
I'll have to respectfully disagree, and in my next post I will lay it out for you (although I respect your input and opinion).
It is almost undeniably real, after what I've found.

The following is my own opinion, based on my individual research: I do not claim to be part of any "insider" knowledge; this was all done by a gal who wondered for YEARS about this photo and just had to find out.

So, because I had too much time on my hands at work, here is what I did:

I looked at the b&w photo thats always circulating, and I honed in on the newspaper.

I went into Anchorage, Alaskas news archives and pulled up the front page for Feb 13 of that year.

Back to the ransom photo; If you look at the very top, there's a line that says "Daily" and there's a white box afterwards.
The kind of white box that is commonly used to redact something, but in white. I've done it myself many times.

Look closely....in that box is a lighter shade of white than the rest of the newspaper.

Someone intentionally redacted the word "deal" in "daily deals"....ask yourself why?

Furthermore, the newspaper in the ransom photo is the same exact front page I pulled from the archive. I cannot imagine any production team would go so far as to match up the *exact* front page of Anchorage news.

Her eyes are so dull and dim. It would be disrespectful for a tv program to reenact it, to that level.

You can see the remnants of the duct tape around her mouth.

You can tell her jaw is locked in rigor mortis.

At the top of the black and white photo, you can literally see where it was ripped after being taken down off the sign keyes stapled it to ("Aint she purty?' in his words).

All of those things led me to believe it is real particularly the parts I bolded.

The white box was obviously redacted in order to put off people like myself, who would actually go so far as to compare the headlines/front page.

The pages are a dead ringer for one another, with the only difference being the white box after "daily" that has redacted the word "deals".

I wish I could post the screenshots of the info I found, but I'm wanting to be respectful of the rules here and I'm not sure what the guidelines are for posting.

Is there reason to believe it's fake?

If we're talking about the same photo (the one Muddy K references above):

...the ransom note with the photo of Samantha and the proof-of-life copy of the Anchorage Daily News dated February 13, 2012.

FELDIS: She alive in this photo?

KEYES: Nope.

FELDIS: Was she alive when you got back from your trip on the morning of [February] eighteenth?

KEYES: Nope.

FELDIS: Was she alive when you left?

KEYES: That would seem like an obvious question.

- from American Predator, pp.316-17, Kindle edition.

Is there reason to believe it's fake?

If we're talking about the same photo (the one Muddy K references above):

- from American Predator, pp.316-17, Kindle edition.
In the real picture her hair is braided and she has duct tape to keep her mouth closed (since she is deceased).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMonique24
Back